Rankings - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rankings

nek

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25% = 1 in 6? Mmm, ok then.

Virtually no chance = approx 1 or 2% chance. Or in Deccie maths, 1 in 2 probably.

Settle down precious, it was a lazy joke about there being 6 pots. Edited by deecie

Well noticed man! :ok:

I'd take either of those groups right now

That said, we'll end up with something like;

Netherlands
France
Scotland
Turkey
Lithuania
Liechtenstein
:lol:

I'd quite like to get Turkey.

Always fancied going to Glasgow Airport to hold up a "Welcome to Heaven" sign to greet their players on arrival.

Well noticed man! :ok:

I'd take either of those groups right now

That said, we'll end up with something like;

Netherlands

France

Scotland

Turkey

Lithuania

Liechtenstein

:lol:

LOL, guaranteed to get Lithuania, we are like separated conjoined twins when it comes to draws. Swap Liechtenstein for Faroes and we have our familiars with us.

Out of intrest when did we last play Latvia or Estonia in a competitive match. one team in Tallin springs to mind with Estonia, so that would have been 96/97. Our Baltic buddies seem to be massively skewed to us.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Out of intrest when did we last play Latvia or Estonia in a competitive match. one team in Tallin springs to mind with Estonia, so that would have been 96/97. Our Baltic buddies seem to be massively skewed to us.

Had Estonia in the Euro 2000 qualifiers (qualifiers after the "One Team in Tallinn" match) and Latvia for the WC 2002 campaign (McCann scoring with the last kick of the ball in Riga in the opening game)

Had Estonia in the Euro 2000 qualifiers (qualifiers after the "One Team in Tallinn" match) and Latvia for the WC 2002 campaign (McCann scoring with the last kick of the ball in Riga in the opening game)

I have absolutely no memory of those games.

(Old age).

Still well overdue a trip to Estonia or Latvia.

And where's our draw with Slovakia? Don't think we've ever played them and Bratislava is ment to be cracking.

J

(Old age).

And where's our draw with Slovakia? Don't think we've ever played them and Bratislava is ment to be cracking.

J

I remember more about the U21s game in Tallinn in 99. Great atmosphere and some good goals especially from Gavin Rae.

Lee Wilkie and Paul Dalglish were playing.

The main game was awful and forgettable.

I'll never forget the last minute winner in Riga. It was the first game and a tough start. We were resigned to a draw when McCann popped up with a winner.

I stayed in Bratislava on way to Graz in 2005 and after Vienna in 2007. It's ok but we had a lot of difficulty getting in late night clubs with kilts on.

Edited by Jagtag

Slovakia would not play us in Bratslava (no stadium) as they are using zilina up by the Polish Border for their international games.

Save that one for when new national stadium is complete in a couple of years time, as had a brilliant time there on route to Skopje in 2013 (we flew in from Edinburgh then headed along to Vienna for onward flight, when everyone else flew via London to catch the onward flight)

Edited by wanderer

(Old age).

J

Both games were forgettable... Estonia away was 0-0 and killed our chances of winning the group... Latvia we started Matt Elliott up front..... (Says it all!)

Ok I know I'm thick and don't understand how the ranking points work... But can some one in very simple terms explain why it would hurt our chances of pot 2 if we beat quatar thanks

Very simply, beating them would give us very few points as their ranking is so low and this would actually decrease our average points.

For example;

Beat Georgia - 10pts

Draw Poland - 5pts

Beat Ireland - 20pts

Lose England - 0pts

Ave Points - 8.75

Beat Georgia - 10pts

Draw Poland - 5pts

Beat Ireland - 20pts

Lose England - 0pts

Beat Qatar - 5pts

Ave Points - 8

(this is an extremely crude way of detailing how FIFA rankings work but hopefully illustrates how playing a low ranked team in a friendly can negatively affect your ranking regardless of the result)

Edited by Lion Rampant

Ok I know I'm thick and don't understand how the ranking points work... But can some one in very simple terms explain why it would hurt our chances of pot 2 if we beat quatar thanks

darryl broadfoot is that you?

Very simply, beating them would give us very few points as their ranking is so low and this would actually decrease our average points.

For example;

Beat Georgia - 10pts

Draw Poland - 5pts

Beat Ireland - 20pts

Lose England - 0pts

Ave Points - 8.75

Beat Georgia - 10pts

Draw Poland - 5pts

Beat Ireland - 20pts

Lose England - 0pts

Beat Qatar - 5pts

Ave Points - 8

(this is an extremely crude way of detailing how FIFA rankings work but hopefully illustrates how playing a low ranked team in a friendly can negatively affect your ranking regardless of the result)

Ahh ok I kinda understand thanks ??