85 % Turnout Expected - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

85 % Turnout Expected

You need to redo your sums. There are 4.2 million registered voters. So we need about 1.7 million YES votes.

And you need to read "around" more closely and see the part where I said the vast majority haven't signed the declaration.

I should have said at that point that the group I described were of the YES persuasion.

And you need to read "around" more closely and see the part where I said the vast majority haven't signed the declaration.

I should have said at that point that the group I described were of the YES persuasion.

I was just trying to give you more accurate numbers. My main point being that there are 4.2 million registered voters, not 3.2 million. That is quite a significant difference.

I was just trying to give you more accurate numbers. My main point being that there are 4.2 million registered voters, not 3.2 million. That is quite a significant difference.

I'm sorry, but there is not 4.2 million registered voters.

4.2 million registered voters and the estimated 800,000 make 5 million people in Scotland over 16 and that leaves just 300,000 under 16s, which I find hard to believe.

The main point is that I was giving rough figures, which I clearly stated.

But on the other hand a high turnout means that a lot of folk who normally don't vote will have decided to make the effort this time. I would like to think that most of them will be making the effort because they want change.

Consider these people who will vote this time who don't normally.

Who are they?

Well, there might be 160000 - 200000 16/17 year-olds who have never voted before.

That leaves, what, half a million others?

Now, these people usually can't get motivated to get up off their collective arses to go to vote in Holyrood or Westminster elections. Why is that? It might be because that they don't see the point in voting becuause, well, nothing ever changes?

Are these people who normally can't be motivated to get up off their arses to vote, going to be motivated to get up off their arses to go to vote to maintain a system within which they normally can't be motivated to get up off their arses to go to vote?

I don't think so.

Full apologies to you. I stand corrected.

I heard on the radio today that there was indeed 4.2 million registered voters.

Don't get me wrong I still believe that the amounts still seem strange, but I am a man of principle and I have heard the same numbers you have quoted today so I will meekly remove myself from this argument and bow to your better knowledge.

I'm sorry, but there is not 4.2 million registered voters.

4.2 million registered voters and the estimated 800,000 make 5 million people in Scotland over 16 and that leaves just 300,000 under 16s, which I find hard to believe.

The main point is that I was giving rough figures, which I clearly stated.

There are 4,285,000 registered voters in Scotland. That's an increase of about 300,000 since the last election. About 150,000 to 200,000 of that increase is due to 16 and 17 year olds. It's your "estimated 800,000" unregistered figure that is wrong. Where did you get that from?

There are about 800,000 to 900,000 under 16s. Population at the last census was 5,328,000. That leaves a maximum of about 100,000 unregistered. The population might have gone up a wee bit since 2011 but no more than 80,000.

Full apologies to you. I stand corrected.

I heard on the radio today that there was indeed 4.2 million registered voters.

Don't get me wrong I still believe that the amounts still seem strange, but I am a man of principle and I have heard the same numbers you have quoted today so I will meekly remove myself from this argument and bow to your better knowledge.

Oops I was busy typing my reply before I saw this. Nae need for apologies. just trying to keep the numbers straight.

FROM Todays Guardian

A record number of people have registered to vote in the Scottish independence referendum, with 97% of the adult population now ready to take part in next week's vote.

A total of 4,285,323 makes this the largest electorate the country has ever known for any election or referendum.

The figure includes 118,640 voters who have registered in the last month alone, as well as 789,024 postal voters. It marks an increase of over 300,000 since the last Westminster election in 2012 and includes 16- and 17-year-olds who have had the vote extended to them for the first time.

The unprecedented levels of registration suggest that predictions of a high turnout next Thursday – Alex Salmond has said that he expects 80% – will come to pass. Turnout in Scotland for the 2010 Westminster election was 63.8%, dipping to 50.4% the following year for elections to the Holyrood parliament