Finding A New Job - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Finding A New Job

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Career change? Really not sure what else I could do to be honest. Not really good at much else.

I suppose to change careers you'd more than likely have to take a step back in the hope of taking 2 forward.

I suppose it depends how bad your job is? If it's mind numbing but pays quite well, you're kind of trapped.

There's loads of companies where the entry level jobs are pretty awful and can be poorly paid, but the opportunities to progress if you work hard are excellent.

Call centres generally pay reasonably well, and if you're ambitious you can move up. It can be mind numbing though!

Retail doesn't pay so well and the hours aren't great, but again there are opportunities to move into management or behind the scenes stuff once you get your foot in the door.

Don't know if you know the story about Alan Burrows, the general manager of Motherwell? He was working in a hotel and running a fans website/forum. He went to their Pre-season camp in Austria off his own back to take some pictures and do some bits for his site, the club were so impressed with what he did they put it on the official site, which lead to him getting involved in the media side of the club, and now he runs the whole club.

Quite an inspirational story I think.

Good luck!

I hate recruitment companies with an absolute passion. Both from trying to use them in the past and getting harrassed by them when I've been setting up offices etc. Utter parasites.

parasites? well dont use them then. Tell them to get lost and find your own job and your own people. they provide a service and if you dont want it dont use it.

There are a lot of very good and valuable recruitment people and companies. you just have to wade through a lot of sh*t to find them.

parasites? well dont use them then. Tell them to get lost and find your own job and your own people. they provide a service and if you dont want it dont use it.

There are a lot of very good and valuable recruitment people and companies. you just have to wade through a lot of sh*t to find them.

Some recruitment companies get the majority a bad name. It's not unknown for them to advertise non-existent positions, simply to expand their database of applicants.

I suppose to change careers you'd more than likely have to take a step back in the hope of taking 2 forward.

I suppose it depends how bad your job is? If it's mind numbing but pays quite well, you're kind of trapped.

There's loads of companies where the entry level jobs are pretty awful and can be poorly paid, but the opportunities to progress if you work hard are excellent.

Other than in money terms now (althought it could in no way whatsoever be described that I'm quite well paid), it wouldn't even really be taking a step back as I'm effectively still in an "entry-level" role.

Some recruitment companies get the majority a bad name. It's not unknown for them to advertise non-existent positions, simply to expand their database of applicants.

I'm convinced that the majority of positions they all advertise via S1jobs and the like are non-existent.

Really problematic when it appears there is rarely anything at all advertised outwith agencies on those sort of sites.

Really need to get something sorted soon as in terms of eating crap, I've regressed a fair bit over the last wee while mainly out of the frustration I have with the position I'm in.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

Other than in money terms now (althought it could in no way whatsoever be described that I'm quite well paid), it wouldn't even really be taking a step back as I'm effectively still in an "entry-level" role.

In that case, it might be worth taking a gamble on trying something different?

Something you think you might enjoy or that interests you?

If you don't have kids and/or a mortgage anyway...

What's limiting you to the Aberdeen area? Could you relocate/travel? Would that interest you?

You sound like you're being reasonably pro-active, but have hit a bit of a dead end. So perhaps you need to look in another direction?

In that case, it might be worth taking a gamble on trying something different?

Something you think you might enjoy or that interests you?

If you don't have kids and/or a mortgage anyway...

What's limiting you to the Aberdeen area? Could you relocate/travel? Would that interest you?

You sound like you're being reasonably pro-active, but have hit a bit of a dead end. So perhaps you need to look in another direction?

I can't actually think of any other direction to head in.

In terms of location, I'm limited financially to the Aberdeen areaa due to a serious lack of spare cash until at least the end of this year. Otherwise I'd have no issue in trying to look further afield.

I have occasionally had a look at what options there are in other areas too, but even then, the same problems that are preventing me getting opportunities here seem to be prevalent.

Basically nobody seems keen on taking in anyone that doesn't tick all boxes from day 1.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

Five pages in and I don't know what you do or what you might want to do - so maybe the problem lies there.

Moving job, unless forced, takes a bit of planning and a clear understanding of what you want type of work you want to do. Once you have a direction and a goal you can then start to put the building blocks in place.

I would recommend getting a couple of friends to sit down with you and talk through your aspirations and then work backwards to where you are, identifying things that you would require to meet each stage - it also lets you know if your goals are realistic or just a pipe dream. I did this about twenty years ago and I now have almost exactly the job that I sat down that day and described - OK, so I haven't quite got the Lear Jet and fluffing for TartanJon can have it's bad days, but it was all achieved by having a clear goals and setting realistic objectives.

TT

mate you wouldn't believe the half of what some of them get up to. that doesnt make them all bad. in the industry you know who the cowboys are.

mate you wouldn't believe the half of what some of them get up to. that doesnt make them all bad. in the industry you know who the cowboys are.

All well and god, but as a punter trying to get a job you don't.

What do you do?

Pretty obvious.

Cove Sheep be a hooker. She turn a good trick but she know she be getting on and she gonna be giving it up for chump change soon.

She want to be "bottom bitch" but her pimp daddy think she be way too skanky for dat shit.

So she be looking to diversificy.

Was made redundant a few years ago and was also unemployed for one week. Drove me nuts and your day is filled with crap, like running errands, watching kids, attending job shop for employment seekers allowance. Got a start date on a job during that week and now pernament.

I hope you find something soon. :ok:

Cheers for that man, i have an interview tomorrow morning! :ok:

Might also depend your technical knowledge

I know Bristows are having issues with installation of SAP, so depending on your knowledge of SAP could be a option to chase after

could consider getting involved in systems side of SAP

if you are completing similar type of role, you had a Baker, then this is your problem because i would imagine employers regard this more as back office

you might be better trying to get involved in a wee firm who make you do everything to muck in

would also suggest spending more time with the Ops guys at work, and get away from finance cos you will learn from them - likely there are roles in ops that are available to cross into - HR Manager is Nigeria was Drill Bits Salewoman last year - Kenya HS&E Manager was admin staff 5 years ago etc etc etc

Can't be arsed reading this full thing but read your first post and can only reiterate what a few said, the grass isn't always greener, I moved jobs last year for more money and (what I was told) would be better hours.

Wish I hadn't bothered now. Good luck to you though.