Grimmer And Arfield In Next Squad? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Grimmer And Arfield In Next Squad?

wanderer

I've got nothing against Arfield - he's clearly got a good attitude and work rate, but he's a jack of all trades in a team that is almost certainly going to be relegated.

He also played plenty of international games for our U21 team. Deserves his chance

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got nothing against Arfield - he's clearly got a good attitude and work rate, but he's a jack of all trades in a team that is almost certainly going to be relegated.

So does the fact he is playing for a team disqualify him from being selected? If so then surely you are ruling out Andrew Robertson, Allan McGregor, George Boyd (at Hull), Steven Fletcher and Liam Bridcutt (at Sunderland), Alan Hutton (at Aston Villa), Graham Dorrans and James Morrison (at WBA) and Barry Bannan and James McArthur (At Crystal Palace). All of those clubs are in real danger of relegation.

Every squad needs a couple of those!

Maybe that's where we disagree then. I imagine Scotland picking players who're the best in their own position. And 'flexible' players who are no better than decent, but can play 2 or 3 positions, don't get a look in.

btw I agree his better performances seem to have been on the left.

Edited by davew

Maybe that's where we disagree then. I imagine Scotland picking players who're the best in their own position. And 'flexible' players who are no better than decent, but can play 2 or 3 positions, don't get a look in.

btw I agree his better performances seem to have been on the left.

Charlie Mulgrew is a good example of being in the squad because he can do a decent job in a number of positions without really being the best option in any of them.

Charlie Mulgrew is a good example of being in the squad because he can do a decent job in a number of positions without really being the best option in any of them.

I disagree slightly. Although as you say correctly he can play in a number of positions, he has by his performances for scotland shown he is one of our two best defensive midfielders and given we play with two defensive midfielders he is the best option in his position. we are weakened when he has to fill in elsewhere.

Cooper of course should be under consideration but why exactly should he be ahead of Reynolds for a central defenders spot or Grimmer for the "youngster to have a look at spot". Grimmer's also playing better for his club right now.

In Reynolds case because Cooper is a better CB. Grimmer is a right back

In Reynolds case because Cooper is a better CB. Grimmer is a right back

I know Grimmer's a right back.

What I said about Cooper in relation to Grimmer was "why exactly should (Cooper) be ahead of ..... or Grimmer for the "youngster to have a look at spot"."

Don't get me wrong I think Cooper's a promising player and one to keep an eye on for the future but at the moment I'd rate Reynolds as slightly better than him. Whittaker and Bardsley (if Strachan rates him) have both had injury problems in the last twelve months and Hutton can't keep going forever. It makes perfect sense to take a look at Grimmer soon.

I know Grimmer's a right back.

What I said about Cooper in relation to Grimmer was "why exactly should (Cooper) be ahead of ..... or Grimmer for the "youngster to have a look at spot"."

Don't get me wrong I think Cooper's a promising player and one to keep an eye on for the future but at the moment I'd rate Reynolds as slightly better than him. Whittaker and Bardsley (if Strachan rates him) have both had injury problems in the last twelve months and Hutton can't keep going forever. It makes perfect sense to take a look at Grimmer soon.

there's an argument for Reynolds, due to the SPL being in its current state it's likely that championship players will usually be favoured before SPL players (Outwith Celtic)

McGhee in papers today saying Ash Taylor and Ryan Jack (but says problem is he plays in a position we are over run with players in) are also being considered, and now that GMS has agreed a move to Celtic he has found his way into their plans.

Edited by wanderer

McGhee in papers today saying Ash Taylor and Ryan Jack (but says problem is he plays in a position we are over run with players in) are also being considered, and now that GMS has agreed a move to Celtic he has found his way into their plans.

Can't wait for the "does he feel Scottish" brigade to pipe up. Not saying they are wrong but it's amusing how angry they get hahaha!

Can't wait for the "does he feel Scottish" brigade to pipe up. Not saying they are wrong but it's amusing how angry they get hahaha!

TBH though Taylor has got better as the season has went on, he is nowhere near good enough.

I agree with what McGhee says about it being our weakest position, but off the top of my head I could probably name at least 8 players who are more deserving/better than Taylor.

TBH though Taylor has got better as the season has went on, he is nowhere near good enough.

I agree with what McGhee says about it being our weakest position, but off the top of my head I could probably name at least 8 players who are more deserving/better than Taylor.

Yep definitely, would be looking at getting Danny Wilson back involved and getting Liam Cooper in long before Taylor

Got to be wind up re GMS? Now that he is moving to celtic he will be considered?

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/other-football/mark-mcghee-backs-new-bhoy-mackay-steven-to-answer-the-call-of-duty-195013n.116595529

Basically saying Dundee United are a selling club and that going to Celtic will take him to the next level where he will force himself into their plans (I can kind of see where he is coming from, but there is a element of disrespect to United there I feel)

Grimmer's ahead of Liam Palmer?

Grimmer's played what? 11 games for Fulham?

Where as Palmer's played over 100 for Sheffield Wednesday, including 30 this season in what I believe is the 2nd tightest defense in the Championship.

Palmer still has some things to learn (as I'm sure Grimmer does) but if we're looking at right backs who might step forward given that Hutton, Bardsley and Whittaker are all pushing/passed 30 then I'd have thought Palmer was more prominently placed.

Sometimes I think McGhee just name-checks all possible eligibles. Because a lot of the time his comments don't make sense.

I wrote more or less the same thing about Grimmer at the top of the thread - playing a handful of games for a mid-table Championship side shouldn't be enough to get you a call-up.

According to whoscored Grimmer has played 805 minutes of Championship football this season.

Palmer has played 2340 minutes.

McGhee does have a habit of name dropping a lot of players he is out watching into interviews, only for them to never show up in the next squad...... there was a interview tail end of last season where he mentioned 5 or 6 players from the Championship, and think Kevin McDonald at Wolves was the only one to get a call up.

I don't really have a problem with him name dropping players he's watching in interviews. it's probably good. it's lets the players know that the senior setup is aware of them and should offer them some encouragement to push on at their clubs.

i'd be surprised if grimmer gets a call up before palmer tho. i don't think plamer's ready for full internationals against good opposition yet, he still has things to learn, but he's part of a tight defense and did well against man city a few weeks ago. he's much further along to earning a spot that grimer is imo.