Game Of Thrones - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Stannis parts were pretty badly developed. There was no real reason for him to do what he did, what does he even get in return? Seemed like a hell of a gamble.

The Dany section at the end was good, another few interesting things there for the book readers. More questions being answered about things coming up in TWOW!

I guess he wanted to break the snow storm.

Anyone going to burn a family pet for good weather in Dublin?

J

Stannis seen no future for his daughter so probably seen death for her as salvation. The manner of her death was shocking but he is bewitched by Melisandre and coupled with this an utter determination to claim his destiny at all costs. Remember he has already been complicit in the murder of his own brother. Also the lack of motherly love for the girl contributed to her being sacrificed, only for the mother to realize what she has done post burning.

At least in the books you get a real feeling of desperation and starvation in Stannis' camp. It just seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to getting some food burned.

I rolled my eyes at the part when Davos said: "Looks to be the work of about twenty men" after last week Ramsay asking his father for "twenty good men." Yes, definitely not the work of 15 or 25 men, eh? We get it, we understand who lit the fires, you don't have to hammer home the point.

At least in the books you get a real feeling of desperation and starvation in Stannis' camp. It just seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to getting some food burned.

I rolled my eyes at the part when Davos said: "Looks to be the work of about twenty men" after last week Ramsay asking his father for "twenty good men." Yes, definitely not the work of 15 or 25 men, eh? We get it, we understand who lit the fires, you don't have to hammer home the point.

Also Stannis is perhaps the most stubborn person who has ever lived, with Iron control of his men, as demonstrated at Storms end siege during Robert's uprising. Who went from one of the most ablest commanders in Westeros to someone who leaves his food supplies unguarded.

Weird also Davos wouldn't do for Shireen what he did for Edric Stone. Is Edric Stone in the series?

The other weird thing is the producers say "GRRM told us about this happening"

Which is fair enough however in the books Stannis has left them all at the wall. So it can't happen the same way. Although i suspect it will happen to provide the "power" to solve another "problem" that happened at the wall. Which will probably happen next episode so will say nothing.

Weird also Davos wouldn't do for Shireen what he did for Edric Stone. Is Edric Stone in the series?

He was merged into Gendry, so in the show Davos set Gendry free in a rowing boat. He must still be out there rowing now, as he hasn't been seen since.

Speaking of which - even Melisandre using Gendry's kings blood was only 2/3 successful, as Balon Greyjoy still lives in the show. So he's sacrificed his daughter on a 66% chance of it working.

He was merged into Gendry, so in the show Davos set Gendry free in a rowing boat. He must still be out there rowing now, as he hasn't been seen since.

Speaking of which - even Melisandre using Gendry's kings blood was only 2/3 successful, as Balon Greyjoy still lives in the show. So he's sacrificed his daughter on a 66% chance of it working.

Cool. Cheers :ok:

Did you get flash-backs to the never-ending story with dany and her luck dragon?

Looking at it last night, I'm not convinced Wun Wun would have made it through the gate at The Wall!

I still don't know why they sailed from Hardhome to the Wilding side of the wall, and then walk down to Castle Black (whichis in the middle of the wall), rather than keep sailing to the Westeros side of the wall, and approach Castle Black from that side. I assume they took the sea route since they were there & back so quickly.

The_Wall_Map.PNG

Edited by harrystarfish

It's like Eastwatch by the sea doesn't exist. That's the name of the fortress guarding that side. Cottor Pykes abode.

Also Since when did Meryn Trant become a paedophile? He just does whatever the monarch tells him without thinking about it. I guess Arya is going to stick him so they need to make it morally acceptable or something.

Edited by phart

It's all pointing towards the R+L=J theory. Stannis can no longer be the "hero" certainly not in the show.

I can see the Baratheon and Bolton hosts cancelling themselves out and the remains of the Starks coming back to the fore.

The 7 Kingdoms will eventually cotton on to the White Walker threat. Will it be Dany and her dragons to the rescue?

J

Well that's another line of the 7 great houses extinguished , i see mellisandre borrowed shadowfax off gandalf.

Oooh, a cryptic spoiler! Looking forward to seeing this when I get in after work. I think I might have caught wind of a spoiler earlier and I'll be a but surprised if what I think I saw actually happens but I did only glance at it for a second before looking away!

Well that's another line of the 7 great houses extinguished , i see mellisandre borrowed shadowfax off gandalf.

Oooh, a cryptic spoiler! Looking forward to seeing this when I get in after work. I think I might have caught wind of a spoiler earlier and I'll be a but surprised if what I think I saw actually happens but I did only glance at it for a second before looking away!

similarly. wasnt in the mood for much Telly after dublin but looking forward to this tonight.

The thing i said didn't even happen in the show, it's more looking past the events into the implications of the actions.

It must be a product of reading the books first and the characters being so well developed over 1000's of pages, plus the ability to show internal thoughts in books much better than on screen, but the show seems like really bad fan fiction to me.

It's all pointing towards the R+L=J theory. Stannis can no longer be the "hero" certainly not in the show.

I can see the Baratheon and Bolton hosts cancelling themselves out and the remains of the Starks coming back to the fore.

The 7 Kingdoms will eventually cotton on to the White Walker threat. Will it be Dany and her dragons to the rescue?

J

Jon Snow will have to either kill Dany who is fire and the other "night's king" who is ice, or broker the peace as he has ice and fire in his blood. Weirdly it was last millennium when R+L=J first came about as a theory. That's how long the series has been.

Some folk reckon the Others are not the bad guys, it's just the context of the relationship has been lost to the mists of time. So the wall might have been built by the actual others to delineate a De-militarised zone type of thing. Sam will eventually figure it out and tell someone.