Cancelling Tv Licence - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cancelling Tv Licence

My contract obligations to Virgin Media have just expired so now in a place where I can set about cancelling the TV subscription and with it the TV licence. I know a few people have done this since the referendum so looking for a bit of advice on what I can and cannot watch, just to stay this side of the law.

I have Apple TV, a PS3 and a subscription to NFL Gamepass and Netflix. Basically when I'm home I watch live and recorded NFL on a paid subscription through my laptop or Ipad relayed on to the TV via Apple TV. I watch Netflix via Apple TV and I guess I would watch BBC iPlayer through the PS3. There is no TV ariel into the flat and I will be losing the Tivo box when the 30 day cancellation period ends on Virgin. Probably going to stay with them on a broadband and landline package.

So the question I basically have is, does the above sound OK to go licence free on. What's the deal with BBC iPlayer? And also, is there any other things I should or could set up to get additional audio visual entertainment?

TT

PS I assume you just call up the licence people once the cable has been cut and cancel??

As far as i know , if you can see or hear (radio) a bbc programme in your house you have to pay.

Don't need a licence to listen to BBC radio. I went without a TV for 12 years, had to deal with some hassle from TV Licensing as a result, but radio was never a problem.

Incidentally, to ensure a quality thread: in standard British English the noun is licence while the verb is license.

Don't need a licence to listen to BBC radio. I went without a TV for 12 years, had to deal with some hassle from TV Licensing as a result, but radio was never a problem.

Incidentally, to ensure a quality thread: in standard British English the noun is licence while the verb is license.

Think you'll be fighting a losing battle on here, Donny.

My contract obligations to Virgin Media have just expired so now in a place where I can set about cancelling the TV subscription and with it the TV licence. I know a few people have done this since the referendum so looking for a bit of advice on what I can and cannot watch, just to stay this side of the law.

I have Apple TV, a PS3 and a subscription to NFL Gamepass and Netflix. Basically when I'm home I watch live and recorded NFL on a paid subscription through my laptop or Ipad relayed on to the TV via Apple TV. I watch Netflix via Apple TV and I guess I would watch BBC iPlayer through the PS3. There is no TV ariel into the flat and I will be losing the Tivo box when the 30 day cancellation period ends on Virgin. Probably going to stay with them on a broadband and landline package.

So the question I basically have is, does the above sound OK to go licence free on. What's the deal with BBC iPlayer? And also, is there any other things I should or could set up to get additional audio visual entertainment?

TT

PS I assume you just call up the licence people once the cable has been cut and cancel??

You need a licence to watch i-player or at least click on the I have a licence button.

Now you've sorted the (no watching live) wheat from chaff, some tips for the TV licensing agency.

When you get a threatening letter, put it in the recycling.

When they doorstep you, tell them to feck aff.

In the unlikely situation they return with a warrant and a cop, let the polis in, give him a cup of tea, show him you aren't watching live TV, and the polis will tell them to feck aff.

Now if you *are* watching live TV without a license, good luck, but the law won't cover you. If you *aren't* watching live TV, you are doing the right thing by cancelling your license. Who the feck would pay for it in this day and age.

Now I would pay to view the occasional programme on iPlayer, it is not free to make after all. But as thing stand that is rightfully free and there is no pay to view license model. So feel free to watch as much catch up TV as you like until that daft licensing laws catch up with viewers habits.

Intending to watch only Netflix and downloaded NFL games - possibly live but actually better downloaded and without adverts. Might watch some i player but not really thinking it would be live stuff.

It's not really a big protest thing, just trying to cut back on UK expenditure as I'm out the country at least six months a year, probably more. I'm going to ditch VirginMedia TV and I don't have a connection to an ariel, so it just seems a bit daft paying for a TV licence which going by by watching habits of the last two months consist almost exclusively of Netflix and the occasional recorded episode of Pointless.

Ditching the TV and licence probably saves me something in the region of £750 - £1000 so seems worth doing for something I rarely use.

If the licence people pitched up at the door and I have a TV and a PS3/Apple TV can they actually determine whether I've watched live TV through either device anyway??

TT

Intending to watch only Netflix and downloaded NFL games - possibly live but actually better downloaded and without adverts. Might watch some i player but not really thinking it would be live stuff.

It's not really a big protest thing, just trying to cut back on UK expenditure as I'm out the country at least six months a year, probably more. I'm going to ditch VirginMedia TV and I don't have a connection to an ariel, so it just seems a bit daft paying for a TV licence which going by by watching habits of the last two months consist almost exclusively of Netflix and the occasional recorded episode of Pointless.

Ditching the TV and licence probably saves me something in the region of £750 - £1000 so seems worth doing for something I rarely use.

If the licence people pitched up at the door and I have a TV and a PS3/Apple TV can they actually determine whether I've watched live TV through either device anyway??

TT

No.

No.

Excellent - not that I intend to watch live TV.

TT

Just pay it ya tighthole.You've got more money than a horse can shite.

Surely its not about the money? I will not pay towards a company that has helped in the child abuse cover up and were the main outlet last year for unionist lies.

A wee bit of advice.If you are not going to pay the TV licence you will recieve umpteen letters from the licence people.Do not for any reason respond to these letters.

I did. It was a few years ago now (before other ways of accessing broadcast TV became common), but from what I recall there was a sporadic exchange of letters over a couple of years during which I pointed out the difficulty of proving a negative (that I didn't have a TV). It culminated in them saying they'd send an inspection team round but they could only visit during office hours. I said that was tough as there'd be no-one at home. They then gave up and said they'd put a six-year hold on my address during which time I'd receive no more letters. I moved abroad before that period was up.

Different to TT's situation, admittedly, in that I didn't have a television and wasn't trying to screw the system ...

Surely its not about the money? I will not pay towards a company that has helped in the child abuse cover up and were the main outlet last year for unionist lies.

I'm willing to turn a blind eye to Rolf fecking whoever he wants if it means I can watch Pointless

Different to TT's situation, admittedly, in that I didn't have a television and wasn't trying to screw the system ...

It's part of my concerted effort to bring the Government down, I also put postage stamps on upside down and have been known to pee on the front wheel of a Hackney Cab in the City of London. Just give it time...

And yes, because I want to save money so i can wave ten pound notes in front of TartanJon when I get him down at the lappys' :wub:

TT