Aiden Mcgeady - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aiden Mcgeady

Dillinger

I surprised myself by how heartily I joined in with the booing and general abuse of McGeady. I was booing him because he is a 'Celtic-minded' bigot, not because I am one. I never jeered Ray Houghton etc. Different thing altogether.

The stick rat got seemed to upset a guy standing near me (as well the the booing McLean got because too many TA thought he was McCarthy, a total beamer admittedly), gave me the evil eye and got into a little argument with a guy behind him. He didn't reappear for the second half.

Show the low calibre of football fans these days when some act surprised and offended that McGeady got booed. Of course that was going to happen, that's the nature of football fans. And I'm sure those putting on a greetin' face about it have booed players for various reasons while supporting their clubs. Hypocrites.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I surprised myself by how heartily I joined in with the booing and general abuse of McGeady. I was booing him because he is a 'Celtic-minded' bigot, not because I am one. I never jeered Ray Houghton etc. Different thing altogether.

The stick rat got seemed to upset a guy standing near me (as well the the booing McLean got because too many TA thought he was McCarthy, a total beamer admittedly), gave me the evil eye and got into a little argument with a guy behind him. He didn't reappear for the second half.

Show the low calibre of football fans these days when some act surprised and offended that McGeady got booed. Of course that was going to happen, that's the nature of football fans. And I'm sure those putting on a greetin' face about it have booed players for various reasons while supporting their clubs. Hypocrites.

Spot on and pretty much why the Irish lads next to us got upset. no one forced them to sit in our end. A few of them are needing to man up a bit.

That said I do need to reiterate that on the whole the Irish were fantastic and a credit to their country.

Edited by Angus_Young

Even funnier that he was defending the post at the goal and decided to go walkabout hahahaha

Just watched the analysis after the game and Quinn and Houghton gave him it tight too

I think that's a bit harsh on him to be fair, but maybe there is something in the Agent McGeady thing after all.

Just glad Marshall made the save he did. A lot of keepers wouldn't have got there, and it would have been miserable to see McGeady having any sort of negative influence on Scotland's fortunes in this match.

Like most, I booed McGeady but I also had an exchange with a bunch of yobs in front of us who were screaming sectarian abuse. They got upset but were put in their place by true Tartan Army foot soldiers.

Like most, I booed McGeady but I also had an exchange with a bunch of yobs in front of us who were screaming sectarian abuse. They got upset but were put in their place by true Tartan Army foot soldiers.

We had a lot in front of us trying to start 'the famine is over...' . Wasn't slow in telling them that there was no place for that type of behaviour.

Can't believe I'm doing this but ireland bypassed the midfield so much, long ball football isn't going to suit any creative player.

Still a one trick pony at times and lost the ball a few times in his own half with silly dribbles.

Still took a good Marshall save to stop him getting the headlines. Small margins.

*agreed though not in the same class as those players

Ireland's players are as technically capable as ours but unfortunately they have a manager who would rather his team use brute force rather than skill to overcome opponents.

This worked up to a point - Walters won just about everything in the air and caused us problems all night - but that kind of approach eventually becomes predictable. We can also take care of ourselves and Strachan, McCall and McGhee deserve a lot of credit for encouraging the team to try and play football too.

There's a few ultra-sensitive ones like that but I think most of the Irish supporters took it on the chin, they knew McGeady was in for plenty of stick and why. A mate of mine who was at the game said the Ireland supporters were 10/10 :ok:

I had a good laugh this morning reading on twitter the predictable complaints by the "Glasgow Irish" that the TA are all "a bunch of racist hüns", and from the more loopy elements, how the Freemason's had tapped up the referee :lol:

Aye, I have read comments along those lines too. I am not quite sure how a group of (predominately) white Europeans abusing another white European can be considered 'racist' as such. Maybe it is xenophobic (ignoring the fact that McGeady is ostensibly Scottish) but if that is the case then why single him out when there are another 10 people of the same nationality to pick on?

And if the TA do bear some strange ill will towards Irish people (not that any was evident in Glasgow before or after the game) then why would be annoyed by someone who considers himself Irish electing not to represent Scotland? Those BNP/NF numpties who gave John Barnes and other black English players such a hard time in the 80s and 90s would have been delighted if they had declined call ups for England.

Personally, I didn't boo McGeady. If, for whatever reason, he considers himself Irish rather than Scottish then fine, I have no problem with that. In any case, I think the likes of Anya (the sole non white European to feature last night), Maloney, Naismith and Snodgrass are more effective players at international level and my energies last night were focussed on supporting them.

Ireland's players are as technically capable as ours but unfortunately they have a manager who would rather his team use brute force rather than skill to overcome opponents.

This worked up to a point - Walters won just about everything in the air and caused us problems all night - but that kind of approach eventually becomes predictable. We can also take care of ourselves and Strachan, McCall and McGhee deserve a lot of credit for encouraging the team to try and play football too.

Aye, I have read comments along those lines too. I am not quite sure how a group of (predominately) white Europeans abusing another white European can be considered 'racist' as such. Maybe it is xenophobic (ignoring the fact that McGeady is ostensibly Scottish) but if that is the case then why single him out when there are another 10 people of the same nationality to pick on?

And if the TA do bear some strange ill will towards Irish people (not that any was evident in Glasgow before or after the game) then why would be annoyed by someone who considers himself Irish electing not to represent Scotland? Those BNP/NF numpties who gave John Barnes and other black English players such a hard time in the 80s and 90s would have been delighted if they had declined call ups for England.

Personally, I didn't boo McGeady. If, for whatever reason, he considers himself Irish rather than Scottish then fine, I have no problem with that. In any case, I think the likes of Anya (the sole non white European to feature last night), Maloney, Naismith and Snodgrass are more effective players at international level and my energies last night were focussed on supporting them.

Thing is I don't think a lot of us that we're booing actually care either. I certainly don't but it's a fitba match, we are SUPPOSED to boo the opposition.

Clearly put him off anyway.

Edited by Angus_Young

I've seen on Twitter a few comparisons between McGeady and Martin, Morrison etc. the difference is obvious, if either of the English born Scots had been good enough for England they'd have opted to play for them. McGeady was (at the time) thought good enough to play for us but picked Eire through a tenuous link. As it happens, I'd pick Anya and Maloney over McGeady but the impression of disloyalty, maybe even a slight (probably unfounded tbf) suspicion that sectarianism played a part, (see James McLean for another example) hasn't helped. Anyway, his choice was made years ago, him. ?

We had a lot in front of us trying to start 'the famine is over...' . Wasn't slow in telling them that there was no place for that type of behaviour.

There have been more than enough posts on here relating different incidents to suggest there is a wee problem here.

Well done for standing up to these utter kunts.

edit: I thought Mcgeady and the game in general was borderline nasty, niggly. Undercurrent of unpleasantness that betrayed the surface events and this was reflected in the game itself.

Edited by thplinth

Aye sure if we had top player born and bred in Dublin in our team he wouldn't get any abuse over there next year... :rolleyes:

Remember speaking to a couple of Irish lads on holiday when the whole who will he would choose was developing, they said if it was an Irish lad turning his back on his country he'd be lynched and slaughtered in their press. Theydve acted exactly the same as we did last night Edited by Paulo2576

And what's the name of the Island he was born in?

I'll give you a clue it's the second word of the 'country' of Northern Ireland.

Aye but there's 2 nations on that island?!?! Haha. You're correct Ireland isn't a country it's an island with 2 nations, the North and the Republic

Aye but there's 2 nations on that island?!?! Haha. You're correct Ireland isn't a country it's an island with 2 nations, the North and the Republic

Ah Lichtie have you not taken your pills today?

Relax your team won :).

Your over and back between the two forums like a blue arse fly.

Ha ha Northern Ireland a 'nation'.

They're not a nation, a country or even the entire province of Ulster but that's another argument.

Best not go off topic.

Just glad Marshall made the save he did.

That was superb, wasn't it.

And I can't be alone, can I, when I say that when McGeady had the ball at his feet and turned on the speed he had me holding my breath.

Having said that, I think, as I thought when he was at Celtic, that he promises much but delivers little.

Ha ha Northern Ireland a 'nation'.

They're not a nation, a country or even the entire province of Ulster but that's another argument.

Sorry to break it to you, but they are... and a third of the Irish are from the nation Northern Ireland. So same rules apply to McLean