Tory Right To Buy - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I don't think anyone is necessarily arguing that buying council houses is wrong per se"

I am - I think we need a whole new outlook on homes and tenure and new types of tenure. Because of this particular policy the UK housing market is heavy on the side of home ownership which it didn't used to be and at odds with much of Europe which has a much different approach with much better renting system. If you get the rented sector right this allows for much more flexibility to move for jobs etc while still having security and a lot of other benefits besides.

However I would have had a lot less of an issue with Right to Buy if the discounts had been small and there had been much stricter legislation around who could buy so family members who did not live in the house could not buy it and if they did so and were found to have done they would have been prosecuted and the house repossessed. Plus if the LA's had been reimbursed for the loss due to the discount and allowed to build more as a result then I would have had much less of an issue.

Not enough houses.

Houses too expensive.

That's the basic problem.

Has this not always been a problem though

They built Scottish specials in 70 s to handle influx of migrant oil workers

( yeah they too were open to buy...)

I bought in Westhill 12 years back on return from London as couldn't afford city

Has this not always been a problem though

They built Scottish specials in 70 s to handle influx of migrant oil workers

( yeah they too were open to buy...)

I bought in Westhill 12 years back on return from London as couldn't afford city

No idea about the 70s, but having spent the last ~2 years trying to get my own place, I've seen the flats i'm looking at go up about £30k in price.

Alright if you already have a place, but if you don't - you're ####ed.

I am - I think we need a whole new outlook on homes and tenure and new types of tenure. Because of this particular policy the UK housing market is heavy on the side of home ownership which it didn't used to be and at odds with much of Europe which has a much different approach with much better renting system. If you get the rented sector right this allows for much more flexibility to move for jobs etc while still having security and a lot of other benefits besides.

However I would have had a lot less of an issue with Right to Buy if the discounts had been small and there had been much stricter legislation around who could buy so family members who did not live in the house could not buy it and if they did so and were found to have done they would have been prosecuted and the house repossessed. Plus if the LA's had been reimbursed for the loss due to the discount and allowed to build more as a result then I would have had much less of an issue.

Fair enough, I guess what angers me is that house prices are so unaffordable and if you end up renting privately you just pay through the nose, it's dead money. Back in 1990 I was paying nearly £400 a month for a grotty unfurnished one bedroom flat, when we got a mortage for our first house we ended up paying less! I hate all this encouragement to buy-to-let and treating houses as get rich quick investments rather than places to live. So i do agree that we need a new outlook and the current right to buy proposals aren't addressing that in the slightest.

Edited by Hertsscot