Glasgow - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Moving back to Scotland after 10 years away in a month and a half. Looking to live in Glasgow with the girlfriend, who's never lived in Scotland, and wondered where was good to live these days. I lived in the West End for a year and a half in 2005 but don't really know Glasgow that well apart from that and the city centre. A couple of people have told me the Southside's a better place to live than the West End these days. I think Hampden and a couple of nearby pubs are the only places i've been to there. Any advice...

Welcome home. :)

I've been hearing the 'southside is better than the west end' line for goodness knows how long but I just don't see it. There are similarities but it just seems like a second rate version. Mind you, I'm a west end lad, so maybe I am just being tribal. You certainly get more bang for your buck over in the southside but to be honset, if you are coming from London, then just about anywhere will seem cheap. Shawlands is a nice area in that part of town, I believe.

In the west end, Anniesland, Hyndland, Jordanhill and North Kelvinside are all recommended. Finnieston is an 'up and coming' area close to the city centre that I quite like too.

Another area worth considering is Dennistoun in the east end. I was there a few months ago and was very impressed - loads of nice shops, cafes, bars etc there now, easy access to the city centre and cheaper than both the southside and the west end.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how much dosh you have.Croftfoot' or kings park is quiet and affordable and handy for everything. . avoid Govan. Govanhill ibrox. Gorbals has loads of new houses and is handy for the town.or city centre seems to have loads of flats now.. Nicer areas like Clarkston Giffnock are expensive and bit out of the way. I wouldn't stay in the north of city as always been a southsider.

Arden (G46) will be the paradise which you are seeking !

Welcome home. :)

I've been hearing the 'southside is better than the west end' line for goodness knows how long but I just don't see it. There are similarities but it just seems like a second rate version. Mind you, I'm a west end lad, so maybe I am just being tribal. You certainly get more bang for your buck over in the southside but to be honset, if you are coming from London, then just about anywhere will seem cheap. Shawlands is a nice area in that part of town, I believe.

In the west end, Anniesland, Hyndland, Jordanhill and North Kelvinside are all recommended. Finnieston is an 'up and coming' area close to the city centre that I quite like too.

Another area worth considering is Dennistoun in the east end. I was there a few months ago and was very impressed - loads of nice shops, cafes, bars etc there now, easy access to the city centre and cheaper than both the southside and the west end.

I really like Hyndland too. Prices are just so prohibitive though especially if you're looking for a house. We've just moved to a wee house at the south end of Victoria Park. It's technically Whiteinch but I'm starting a campaign to have it rezoned as "Lower Jordanhill"! :P

. . avoid Govan

Why would anybody in their right mind, want to avoid moving to the Tranquil scenic Clydeside fishing village of Govan

great place to be a DSS fraud officer.

You might have worked with my sister, as she did the same job in the 80's (And she wonders why I dont talk to her)

Definitely Dennistoun, I'm from there originally but grew up a few miles east in Garrowhill. Dennistoun has changed so much since the 80's when it wasn't such a great place to live. Loads of great cafés and bars - Except the Louden and the Bristol...Alexandra Park is massive and a great place to chill out in summer, three train stations plus decent bus routes to all sides of the city...And it's only 30 mins walk from George Square.

Edited by derekfaejapan

Definitely Dennistoun, I'm from there originally but grew up a few miles east in Garrowhill. Dennistoun has changed so much since the 80's when it wasn't such a great place to live. Loads of great cafés and bars - Except the Louden and the Bristol...Alexandra Park is massive and a great place to chill out in summer, three train stations plus decent bus routes to all sides of the city...And it's only 30 mins walk from George Square.

:ok:

Don't forget the famous Crown Crighton pub :lol:

Bloody sausage fingers and iPhones don't belong together !! :lol:

The famous CROWN CREIGHTON !!!

Last time I was in Dennistoun I also noted a superb range of takeaways too...Aye, Merchant City East would be my first place to look at if I move back to Glasgow :ok:

Finnieston was (maybe still is) a cheap way to get into the west end. Yorkhill has a lot of 'first time' buyer flats in the 100k range but the value has gone from there I feel. It is an efficient market in Yorkhill as all the flats are very similar.

I would imagine Maryhill will go the same way as Finnieston at some point down the road, look how close it is to the west end... I would maybe get in there now.

G41 & G42 would be my non west end choice but you will not go wrong betting on the west end in the long term. I bought a flat in Finnieston years ago on the logic that the west end is expanding.

Maryhill will be the next Finnieston IMHO. You heard it here first. :wink2:

Finnieston has now almost completely taken over by hipster establishments serving sausage and mash in knickerbocker glory glasses.

It disappeared up its own arse about 18 months ago.

Yeah that is the other problem with the west end, there is a black hole (i.e. its own arse) which it disappears up as quickly as it takes over yet another area of pristine city jakieness. And converts it into hipster whankdom.

It is like a cancer...

Finnieston was (maybe still is) a cheap way to get into the west end. Yorkhill has a lot of 'first time' buyer flats in the 100k range but the value has gone from there I feel. It is an efficient market in Yorkhill as all the flats are very similar.

I would imagine Maryhill will go the same way as Finnieston at some point down the road, look how close it is to the west end... I would maybe get in there now.

G41 & G42 would be my non west end choice but you will not go wrong betting on the west end in the long term. I bought a flat in Finnieston years ago on the logic that the west end is expanding.

Maryhill will be the next Finnieston IMHO. You heard it here first. :wink2:

G43, ya daft goat!

I live in Kings Park and I'm pretty sure that G44 was recently announced as the most desirable postcode in Scotland.

didn't know there were jags in my neighborhood :-(. But as you said g44 is the best also had the highest number of snp voters and also voted yes. Proud to stay here.