Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut

@neaver82

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should give him last 30mins v norniron, depending how game goes

Hopefully he is called up, and if he is i hope he starts vs NI. Let him take Naismiths place in a friendly, we know what he does. I just hope his first ten caps arent 8 minutes here, 20 minutes there, let's commit to him from the beginning. That's is of course he is what we all think/hope he is!

I can see the worth in giving him some game time but I'd start with the strongest team v Northern Ireland and look to bring players like Gauld on at some point.

Aye, fair doos, canny argue with that. I'd like to see him play for scotland soon, looks like a "once in a generation" sort of fella.

Aye, fair doos, canny argue with that. I'd like to see him play for scotland soon, looks like a "once in a generation" sort of fella.

We are all so desperate for that to be true, but it's probably worth remembering that at the moment it is all purely hype and potential. There aren't many examples from his career that you could say, wow, he's the real deal,it's been more word of mouth and people in the know talking about his ability situation, albeit that some of the statements attributed to him have been remarkable.

I'm not sure about that.

Sporting play a 4-3-3 which, I think, ends up like 4-1-4-1.

Gauld can then play either position in the centre of the midfield 4 with a licence to get forward.

Scotland have been playing more of a 4-4-1-1 with the two central midfielders being more holding midfielders.

Gauld isn't a holding midfielder (like Morrison is these days) and he's not a winger (like Maloney is these days), so he has to compete for the position behind the striker.

That means he's competing with Naismith, Snodgrass, and McCormack.

That's more tenuous than Phil bardsleys claim to a scotland shirt!

I smiled at the silliness of that, but still.. Bardsley's dad's from Glasgow and he turned down England u21s when they came calling. He also put the effort in during a tough period for our national side. So, a little more respect is due, i think.

Back on point, I thought the same about Gauld tho. Nani needs that run to make the space and time for him to hit it. Not saying Gauld 'made the goal' or even knew Nani was going to have a go, but it's the right run to make, at the right time and the team benefited, albeit due to a spectacular individual strike. So good to see that he's fitting in and doing the right things in the senior side. I doubt me and davew are the only ones to have noticed the run.

I thought Paulo's comment was brilliant.

I think someone posted above that Gauld doesn't look out of place in that Sporting side, and that's some achievement for a teenager, but there's not really much else to get excited about at the moment.

I smiled at the silliness of that, but still.. Bardsley's dad's from Glasgow and he turned down England u21s when they came calling. He also put the effort in during a tough period for our national side. So, a little more respect is due, i think.

There's plenty in there I disagree with and I will never not argue on the eligibility issue, but in In this instance I wasnt trying to reopen the debate, I was just trying to be funny!

what's all this replace Naismith stuff? He could just as easily replace Maloney or Morrison. An odd assumption.

It's pretty clear I was not suggesting a full time replacement for Naismith, just that the position he plays, in my opinion, is where it looks like Gauld will excel, and this is the time to give him a go. But at the same time, I really do hope that this time next year gauld has made that position his and naisy will have to fit in somewhere else.

He's not "from glasgow" though. That's a complete misrepresentation of the facts.

im sure bardsley turned us down at least once before he got called up. levein came out with some pish that his dad was in floods of tears when he played for us (against spain i think) tbf he has done a good job when he has played.

im sure bardsley turned us down at least once before he got called up. levein came out with some pish that his dad was in floods of tears when he played for us (against spain i think) tbf he has done a good job when he has played.

Walter Smith tried to get him when he was manager, so he was on the SFA radar for a good number of years before he finally switched (Eck might have also had a shot at getting him also)..... sure I have heard the story that it was Smith using Ferguson to put the pressure on Bardsley to switch, but he didn't want to at the time.