Series Worth Watching - Page 104 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

House of Ninjas on Netflix is decent and the dubbing isn't too bad although subtitles is better.  Gets a bit weird in places but still decent.

Shogun on Disney has been good so far too and think it's loosely based around real historical events.  The lead English fella is a bit much at points but the Japanese folk are really good.  It's a bit like Game of Thrones with Samurai instead of dragons and incest.  

The Gentlemen is orate but just smacks of Guy Ritchie's greatest hits cobbled together.  

Furies on Netflix is pretty good a couple of episodes in - Femme Nikitta / Point of no Return vibes where a bunch of assassins basically act as VAR for the underworld.  

Didn't think much of it first time round but I've just finished House of the Dragon. I really enjoyed it this time. Looking forward to the next season.

On 2/12/2024 at 5:33 PM, Dave78 said:

Aye, there's a lot of that. Typical from the yanks really.

They make a big deal of the USAF flying daytime missions, while the cowardly RAF only flew bombing missions at night.

They ignore that over the course of the war casualty rates ran at 40% for the RAF, while it was 10% for the USAF. This was for a few reasons, but mainly because the RAF bombers flew without fighter cover, which the American bombers had. Also the poor design of the Lancaster made it almost impossible for the crew to bail out when shot down.

It's also worth remembering that (bizarrely) more US airmen died in training accidents back home in the US than died in combat.

I've finished MOA now. Conclusion is it's not close to the Pacific or BOB. 

It was poorly made, alot more could've been made of certain story lines like the escapes with the help of the French resistance. They makers have tried to cram too much into 9 episodes. 

The episode about the tuskegee airmen wasn't necessary when this was a series about the big 8th

On 3/18/2024 at 1:39 AM, vanderark14 said:

I've finished MOA now. Conclusion is it's not close to the Pacific or BOB. 

It was poorly made, alot more could've been made of certain story lines like the escapes with the help of the French resistance. They makers have tried to cram too much into 9 episodes. 

The episode about the tuskegee airmen wasn't necessary when this was a series about the big 8th

US airmen completed "tour" after 50 missions i recall ?

RAF just kept going til war ended , or they never made it back

i thought even the Pacific was a step down from BoB at the time

- wonder if they'll ever do a Naval version ; Das Boot Re Boot

lost my netflix account - saw jumped onto Disney

watched Hill St Blues Ep 1 ; then NYPD Blue Ep 1 - only 10 years-ish apart , but felt like a lifetime , at the time

both great at the time ; and enjoyed them both again  - i knew it was same writers , but strange/lazy ? that both opening episodes have

a/ main character(s) being shot (badly) & surviving

b/ main character - ex wife , separation papers , complaining to husband etc etc

c/ main character (from b) ; love interest with another main cast member ; whilst dealing with ex ....

7 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Tom Hanks has done a Naval version but not a series, Greyhound

6 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

They already have with the Das Boot TV series

I grew to love The Pacific once i stopped comparing it to Band of Brothers

I think that was the point of it - that the War in the Pacific was a different beast to the War in Europe and there was less time spent on character development basically because of the casualty rates 

Enjoyed Claire Van Der Boom in the nudey as well

2 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yeah saw it  ; not bad story/acting wise , but the CGI (not as bad as Midway tho....) gives it a Disney feel imho

Midway was one of the worst ww2 movies ive seen

33 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They already have with the Das Boot TV series

I grew to love The Pacific once i stopped comparing it to Band of Brothers

I think that was the point of it - that the War in the Pacific was a different beast to the War in Europe and there was less time spent on character development basically because of the casualty rates 

Enjoyed Claire Van Der Boom in the nudey as well

das boot a film ? or a series ..... ?? i understand there was different endings

yeah maybe unfair on the pacific ; in that i was def comparing it

i had to google the actress name ; but pretty much confirmed it was the melbourne episode / greek parents

book by Sledge is supposed to be amazing

i liked The Thin Red Line film too ; some of his other films are very heavy going  - Malik ? , but think because of subject matter its bearable

20 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Jings ; that slipped past me - i was still referring to the 1980 version  =thought i was up to speed on all things ww2 ..... but if its not 'hollywood' out here , tougher to track down

i keep asking folk here " have you seen babylon berlin ?" and met with vacant look ( i know its pre ww2)

ah its got subtitles ,,,,, never watching that , typical reply

11 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Jings ; that slipped past me - i was still referring to the 1980 version  =thought i was up to speed on all things ww2 ..... but if its not 'hollywood' out here , tougher to track down

i keep asking folk here " have you seen babylon berlin ?" and met with vacant look ( i know its pre ww2)

ah its got subtitles ,,,,, never watching that , typical reply

I can't be sure but i think any prejudice i had about foreign films with subtitles left me when i hired out the video of La Femme Nikita circa 1990 ( I was 23) 

Does not bother me in the slightest and i easily forget the subtitles once it starts

Have watched some terrific foreign films in my time - The original dutch Vanishing amongst many but there is one for the life of me that i can't remember

It was a French film in a neo noir style - It was a couple living in a flat and one of them has an affair or is blackmailed

I cant really remember much about it - think there was a renovation going on in their balcony maybe

A guy i worked with 30 years ago knew about it but i havent seen him since then

Classic Emmerdale was great today

Ex Tamber Kenneth Farrington at the back ...

image.thumb.jpeg.60819bf633909a70babcf24a64c96399.jpeg

Edited by Ally Bongo

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The world at war. Has there been a better series about ww2. I'm watching at all again.

There is no doubt it is a classic series and probably one of the best things TV has ever gave us.

However from what we know now there is much omitted and it is a propaganda piece that tries not to upset anyone 

Albert Speer is the prime example - given a deal by West and allowed to play the "good German" till he was dead      

Just to add The World at War was released before Bletchley Park was declassified and well before the fall of the Soviet Union let their archives be released

What is interesting is that Claude Lanzmann released his film Shoah in 1985 after 11 years of research, also before the Russian archives became available, yet everything in it was confirmed when they were

It is hard going and the actual film is over 9 hours long - with hundreds of hours of film that did not make it into the movie available in the Holocaust Museum archives

It is available on Youtube with English subtitles

When you ask people what they know of the Holocaust the majority will say Auschwitz and Gas Chambers

A large number have never heard of Belzec, Chelmno, Sobibor, Treblinka & Majdanek along with the thousands of other mass killing sites

His film does not include any archive footage - only interviews with victims, perpetrators and bystanders along with footage of the sites in the 70s

The Polish peasant farmers that still live near Treblinka gives you a chill - as you realise they are lying their tits off about how they reacted at the time

image.thumb.jpeg.0cac1d43619eec216cea76415aca74fb.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee32c8e970182670afaa1dc6c43ca0cd.jpeg

Watched 7 out of 10 episodes of The Offer and it’s fantastic. It’s the story of the making of The Godfather and all the obstacles they had to overcome making it (the Mafia, the studio and even Frank Sinatra!). I had no idea of the back story and while I’m sure it’s embellished it’s pretty fascinating. Miles Teller plays the lead role and there’s some excellent casting playing the likes of Pacino, Brando and some of the other real life people involved. 

Watched Deadloch on Prime after being recommended . Its a bizarre comedy whodunnit set in a fictional town in Tasmania. I found it funny , it wont be everyones cup of tea though and there is a lot of swearing but I found it funny rather than offensive. I wasn’t sure at first but glad I kept going with it. 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:20 PM, vanderark14 said:

The world at war. Has there been a better series about ww2. I'm watching at all again.

What are you watching it on m8? I’ve seen it but would like to get the kids into it.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

What are you watching it on m8? I’ve seen it but would like to get the kids into it.

It's regularly on the Yesterday channel and has just finished another run

7 hours ago, slasher said:

It's in yesterday mate

Can all be downloaded on via sky platform.