Alex Salmond - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people injured by Salmonds comments are Labour both north and south of the border.

Salmond as usual has played a blinder. His comments have whipped up a frenzy in the English press and they along with the Tories are scaremongering the English about the bad SNP.

In Scotland people are taking offence that somehow our votes don't count and how dare we interfere in Westminster. Add to that comments from English MP's like Anna Soubry and people will be flocking to vote for the SNP

Win win, play on Mr Salmond!

Just heard some Tory boy on T.V. enthusiastically telling us that the UK has the biggest defense budget in Europe.As if it's something we should be proud of.!! Will the people be cheering as they queue for the foodbanks or the millions being forced to work for zero hours pay ,no holidays , no sick pay,no pensions.

There is plenty money around to solve these problems in our country but we have to pay into this farcical British sham.Alex and co are the only ones who can hold them to account and block any future warmongering red or blue Tory aspirations.

I feel that people have almost been conditioned by the media to think Salmond is devisive or that he is hated or a liability. This is done becasue he is the greatest asset any political party could have.

His satisfaction ratings were always very high, especially for someone in office for a considerable period of time.

Unionists would say they hate him and that he was devisive but they could never answer as to why they hated him. It would make no difference as to who was in charge. We could have had Sturgeon in charge or anyone and they would have hated them and wouldn't vote Yes becasue of Sturgeon or Mr X. It was an excuse.

Salmond has won far more votes than he ever lost. And the votes that were lost because people didn't like him would be lost no matter who was in charge. Withouth Salmond we wouldn't have had a referendum, we wouldn't have won 45% and we wouldn't be looking at an SNP landslide and movement towards independence.

The more we see of him the better in my opinion.

You'll find that when discussing the future ;)

Precisely! More often than not I'll be sure to include "In my humble opinion" when discussing such matters. Mr. Rocket presented it as a fact, a foregone conclusion. This made me feel very uncomfortable, to the point I've just been to world buffet and ate enough for 4 men... In hindsight I hope your brothers parcel has arrived by the time you read that.

Precisely! More often than not I'll be sure to include "In my humble opinion" when discussing such matters. Mr. Rocket presented it as a fact, a foregone conclusion. This made me feel very uncomfortable, to the point I've just been to world buffet and ate enough for 4 men... In hindsight I hope your brothers parcel has arrived by the time you read that.

nope it still isn't here, i get a wisdom tooth out tomorrow as well, so obviously my mood is not improved.

Alex Salmond has only just turned 60. Winston Churchill was 65 when he first became Prime Minister. I would hazard a guess that Salmond is in a better state of health than Churchill was when he became Prime Minister.

Those Salmond haters amongst us who think he is going to disappear any time soon might have a longer wait than they think. Even if he doesn't get elected as an MP (which I think is a distinct possibility), I think he will still be around for a wee while yet.

So we would be keeping a foreign country's nuclear programme on our own soil? It wouldn't leave straight away but it would go quite clearly.

Aye, there is. Get independence and tell Westminster to stick their national debt up their erses. It's their debt not ours.

:rollsmile:

If we did that, the consequences for the Scottish economy would be calamitous. Do you think the rUK would simply let that go?

Such hollow threats were part of the reason Scotland voted No last time. In any future referendum, a position of "give us Sterling or we walk away from the debt" would mean exactly the same outcome.

:rollsmile:

If we did that, the consequences for the Scottish economy would be calamitous. Do you think the rUK would simply let that go?

Still this line ?

Really ?

Did you miss the treasury stating uncategorically that the rest of the UK would be contractually responsible for the WHOLE of the UK debt ?

You are therefore suggesting something which does not happen in real life anymore - an individual being blacklisted because of someone elses debt

The unionist scaremongering was that the markets would make an oil producing Scotland pay slightly higher interest rates than the rest of the UK when borrowing purely on moral reasons

It was shite

But it was the same with most of their other arguments - they could speculate negatively with no basis on fact of things that would not be decided until after we became independent

Edited by Ally Bongo

I did wonder what Salmond was up to. However, on reflection, it looks like a shrewd move. He gets a reaction from the usual suspects down south, and at the same time rips up what appears to have been Milliband and Murphy's entire election strategy in Scotland - i.e. 'only Labour can stop another Tory government at Westminster'. He needs to be careful not to overplay his hand, and I very much hope that it is all being overseen by Sturgeon, but the panic in the ranks of Labour is palpable.

Edited by Pool Q

He looks to be attempting to manipulate the Tory vote down south. His chat about writing the Labour budget and holding the balance of power is being reflected in the Southern media as a weak Miliband being dicatated to by Salmond.

He's certainly stirring up a hornet's nest down south.

I agree that he's making Milliband look weak, which helps strengthen the SNP in Scotland......he has to watch though, not to step over the line into arrogance, hubris and downright nuttiness. It can be a fine line.

Salmond is an extremely competent politician. I have no idea what the right course to take is, as not fully aware of what exactly the strategy is, so can't formulate tactics, plus my thought processes aren't conducive to getting 50%+1 on board.

This run up to the election might be the best spectacle of the year though, so looking forward to it.

Talking about voting down the Queen's Speech today in the case of a minority Tory government.

Possibly taking it a bit far there, could encourage even more tactical voting from Scottish Tories against him and the SNP. Could also impact any future SNP minority administration at Holyrood (the Tories did him some favours from 2007-11)...

Talking about voting down the Queen's Speech today in the case of a minority Tory government.

Possibly taking it a bit far there, could encourage even more tactical voting from Scottish Tories against him and the SNP. Could also impact any future SNP minority administration at Holyrood (the Tories did him some favours from 2007-11)...

As above I would say his intentions are to manipulate the Southern Tory vote. Backing a minority Tory government would be political suicide, but positioning himself as Labours puppet master in the eyes of rUK offers a route to the desired Tory majority.