Whiskey - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tried jura for the first time in years and was very surprised with how much i liked it, i didnt like it in my early 20's... someine eccentric lad once told me your taiste buds change every ten years

Which one did you try? Love origin but the others are too peaty for me

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, I feel guilty whenever I drink it. I kind of wanted not to like it but I did.

Can I redeem myself by saying that I also had a few glasses of Penderryn Welsh whisky last summer & it was horrible?

I am a big fan of French whisky...

http://www.distillerie-warenghem.com/whisky-breton/whisky-single-malt.php?p=0&ID=44

Which one did you try? Love origin but the others are too peaty for me

Origin's good, you may want to try Elixir if you haven't already - quite a nice one. I'm not a fan of Superstition, the peaty taste of it seems a bit synthetic to me.

Mackmyra - my sister's lived in Sweden for nearly 40 years and she and her husband always seem very proud of their biggest whisky brand but they don't drink it and have never offered me one (relying on me to bring a nice Aberlour of Tobermory etc).

Hibiki - really interesting to hear that Souness' 'Tache. My son spent some time working for a major whisky retailer and he's heard the same -and also that Russians and Japanese pay big money for some off these older bottlings. When I met him in Traf Sq for the England game, he'd just sold a Macallan for £22,000. Where did you send it to, I asked him - nowhere, he just walked out with it tucked under his arm!

I've a bottle of Mortlach in the hoose, what are folks opinions of it? never seems to get mentioned.

I have two Mortlachs, a 16 and 17 year old (the latter bottled by Rattrays). Was strongly recomended to me by a couple of lads in the know. One of the finest whiskys I've ever tasted.

I've been collecting whisky for about 15 years and have just shy of 80 bottles in a cabinet on display - a fully operational display mind. Tasted some fine specimens in my time but the one thing I've learned is that age makes a huge difference. Been very lucky with big birthday contributions to my display so have a 30 year Moray, 25 year old Highland Park, 20 year old Springbank and a good few 15 year old Islays. Moving forward, I'm trying to by nothing less than 15 year olds...nae cheap though!

For those starting on whisky for the first time, I'd recommend pretty much any Balvenie - the older the better!

I have two Mortlachs, a 16 and 17 year old (the latter bottled by Rattrays). Was strongly recomended to me by a couple of lads in the know. One of the finest whiskys I've ever tasted.

I've been collecting whisky for about 15 years and have just shy of 80 bottles in a cabinet on display - a fully operational display mind. Tasted some fine specimens in my time but the one thing I've learned is that age makes a huge difference. Been very lucky with big birthday contributions to my display so have a 30 year Moray, 25 year old Highland Park, 20 year old Springbank and a good few 15 year old Islays. Moving forward, I'm trying to by nothing less than 15 year olds...nae cheap though!

For those starting on whisky for the first time, I'd recommend pretty much any Balvenie - the older the better!

Puts my miniature collection to shame :ok:

Ive justy recently stared drinking whisky after a tasting Dalwhinnie after a tour there (Worth doing, great tour)

So far Ive had a bottle of

Dalwhinnie

Cardhu oak casket

Glenmorangie

Glenmorangie Lasanta

Old Pulteney

The Old Pulteney is bar my favourite follow by the oak Cardhu

Next on my list is Gen Garioch

There is a whisky shop at the end of my street, they even has a tasting section with over 100 bottles so you can try before you buy, i came out of there at 11am one morning half canned, fair size of drams the boy poured too :-))

Ive justy recently stared drinking whisky after a tasting Dalwhinnie after a tour there (Worth doing, great tour)

So far Ive had a bottle of

Dalwhinnie

Cardhu oak casket

Glenmorangie

Glenmorangie Lasanta

Old Pulteney

The Old Pulteney is bar my favourite follow by the oak Cardhu

Next on my list is Gen Garioch

There is a whisky shop at the end of my street, they even has a tasting section with over 100 bottles so you can try before you buy, i came out of there at 11am one morning half canned, fair size of drams the boy poured too :-))

Glen Garioch is good stuff. From Oldmeldrum.

Tried jura for the first time in years and was very surprised with how much i liked it, i didnt like it in my early 20's... someine eccentric lad once told me your taiste buds change every ten years

Appreciating the more individual single malts is, like chronic bladder problems and a liking for blue cheese, something that increases with age.

Glen Garioch founders reserve on Amazon lightning deal at 6 o clock, could be worth a purchase depending on how good the deal is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JZJPM64/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_8707_178d6801?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=0PDEEYYVCSNKSBNJ110F&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=577138707

Edited by in5omniac

Glen Garioch founders reserve on Amazon lightning deal at 6 o clock, could be worth a purchase depending on how good the deal is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JZJPM64/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_8707_178d6801?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=0PDEEYYVCSNKSBNJ110F&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=577138707

£27.16 for a bottle.

It bemuses me that folk say they 'enjoy the taste' of whiskey (yeah whiskey).

What a load of pish, the stuff is totally disgusting as is pretty much any hard spirit.

Reminds me of folk saying they enjoy smoking. They like the taste of a cigarette... No you don't

Not one person on here saying they enjoy the taste would drink another drop if there was no alcohol in it.

The same for all the wine snobs. You would not buy another bottle if the booze was taken out.

Blue cheese on the other hand is ing magnificent.

What a load of pish, the stuff is totally disgusting as is pretty much any hard spirit.

Reminds me of folk saying they enjoy smoking. They like the taste of a cigarette... No you don't

Not one person on here saying they enjoy the taste would drink another drop if there was no alcohol in it.

The same for all the wine snobs. You would not buy another bottle if the booze was taken out.

What a load of pish

Would you still like blue cheese if they took the cheese out?

Not every can get it, you're just unlucky. The fact whisky (and certain other spirits) contains alcohol is a total bonus.

I kind of agree that the alcohol is part of the attraction but that is because (without trying to be totally pretentious about it), whisky drinking is an experience. If I want to just get ratted there are cheaper & easier ways to do it. I think that you are wrong about not enjoying the taste, but I don't enjoy it in the same way I enjoy a brown sauce-coated bacon butty for example. I think there's a sensation of which taste (or tastes) is a crucial part but the effect of the alcohol is (in my opinion anyway) also part of it.

Blue cheese on the other hand, I still don't get!

I've already bribed my son to drive me around as well, so thanks for the top tip :cheers3:

No need for a driver. The new footpath from Port Ellen out to Ardbeg is now finished. Takes you to Laphroaig and Lagavulin before ending up At Ardbeg.

Ardbeg also have a very nice cafe/restaurant which should help provide something to soak up any samples.

You'll need a driver for the farm distillery Kilchoman though. It's in the middle of nowhere! Cracking beach nearby though that would provide the perfect spot for a post Slaìnte sleep.