Scotland Players In Action - Page 83 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day I say so what? As lomg as he is doing his part for Scotland that is good enough for me. :wink2:

He didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the last to games he played for us. Think we need to look at an alternative until his form and injuries sort themselves out.

Hmm I must have missed those games when we leaked goals because of him.

Where did I say that he made us leak goals? He was very nearly set off for a horrible tackle in the Ireland game and looked vulnerable throughout, if Ireland weren't so crap they could have easily exploited him as a weakness. I also have seen him play for Blackburn three times this season (at the game and not on tv) and he looked great in one game and very poor I'm the other two.

Don't get me wrong, he is young and has time to improve. I hope he becomes a solid player for us but in the meantime we could do with someone in better form than him.

Where did I say that he made us leak goals? He was very nearly set off for a horrible tackle in the Ireland game and looked vulnerable throughout, if Ireland weren't so crap they could have easily exploited him as a weakness. I also have seen him play for Blackburn three times this season (at the game and not on tv) and he looked great in one game and very poor I'm the other two.

Don't get me wrong, he is young and has time to improve. I hope he becomes a solid player for us but in the meantime we could do with someone in better form than him.

Well you say he didn't exactly cover himself in glory and suggest we look elsewhere until form improves etc. Yet we have been keeping a heck of a lot of clean sheets lately with Hanley in the side so is that a crime worth dropping him for? I have seen several Scotland players make dubious challenges (scott Brown especially) who escape red cards but do we call for them to be dropped because of it? And Ireland are no mugs and in any case Hanley was in the defence when we kept a clean sheet in Croatia and won 1-0 and home to Croatia and won 2-0 so you see even better sides have not discovered these weaknesses you say he has.

Well you say he didn't exactly cover himself in glory and suggest we look elsewhere until form improves etc. Yet we have been keeping a heck of a lot of clean sheets lately with Hanley in the side so is that a crime worth dropping him for? I have seen several Scotland players make dubious challenges (scott Brown especially) who escape red cards but do we call for them to be dropped because of it? And Ireland are no mugs and in any case Hanley was in the defence when we kept a clean sheet in Croatia and won 1-0 and home to Croatia and won 2-0 so you see even better sides have not discovered these weaknesses you say he has.

We need to pick players in form, Hanley is injured and not in good form. Simple. If we were just picking players on past form Faddy would still be in the squad.

Edited by kmcca5

Also correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the last Croatia game in October 2013? It's now April 2015. So we pick a player because he has a good game over a year and a half ago.... Sounds all wrong to me.

We need to pick players in form, Hanley is injured and not in good form. Simple. If we were just picking players on past form Faddy would still be in the squad.

He is injured - yes. Not in good form? For Blackburn I cannot say but he hasn't caused us to drop points in matches so wouldn't say he wasn't in form for us which is all that matters really. After all Darren Fletcher was out for long spells and hadn't been great for us yet still got games for us so the Hanley situation is not unique.

Also correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the last Croatia game in October 2013? It's now April 2015. So we pick a player because he has a good game over a year and a half ago.... Sounds all wrong to me.

I keep hearing you oozing about his weaknesses but have yet been pinpointed on games where he has costs us goals and the match as a consequence. By no means is he a Willie Miller or David Weir for us but alongside Martin they have formed a solid enough partnership at the centre of our defence and besides show me a better alternative and I am all ears but why change a formula if it works is my opinion.

To back this up - in the last seven competitive matches Hanley has played alongside Russell Martin at the heart of the defence our record has been:- Won 5 Drawn 0 Lost 2. We have conceded a total of five goals (with three games having conceded no goals) and the four we conceded were against Germany and Belgium.

I keep hearing you oozing about his weaknesses but have yet been pinpointed on games where he has costs us goals and the match as a consequence. By no means is he a Willie Miller or David Weir for us but alongside Martin they have formed a solid enough partnership at the centre of our defence and besides show me a better alternative and I am all ears but why change a formula if it works is my opinion.

FFS!!!! I didn't say he cost us goals, I said he is Injured and out of form for his club, that is why he shouldn't necessarily be our first choice. Are you simple or something I have said all this several times? Also you can stick your patronising "oozing" coments where the sun doesn't shine.

For the record, I like Hanley and have championed him in the past, I want him to succeed as I do with all Scotland players, I am just stating that he might not be our best option right now.

FFS!!!! I didn't say he cost us goals, I said he is Injured and out of form for his club, that is why he shouldn't necessarily be our first choice. Are you simple or something I have said all this several times? Also you can stick your patronising "oozing" coments where the sun doesn't shine.

For the record, I like Hanley and have championed him in the past, I want him to succeed as I do with all Scotland players, I am just stating that he might not be our best option right now.

I refer you to the Hanley/Martin stats when they have been at the heart of our defence. Why tamper with a formula that has done so well for us? And I myself have said he and our other central defenders are not in the same class as some of our best defenders but are solid enough. I am not one for changing things for change sake especially when other options are not as proven at this level.

To be fair, Hanley was like a bull in a china shop in the first half of the Ireland game. On another night he could easily have been sent off.

I am not advocating dropping him, but since Berra is in great form at the moment Hanley's place in the starting eleven is no longer as secure as it was a few months ago.

To be fair, Hanley was like a bull in a china shop in the first half of the Ireland game. On another night he could easily have been sent off.

I am not advocating dropping him, but since Berra is in great form at the moment Hanley's place in the starting eleven is no longer as secure as it was a few months ago.

If Hanley is not fit then yes I'd opt for Berra or Greer partnering Martin. If Hanley is back to a decent level of fitness I'd put Hanley in alongside Martin. Their stats when playing alongside each other is pretty damned good.

Sensible