What Merits A Call Up? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What Merits A Call Up?

andyD

IMO we can't have enough quick and tricky wingers.For us that means Anya,GMS,and Forrest plus anyone that can go past a defender and cause bother.Bayern Munich eg have Robben and Ribery and their main threat comes when they two do one on one.Both injured at the weekend and they lose,looking very ordinary.

Boyd has been superb this season, was man of match v man city, plays on left, right, center...would have in the team long before Adam and others, would have him in the team now

Chris Boyd :yikes3:

Random list of minutes played by scottish players at premier league clubs..

2752 minutes - Scott Arfield

2619 minutes - Steven Naismith

2610 minutes - Alan Hutton

2610 minutes - Alan McGregor

2526 minutes - George Boyd

2509 minutes - James McArthur

2321 minutes - James Morrison

1769 minutes - Steven Fletcher

1475 minutes - Andrew Robertson

1360 minutes - Liam Bridcutt

1281 minutes - Matt Philips

1222 minutes - Charlie Adam

1089 minutes - Darren Fletcher

So Arfield has actually played the most of anyone. A little surprised by that but hey. I'm still not convinced he's done enough in those minutes to earn a call. Interesting none the less tho.

Random list of minutes played by scottish players at championship clubs..

4097 - Craig Forsyth

3744 - Ross McCormack

3720 - Christophe Berra

3558 - Kevin McDonald

3541 - Paul Caddis

3510 - Russell Martin

3427 - Liam Palmer

3240 - Gordon Greer

3213 - Matt Ritchie

3092 - Steven Whittaker

3017 - Chris Martin

2960 - Jordan Rhodes

2910 - Tom Cairney

2798 - Chris Maguire

2796 - Chris Burke

2745 - David Marshall

2726 - Grant Hanley

2723 - Stevie May

2554 - Craig Bryson

2537 - Johnny Russell

2513 - Craig Conway

2198 - Danny Fox

2165 - Ikechi Anya

2146 - Graham Dorrans

2115 - Liam Cooper

2034 - Don Cowie

1805 - Jamie Mackie

1688 - Kirk Broadfoot

1587 - Andrew Shinnie

1566 - Murray Wallace

1464 - Jack Grimmer

1270 - Barry Bannan

1019 - Ryan Fraser

1014 - Tony Watt

911 - Tom Aldred

733 - Matt Kennedy

666 - Kevin McNaughton

A little surprised by Caddis and Liam Palmer being so prominent in there. Gordon Greer's put in a good shift. Murray Wallace and Liam Cooper are two young center backs who we should maybe keep an eye on, remains to be seen if they'll progress, but they're getting more game time, so that's good.

Forrest has played for Scotland under Strachan so I doubt he's been called up for that reason.

He's been called up because he's quicker than anyone else we have available and is a player that will pick up a lot of caps.

You obviously rate Forrest, but as I'm sure you'll acknowledge you are in the minority. Would you say he merits his place in the squad? Would you agree with his inclusion above GMS or even someone like Dorrans?

Edited by Paulo2576

You obviously rate Forrest, but as I'm sure you'll acknowledge you are in the minority. Would you say he merits his place in the squad? Would you agree with his inclusion above GMS or even someone like Dorrans?

I don't mind being in the minority. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. I'm usually proven right.

The main asset Forrest has is pace. International football is so much about pace. The reason Anya over-performs at this level is because of his pace. Forrest can beat a player, create chances and score goals. He can go outside or come inside, he wins lots of free-kicks and can make things happen that not many other Scottish players can.

Forrest still has a long way to go to become a top player, and injuries have help him back but I'd have him in the starting XI, never mind the squad.

I don't mind being in the minority. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. I'm usually proven right.

The main asset Forrest has is pace. International football is so much about pace. The reason Anya over-performs at this level is because of his pace. Forrest can beat a player, create chances and score goals. He can go outside or come inside, he wins lots of free-kicks and can make things happen that not many other Scottish players can.

Forrest still has a long way to go to become a top player, and injuries have help him back but I'd have him in the starting XI, never mind the squad.

Fair enough, disagree with everything you've said though. He is fast but I'd argue GMS is faster and infinitely more skilful. But GMS aside, from what I've seen, and I've seen him many times, is that he is way below the standard required for scotland. However, as everyone agrees here's hoping you're right and the rest of us are wrong and we have a player on our hands, and regardless I'd rather he got a call up than Ritchie!!!

Fair enough, disagree with everything you've said though. He is fast but I'd argue GMS is faster and infinitely more skilful. But GMS aside, from what I've seen, and I've seen him many times, is that he is way below the standard required for scotland. However, as everyone agrees here's hoping you're right and the rest of us are wrong and we have a player on our hands, and regardless I'd rather he got a call up than Ritchie!!!

GMS could play on the left with Forrest on the right. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

We could always have a midfield 5 of Brown, Mulgrew, GMS, Armstrong and Forrest. Gordon in nets and Griffiths up-front... :wink2:

Edited by PASTA Mick

GMS could play on the left with Forrest on the right. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

We could always have a midfield 5 of Brown, Mulgrew, GMS, Armstrong and Forrest. Gordon in nets and Griffiths up-front... :wink2:

People that say "in nets" are worth a watching.

You'd drop Anya, who's been one of the key weapons in out arsenal since Strachan came in?

Don't you think Russell's did enough after coming on against England to warrant a bigger opportunity?

You'd leave out Maloney who's made the difference in all out recent games?

Some people just seem to want to crowbar in GMS and Armstrong, just because they want to. Nothing whatsoever to do with merit.

Random list of minutes played by scottish players at premier league clubs..

2752 minutes - Scott Arfield

2619 minutes - Steven Naismith

2610 minutes - Alan Hutton

2610 minutes - Alan McGregor

2526 minutes - George Boyd

2509 minutes - James McArthur

2321 minutes - James Morrison

1769 minutes - Steven Fletcher

1475 minutes - Andrew Robertson

1360 minutes - Liam Bridcutt

1281 minutes - Matt Philips

1222 minutes - Charlie Adam

1089 minutes - Darren Fletcher

So Arfield has actually played the most of anyone. A little surprised by that but hey. I'm still not convinced he's done enough in those minutes to earn a call. Interesting none the less tho.

Random list of minutes played by scottish players at championship clubs..

4097 - Craig Forsyth

3744 - Ross McCormack

3720 - Christophe Berra

3558 - Kevin McDonald

3541 - Paul Caddis

3510 - Russell Martin

3427 - Liam Palmer

3240 - Gordon Greer

3213 - Matt Ritchie

3092 - Steven Whittaker

3017 - Chris Martin

2960 - Jordan Rhodes

2910 - Tom Cairney

2798 - Chris Maguire

2796 - Chris Burke

2745 - David Marshall

2726 - Grant Hanley

2723 - Stevie May

2554 - Craig Bryson

2537 - Johnny Russell

2513 - Craig Conway

2198 - Danny Fox

2165 - Ikechi Anya

2146 - Graham Dorrans

2115 - Liam Cooper

2034 - Don Cowie

1805 - Jamie Mackie

1688 - Kirk Broadfoot

1587 - Andrew Shinnie

1566 - Murray Wallace

1464 - Jack Grimmer

1270 - Barry Bannan

1019 - Ryan Fraser

1014 - Tony Watt

911 - Tom Aldred

733 - Matt Kennedy

666 - Kevin McNaughton

A little surprised by Caddis and Liam Palmer being so prominent in there. Gordon Greer's put in a good shift. Murray Wallace and Liam Cooper are two young center backs who we should maybe keep an eye on, remains to be seen if they'll progress, but they're getting more game time, so that's good.

very interesting

where did you get those stats from