Recurring Dreams - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Recurring Dreams

For decades I've been having a recurring dream about an entire area of Stirling that doesn't actually exist: a network of streets full of high sandstone buildings that, in the dream exist between Dumbarton Road and the Back Walk. It's so consistent I could draw it or map it, and it's so convincing that it feels as if it should exist, but can't.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For decades I've been having a recurring dream about an entire area of Stirling that doesn't actually exist: a network of streets full of high sandstone buildings that, in the dream exist between Dumbarton Road and the Back Walk. It's so consistent I could draw it or map it, and it's so convincing that it feels as if it should exist, but can't.

Know where you mean, stirling born and bred, you should draw it and or map it. It my reveal a lot.

The first serious job I took as a young man stressed me out. I think I woke up about 30 seconds before my alarm was due to go off every ing day for a year - no lie there was something in me watching that clock while I was asleep and it woke me up just before the alarm did every day - for about a year at least.

Rat race.

I used to do that most days for years and years. It didn't bother me though. In fact it annoyed me when I "slept in" and had to get woken by that annoying buzzing noise.

speaking of vivid dreams, has anybody here ever had an experience with sleep paralysis?......now that IS scary sh1t!! it has only happened to me on four occasions but I remember each one vividly,

really hard to explain, each time has been slightly different. during an episode it is always hard to tell if you are dreaming or not.

for example the first time it happened to me I got out of bed and began to walk around my bedroom, looked out the window, it was sunny outside and there was a horrible looking goblin type creature looking back at me. part of me knew I was only dreaming as it was night and should be dark outside but it was extremely difficult to get a sense of reality. it went on for what felt like forever before I finally woke up, it was absolutely terrifying!

On another occasion, I actually thought I might be dead but I was lying face down and could feel my heart thumping against the mattress, so this reassured me.

Like I say, it's difficult to explain. All I know is that I will be happy if I never have to experience it again.

I get something like that occasionally. For me it usually feels like somebody is in the room who shouldn't be there. It's like my brain is awake but my body isn't. I am desperate to wake up, just to check that nobody is there but I can't move. I want to pinch myself to wake myself up but I can't because I can't move. And I try really hard to open my eyes but they wont open.

I'm on a plane that's is struggling to get any height and ends up having to fly between buildings, under tree branches and electric pylons. It's always a large passenger plane. More often than not the pilot somehow concedes we are in trouble. For some reason I see the scenery out of the front of the plane? Frighteningly vivid with me often realising this is it......

Also, the day before an exam finding my lecture notes are totally crap and incomplete.

Lastly, my teeth crumble in my mouth but for some reason I just can't spit anything out. I might just be confusing this with me being p1shed and staggering home from the Dolphin chipper with a mouthful of white pudding to be honest.

Have all three dreams a couple of times a year.

Edited by SMcoolJ

I had a paralysis dream where I work up and in a panic I reach to the door handle and my hand goes through the handle. I then woke up with a start. I get up to get a drink and the same thing happens, hand goes through the door handle.

Again I wake up with a start. I'm now bricking it that I'm still in the dream, eventually sneak over to the door and to my relief I'm actually awake.

Apparently people who see ghosts and aliens are having these type of vivid near real dreams.

J

I'm not very good at remembering dreams so a few years ago I decided to do a wee experiment. My plan was that every time I woke up during the night, I would write down a few notes of what I had just been dreaming about. This only lasted about 3 nights, as every morning I would get up and find nothing more than a pile of incomprehensible hieroglyphics. The only conclusion I could come up with was that I dreamt in fluent Ancient Egyptian.

I had a paralysis dream where I work up and in a panic I reach to the door handle and my hand goes through the handle. I then woke up with a start. I get up to get a drink and the same thing happens, hand goes through the door handle.

Again I wake up with a start. I'm now bricking it that I'm still in the dream, eventually sneak over to the door and to my relief I'm actually awake.

Apparently people who see ghosts and aliens are having these type of vivid near real dreams.

J

Yes, I have experienced that too. So desperate to awake, finally think you have but then realise you are still dreaming!! Absolute nightmare!....pardon the pun!

You are interesting! I have a sleep paralysis story but WTF did the goblin look like, best recollection please? And what happened with the 'thought you were dead' experience? (Death is not be shied away from.)

Not sure if goblin describes it best. I could only see the head and shoulders of the figure, remember the head was really large and his (think it was a he) face was disfigured. I cant really remember any more details, wouldn't say he looked evil but he made me feel very uneasy.

During my second episode I was lying face down on my bed. Again I got up and walked around my bedroom, nothing too freaky happened this time. Then I realised (thought) I was dreaming and could not wake up. I panicked and I remember thinking.....have I just died in my sleep! Just as I thought that I could feel my heart beating against the mattress, I was very relieved but could still not wake up. As someone else mentioned, during an episode you can 'wake' up many times before you actually do.

Yeah I get that a lot. You are in a place but it looks completely different to the real place. Tenement blocks in the countryside, detailed streets of cities that not the real streets, etc.

I used to get chase dreams a lot in my early teens. Loved them, as at that time in my life they were the only time I felt in control, free. Life is simple in chase dreams, run or be captured. Sometimes if I eluded capture for a while my parents would pop up and beg me to hand myself in to the authorities which would rile me and sap my ability to think straight. Don't think it needs much of a psychologist to work out what they were about.

I'm on a plane that's is struggling to get any height and ends up having to fly between buildings, under tree branches and electric pylons. It's always a large passenger plane. More often than not the pilot somehow concedes we are in trouble. For some reason I see the scenery out of the front of the plane? Frighteningly vivid with me often realising this is it......

I'm on those flights with you.

Also, recognise the circular "waking from a dream but still asleep" situations. It's bizarre to be unable to wake yourself out of it.

Edited by aljay

I get something like that occasionally. For me it usually feels like somebody is in the room who shouldn't be there. It's like my brain is awake but my body isn't. I am desperate to wake up, just to check that nobody is there but I can't move. I want to pinch myself to wake myself up but I can't because I can't move. And I try really hard to open my eyes but they wont open.

This is EXACTLY the experience I have had twice or maybe three times I think but probably more that I have forgotten.

Have not had it for a while now. Last time I was sure someone was standing next to the bed, I got myself mentally ready to spin around and turn on the light and when I went for it, completely paralysed, could not even open my eyelids or move an arm. Felt like I was wide awake and shitting myself. Very intense feeling of fear that someone was in the room. Not sure how long it lasted.

There's 2 I have quite frequently. In the first I'll be talking and feel something gritty in my mouth. I'll try to spit it out and then realise it's my teeth that are crumbling. I'll keep spitting and spitting but no matter how much I still can't clear my mouth of crumbled teeth.

In the second I'm always running and for whatever reason jumping over obstacles on the way, puddles, small walls etc. The jumps get longer and higher each time until I'm almost sort of flying and in the dream I love that sensation. Eventually though I'll be jumping so long and high that I kind of lose control and start almost floating away, trying to grab on to anything to get me back down to earth. I always do but there's always a sense of panic that I'm not going to manage it and just keep floating away.

I used to get chase dreams a lot in my early teens. Loved them, as at that time in my life they were the only time I felt in control, free. Life is simple in chase dreams, run or be captured. Sometimes if I eluded capture for a while my parents would pop up and beg me to hand myself in to the authorities which would rile me and sap my ability to think straight. Don't think it needs much of a psychologist to work out what they were about.

Yeah I know my way around a chase dream and you are right.

You ever get the fight dream where you can only punch in slow motion?

This is EXACTLY the experience I have had twice or maybe three times I think but probably more that I have forgotten.

Have not had it for a while now. Last time I was sure someone was standing next to the bed, I got myself mentally ready to spin around and turn on the light and when I went for it, completely paralysed, could not even open my eyelids or move an arm. Felt like I was wide awake and shitting myself. Very intense feeling of fear that someone was in the room. Not sure how long it lasted.

I had an experience on Christmas day maybe about 15 years ago. I dozed off on the couch and when I woke up I could hear my Dad and Brother chatting and the TV in the background. I just lay there with my eyes open listening to them talk pish and then went to join in the conversation. When I tried to talk I couldn't and when i tried to sit up or move I couldn't either. Literally the only part of my body I could move were my eyelids and it's really hard to attract peoples attention by blinking!

This went on for what seemed like ages with me getting more and more panicked in my head but unable to do anything about. I eventually must have fell asleep again and when I woke this time everything was normal. I told my Dad and Brother what happened and there immediate reaction was that I was dreaming however when I told them what i'd heard them talking about they had had that conversation. It was really, really freaky and thankfully has never happened again,

speaking of vivid dreams, has anybody here ever had an experience with sleep paralysis?......now that IS scary sh1t!! it has only happened to me on four occasions but I remember each one vividly,

really hard to explain, each time has been slightly different. during an episode it is always hard to tell if you are dreaming or not.

for example the first time it happened to me I got out of bed and began to walk around my bedroom, looked out the window, it was sunny outside and there was a horrible looking goblin type creature looking back at me. part of me knew I was only dreaming as it was night and should be dark outside but it was extremely difficult to get a sense of reality. it went on for what felt like forever before I finally woke up, it was absolutely terrifying!

On another occasion, I actually thought I might be dead but I was lying face down and could feel my heart thumping against the mattress, so this reassured me.

Like I say, it's difficult to explain. All I know is that I will be happy if I never have to experience it again.

I'm Narcoleptic and have Sleep Paralysis about 4 times a night, usually 3 times when falling asleep and once when waking up. I've had it since I was a kid and learned to actually enjoy the experience... Now I'm an adult I've lost some of the control I had over the experience and it's back to being frequently terrifying :lol:

There's 2 I have quite frequently. In the first I'll be talking and feel something gritty in my mouth. I'll try to spit it out and then realise it's my teeth that are crumbling. I'll keep spitting and spitting but no matter how much I still can't clear my mouth of crumbled teeth.

I've had the exact same crumbling teeth dream for about 40 years !!!

I heard it meant insecurity ?

My other recurring dream is I've killed someone years ago and buried them in a shallow grave. Builders are now digging in the area and are about to discover it or the police have already found it and I'm shitting it that I'm going to get caught.

Hope it IS only a dream ha ha !

I've had the exact same crumbling teeth dream for about 40 years !!!

I heard it meant insecurity ?

My other recurring dream is I've killed someone years ago and buried them in a shallow grave. Builders are now digging in the area and are about to discover it or the police have already found it and I'm shitting it that I'm going to get caught.

I heard anxiety but who knows.

I dreamed last night that I got a girl from work pregnant at the Christmas party. The entire work ostracised me and the wife and family disowned me. It was really horrible and I was so relieved when I woke up. Needles to say i didn't tell the wife and I'll be removing my name from the Christmas party list later!

I heard anxiety but who knows.

I dreamed last night that I got a girl from work pregnant at the Christmas party. The entire work ostracised me and the wife and family disowned me. It was really horrible and I was so relieved when I woke up. Needles to say i didn't tell the wife and I'll be removing my name from the Christmas party list later!

Have you got a photo of the burd? I'm guessing she's hot.

I think that one might come from watching too much Scoobydoo?