Songs You Never Knew Were Cover Versions - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Songs You Never Knew Were Cover Versions

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few years back at a pub quiz found out the Manfred Mann hit Blinded By The Light was written and recorded by Bruce Springsteen. Only got 2nd place because none of our team knew that.

Manfred Mann covered three Springsteen songs off of his first album Greetings from Asbury Park, along with Blinded they covered Spirits in the Night and my favourite For You,

Manfred Mann covered three Springsteen songs off of his first album Greetings from Asbury Park, along with Blinded they covered Spirits in the Night and my favourite For You,

I will check those out. Take it they were all covered when they were Manfred Manns Earth Band? I know they've had a few reincarnations since then.

Surely this was the more famous one.

I don't listen to The Pointer Sisters but I have seen and met both Robert Gordon and Link Wray (hence my selection).

From Wiki...

Bruce Springsteen envisioned "Fire" as a song which could be recorded by his idol Elvis Presley, the song being written during the period after Springsteen had seen Presley live at a May 28, 1977 concert at the Spectrum (Philadelphia): Springsteen would allege "I sent Elvis a demo of it but he died August 16, 1977 before it arrived."

The first released recording of "Fire" was by neo-rockabilly singer Robert Gordon who was offered the song by Springsteen after the latter saw a live gig by Gordon and Link Wray.

Robert-Gordon-Bruce-Springsteen-and-Linkhqdefault.jpgparamount79.jpg

140379-asburypk-photo-97d.jpg140379-asburypk-photo-8n3.jpg

Springsteen's disinterest in showcasing "Fire" on Darkness on the Edge of Town reportedly did not preclude his being upset when the Pointer Sisters recorded a version of "Fire" which reached #2 in January 1979.

Troops of tomorrow by the exploited - the single not the whole album! Originally done by the vibrators!

I have part of the drum kit they recorded that song on in my shed. Or so I'm told, I was given it by one of their myriad former bass players who was clearing out his spare room. It's totally gubbed right enough.