Human Rights - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Human Rights

Guest flumax

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of the LibDem handbrake, they may say "you'll regret you got rid of us" but on the other hand, by propping them up even while curbing the worst excesses of the Tories, they made the prospect of a Cameron-led government less scary than it would have been. If we'd had 5 years of pure full-on Tory regime, they might have been voted out by now, rather than voted in. IMHO.

This

Agreed - it's like that bit in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where all the colourful stuff falls off the child catcher's wagon to reveal that it's actually a cage on wheels. The Lib Dems are basically the political equivalent of lollipops and balloons.

They've only just got their foot in the door and they're proving what a shower they are.

Agreed - it's like that bit in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where all the colourful stuff falls off the child catcher's wagon to reveal that it's actually a cage on wheels. The Lib Dems are basically the political equivalent of lollipops and balloons.

They've only just got their foot in the door and they're proving what a shower they are.

:-)):ok:

Now that the LibDem handbrake has been removed, expect more policies of this ilk, designed to appease the uber right-wing of the party and the nutters in the Tory press.

I think it was in the manifesto in the first place as something they could 'give up' in coalition negotiations, not something the Tory leadership actually wanted. Now their hens have come home to roost. But that's what happens when you're a Tory and will promise anything to hold on to power.

Yet another piece of half arsed populist crap from a lazy kkunt of a Prime Minister (who's probably not even bothered to read the fecking Human Rights Act) designed to appeal to other lazy halfwits and pub bores who don't know what the Human Rights Act says and get all their 'news' from the Daily Mail and the Sun.

As Lord Bingham said - which of these rights do we want to discard?

The UK establishment fails at the second hurdle on that list. Maybe even the first.

This British Bill of Rights is pretty interesting as it raises serious constitutional issues and appears to be borne out of total ignorance of devolution in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Amending the Scotland Act in this way is only going to stoke the flames of independence and unravel the Good Friday Agreement.

I don't see how anyone can definitively say that it won't apply in Scotland as in theory Westminster can amend the Scotland Act and even abolish the Scottish Parliament if they choose to. Being more realistic, the 'British' Bill of Rights may simply end up clever Tory electioneering to eurosceptics and only become applicable to England and Wales.

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/scotland-and-human-rights-act-abolition.html

http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2014/10/02/will-devolution-scupper-conservative-plans-for-a-british-bill-of-rights/

Love the analogy. :beer2:

Yet another piece of half arsed populist crap from a lazy kkunt of a Prime Minister (who's probably not even bothered to read the fecking Human Rights Act) designed to appeal to other lazy halfwits and pub bores who don't know what the Human Rights Act says and get all their 'news' from the Daily Mail and the Sun.

As Lord Bingham said - which of these rights do we want to discard?

Since you asked, Freedom of religion.

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it

The Justice Secretary's plans for an 'English' Bill of Rights could put the Union at risk again

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-determined-to-scrap-human-rights-act--even-if-scotland-retains-it-10286974.html

Edited by exile

I don't think it's possible for the state or anyone else for that matter to dictate what an individual believes.

It would be, however ,in my opinion entirely acceptable for the state to make the practising or promotion of religion against the law. It's not the thin end of any wedge, it would just be another law that's there to stop us doing stuff that's either detrimental to the individual or society as a whole, plenty of those sort of laws around already.

Oh, and 'the right to not have our property taken away unless in the public interest and with compensation' hardly strikes me as being written by a champion of the poor,powerless and disenfranchised, more like it's been written by some ruling class capitalist fat cat that will chuck you out of you house, land,territory if and when it's suits him, cos we all know who decides whats in the 'public interest'.

No, do tell, surely the state bans loads of stuff already, drugs, conmen duping people out of money(see 'religion'),singing naughty songs at the football...

I wasn't offering to educate, i was just seeing if you had informed yourself before entering the debate. I wouldn't ban songs or drugs. Folk stealing property is different in my eyes. All in my own opinion of course.

It takes the school bullies to have a go at Gove. Be in his shoes for once, just once.

Apparently got a shoeing from the Aberdeen Casuals back in the day.

A3eJYD3CcAAjKyD.jpg

Edited by aaid