Massive Week For Motherwell Fc - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mitchell van der Gaag, that the Sideshow Bob look a like defender Motherwell signed from PSV who could not stay fit for more than 5 minutes?

Remember my mate from School who was a Motherwell fan having a thing for him because Motherwell had signed this player from PSV who was a Dutch U21 international (IIRC though wasn't it using the Jimmy Calderwood "I made Jaap Stam" logic or something? :-)) )

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitchell van der Gaag, that the Sideshow Bob look a like defender Motherwell signed from PSV who could not stay fit for more than 5 minutes?

That's the guy!

Was one of Alex Mcleishs better signings, which admittedly doesn't say much!

He looks more like his partner at the back, Brian Martin nowadays, which is quite funny, given he's mostly remembered for his big hair!

22274691.jpg

vandergaag.jpg

That's the guy!

Was one of Alex Mcleishs better signings, which admittedly doesn't say much!

Remember my mate saw him in a couple of pre-season friendlies and was raving about him and when we were picking our dream teams at the start of the season he told us all that this guy would be the best defender outside of Rangers.... think I ended up binning him after 2 months, as he just could not get a run of games going.

Remember my mate from School who was a Motherwell fan having a thing for him because Motherwell had signed this player from PSV who was a Dutch U21 international (IIRC though wasn't it using the Jimmy Calderwood "I made Jaap Stam" logic or something? :-)) )

I think he was maybe signed from Utrecht, as part of the deal was a freindly over in holland. I can remember fans with Utrecht hats and scarfs post game. Edited by Robroysboy

I think he was maybe signed from Utrecht, as part of the deal was a freindly over in holland. I can remember fans with Utrecht hats and scarfs post game.

We sold him to Utrecht, got him from PSV. Sure we did sign someone from Utrecht though? Maybe Michael Doesburg?

How can Butcher be in the running? If he gets a job so soon after the Hibs shambles there's something seriously wrong with Scottish football.

To give Butcher some slack, Hibs relegation had been an accident waiting to happen for a few seasons!

As much as I liked him, he finished bottom in his 1st seasons at Motherwell and Inverness, got relegated with Hibs, flopped at Coventry and Barnet and fell out with the owners at Sydney.

To give Butcher some slack, Hibs relegation had been an accident waiting to happen for a few seasons!

As much as I liked him, he finished bottom in his 1st seasons at Motherwell and Inverness, got relegated with Hibs, flopped at Coventry and Barnet and fell out with the owners at Sydney.

Which is why I found it all the more baffling that he chose to leave relative success at Inverness to go to Hibs.

How can Butcher be in the running? If he gets a job so soon after the Hibs shambles there's something seriously wrong with Scottish football.

Did Butcher not say he was totally finished with Scottish football after he left Hibs?

Butcher and Malpas man management was shocking. We were sitting mid table turn of the year, told majority of first team they would not be at Hibs in the summer then expected them to give a performance. Treatment of Kevin Thomson in particular was terrible. The football was particularly poor. He changed our style to passing long balls into space in order that a % of them would produce a chance. It was turgid, eye gouging pish that we had to endure and I wouldnt wish him and his tactics on even the Jumbos.

McLiesh went to Holland to look at a striker and came back with a centre half, Mitchell van der Gaag, who was crocked. He did turn out to be McLieshs best signing. Big Alex had more to spend in one season than Tommy McLean got in ten, the then chairman splashed out the cash to piss off McLean for leaving.

McLiesh spent £100k on Andy Roddie but worse than that and I'm sorry for reminding Well fans he spent £200k on John Henry who shortly afterwards moved to Fort William where he struggled to get a game.

£200k PLUS Stevie kirk and Paul mcgrillen for Eddie May

And

£350k for Shaun mcskimming

If we're doing Mcleishs hall of shame!

Had a chat with McLeish about signings I thought Motherwell could afford.

I suggested Neil McCann, Morten Weighorst and Craig Brewster and he said none of them would be good enough to play in the Premier League. He also stated that Paul Lambert wouldnt get a game for Borussia Dortmund

Had a chat with McLeish about signings I thought Motherwell could afford.

I suggested Neil McCann, Morten Weighorst and Craig Brewster and he said none of them would be good enough to play in the Premier League. He also stated that Paul Lambert wouldnt get a game for Borussia Dortmund

Seriously ? :blink:

When was that, mid nineties ? Bloody hell.

A sign of things to come at Rangers, pished away a feck load of wages on dodgy free transfers when he was there.

He had it all made for him at one particular job as well. Half-decent players at his disposal, great team spirit, lots of confidence, fans and media behind him, a whole nations imagination caught. And he threw it back at us for a shot at relegation with the giants of world football that are Birmingham City :angry:

Seriously ? :blink:

When was that, mid nineties ? Bloody hell.

A sign of things to come at Rangers, pished away a feck load of wages on dodgy free transfers when he was there.

He had it all made for him at one particular job as well. Half-decent players at his disposal, great team spirit, lots of confidence, fans and media behind him, a whole nations imagination caught. And he threw it back at us for a shot at relegation with the giants of world football that are Birmingham City :angry:

His spell at Rangers was partly during the period when we started getting skint (hence diddies like Capucho, Emerson et al) and yet he still won more head-to-head trophies than Martin O'Neill's Celtic.

Leaving Scotland when he did was hugely disappointing though.

I hope Motherwell go for someone a bit out of the box but I fear it'll be someone dull like Butcher or Black.