On This Day In 1983... - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On This Day In 1983...

Last 3 horse race in Scotland ; prem lge

Nah. In 85-86 there were only three points between the top three, Celtic 50, Hearts 50, Utd 47. Often forgotten that United would've won the league that year if they had beaten Clydebank and St Mirren at Tannadice in the second and third last weeks. And the Sheep were only three points further back.

86-87 was fairly tight as well, five teams were chasing it that season. Wasn't until Rangers started buying the league a year or two after that it all got very very boring.

Edited by adamntg

Nah. In 85-86 there were only three points between the top three, Celtic 50, Hearts 50, Utd 47. Often forgotten that United would've won the league that year if they had beaten Clydebank and St Mirren at Tannadice in the second and third last weeks. And the Sheep were only three points further back.

86-87 was fairly tight as well, five teams were chasing it that season. Wasn't until Rangers started buying the league a year or two after that it all got very very boring.

If you're invoking the " if my aunt had baws" Clause

Then Dons dropping pts to St mirren at home ; and small matter / distraction of ecwc & scottish cup ; had some say in title going to tannadice

; tight squads back then - loads of lge cup games too....

Then Dons dropping pts to St mirren at home ; and small matter / distraction of ecwc & scottish cup ; had some say in title going to tannadice

My point was that 82-83 wasn't the last three way race for the title.

At the end of the day No city wanderers weren't good enough to win the league that season.

Edited by scoobydoo

In the days when they made proper football strips....

image.jpg

The next seasons DUFC top was my first strip ( i think)

I was 8, it was miles to big for but i chose a DUFC league champions top.

Sure it had a shirt sponsor something like JVC and some writing below the badge, stating their league title.

Sure it had a shirt sponsor something like JVC and some writing below the badge, stating their league title.

VG it was (Eddie Thompson's chain). Started wearing that in 85/86 though. After the one pictured above we had a non-sponsored top (until the 85 Cup Final) with two banded horizontal lines shaded into the tangerine and the League Winners scroll under the badge ?? Edited by McTeeko

VG it was (Eddie Thompson's chain). Started wearing that in 85/86 though. After the one pictured above we had a non-sponsored top (until the 85 Cup Final) with two banded horizontal lines shaded into the tangerine and the League Winners scroll under the badge

Ashamed to say it but I had that VG top as well. One of my neighbour's sons had grown out of it and my Mum made me wear it when playing fitba' in the back yard to save ruining other clothes. Forced to wear a United top..... :worried:

Ashamed to say it but I had that VG top as well. One of my neighbour's sons had grown out of it and my Mum made me wear it when playing fitba' in the back yard to save ruining other clothes. Forced to wear a United top..... :worried:

I knew it !!!!!!

I bloody knew it :lol: :lol: :lol:

JVC was Aberdeen , Charlie & Peter Nicholas era ; 2 tone red squares

think the change was that white with navy lattice work through it

A successful team has reach.