On This Day In 1983... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On This Day In 1983...

In the picture above I was right behind the players, near that post in the old stand enclosure. was like sardines in a tin there - could barely move my arms to clap and had to stand on tip toes to see. amazing day though - i will never forget the emotion at the final whistle.

We are the Champions

And we go to Tannadice because

The boys who wear the black and tangerine

Are gonna take us on a European dream

We are the Champions

And we're Scotland's number one because

We played the other rest and put them out of sight

We are U-ni-ted

On the 14th of May, 1983

Six minutes into the half

The ball soared over Kelly's head

And it was Happy Birthday Ralph

( Chorus again )

Down goes Davie in the Dark Blue box

PENALTY KICK! Opportunity knocks

Kelly saves - has the big chance gone?

NO! Eamonn slams it home

( Chorus again )

United's boys are heroes all

From Hamish to Doddsie, they're on the ball

The Old Firm can't believe their eyes

The flag's at Tannadice

In the picture above I was right behind the players, near that post in the old stand enclosure. was like sardines in a tin there - could barely move my arms to clap and had to stand on tip toes to see. amazing day though - i will never forget the emotion at the final whistle.

I was in there too, and up on the pitch at the end. 12 years old, assumed it would happen all the time.

I don't think I knew Dundee United had won the title at Dens!

That would've been a really cherry on top!

Utd's first three trophies were all won at Dens, within 4 years of exh other. Didn't lift. Trophy anywhere else till 94.

Explains why they hate us, and why we're a bit meh about them.

Edited by adamntg

I was in there too, and up on the pitch at the end. 12 years old, assumed it would happen all the time.

aye, so true Adam. I was about the same age and thought this was the start of many league titles to come. To be fair we were spoilt by what we were watching, and what they achieved in that period was still pretty impressive.

I remember looking towards the provost road end from the enclosure and the tangerine had crept about a third of the way along that end. flags and scarves waving - amazing scenes.

Do you remember the derry charging onto the pitch at full time as well? I thought it was going to kick off but thankfully it didnt. did get bricks lobbed at us out of the hilltoon multi's on the way home though, but nothing was stopping the party that day.

Edited by ShedTA

aye, so true Adam. I was about the same age and thought this was the start of many league titles to come. To be fair we were spoilt by what we were watching, and what they achieved in that period was still pretty impressive.

I remember looking towards the provost road end from the enclosure and the tangerine had crept about a third of the way along that end. flags and scarves waving - amazing scenes.

Do you remember the derry charging onto the pitch at full time as well? I thought it was going to kick off but thankfully it didnt. did get bricks lobbed at us out of the hilltoon multi's on the way home though, but nothing was stopping the party that day.

Last 3 horse race in Scotland ; prem lge

Was a loaded question

Any photos ?

You know the kind ; grown men sitting on the terraces greeting , wearing those horrible 2 tone caps

Albert Kidd ; moustachioed assassin; breaker of dreams

st mirren ; capitulation extraordinare

This sort of thing?

AKidd.jpg

greetingjambos02.gif

albert1.jpg

greetingjambo02.gif