Bon Scott Death - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bon Scott Death

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 11-12 when they played Caird Hall in Dundee but wasn't allowed to go.

6 months later I was allowed to go to my first gig to see UFO. Still gutted I missed ACDC - the difference of a being a few months older. :cry:

I was at both of those I think. Got train over to Dundee, then had to walk over the bridge for a lift home so that my mate's Dad could avoid the bridge tolls.

Just reminded me of the Croatia trip the other year. One of my mates is a piper and he taught one of the Croatian TA online how to play the pipes. After the game we were back in the bar overlooking the square when the Croatian piper tells us he plays in an ACDC tribute band called the Ballbreakers - they just happened to be playing in Zagreb that night. So ends up with the five of us (2 Croatian and three Scots ) walking down to the rock club about half a mile or so. We got cheered in - taken backstage - the club owner brought us numerous drinks on the house . Both pipers then got cheered onto the stage to play with the band - Its a Long Way to the Top - the rest of us were like roadies/royalty at the front. Absolutely brilliant night.

Aye. Croatians are dickheads.

Didn't he choke on his vomit, whilst asleep after a drink binging session.

That's rock n roll I suppose. I have seen a bronze statue of him posted on social media, I think it was in australia.

Is he also burried there?

He grew up in Fremantle, there is a statue of him in the Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour and he is buried in Fremantle Cemetary. The road (Canning Highway) from Fremantle to the Raffles Hotel in Applecross where he went to play and watch music is supposedly the road the Highway to Hell was written for.

I was 16 in 1979 and out of 2 concerts coming up in the Apollo I could only afford to go to 1 of them.

I chose to go and see Motorhead's Bomber Tour ....the one I missed was AC/DC's Highway to Hell Tour and I have kicked myself for 35 years.

Incidentally, my son has been asked to play bagpipes in Kirriemuir at BonFest where they are replicating the Long Way to the Top video.

I saw them in October '79 with Def Leppard as support at the Apollo in Glasgow on the Highway to Hell tour and then on the Back in Black tour a year later with Brian Johnson. Not quite the same. In fact, I had a mate who had seen them nineteen times before then and walked out halfway through it.

I can relate to that. Having seen them 4 times with Bon Scott, I was at the the the Back in Black show at the Apollo. I didn't leave early, but had a distinct 'meh' feeling throughout. After that, tbh, just stopped listening to them, but was persuaded to go and see them a couple of years back at Hampden. Now that I did walk out of half way through.

Sorry, excuse my ignorance but I thought he grew up in Scotland. At what age did he emigrate to Oz? :blink:

Lived in Scotland until he was about 6ish

Youngs until they were about 6 and 10 (there is a photo of them as kids one christmas posing in the window display of House of Frasers on Buchanan Street.

Edited by wanderer

The Youngs were a talented bunch. Eldest brother Alex stayed in the UK when the others emigrated to Oz and formed the 60s band Grapefruit.

Then next oldest George formed the Easybeats in Australia and went on to write Love Is In The Air. Another link to the north east ;)

Saw Rory at Ayr Piv. Great gig.

He was the first artist I saw in concert to subsequently die. One for the Bon Scott thread maybe...

Mine would've probably been Ian Curtis closely followed by Malcolm Owen. 1980 was a fairly bad year for lead singers.