New SNP leader - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

53 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

It has to be Kate Forbes.
The SNP needs to move on from both Salmond and Sturgeon

She ticks all the boxes:

• Cambridge graduate
  • young, female
  • smart and articulate
  • economically literate (worked for Barclays)

The only reason UK media make a fuss about the church she attended is because they are petrified of someone competent.  Hopeful there are enough reasonable / sensible members left in the party to elect the right person.

I have a branch meeting tonight. I hadn’t intended going but If I can steer the conversation away from how many pound shilling and pence are in the branch account I am going to try and change some opinions . I made it abundantly clear Humza was not going to cope , but they all voted for him. 
The only way, as you say, to stand a chance is to break from ‘continuity candidates’  . It might not work, but the party are left with few choices. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they go with Swinney, the party will be in the doldrums for ages.  We need someone who will shake things up.  Swinney is not that person, which is why he is being promoted by the MSM and BBC Scotland.  I'm a devout atheist but I'd vote for Forbes in a straight vote between her and Swinney as I don't believe she would prioritise her own beliefs over what she knows the public want and to me the SNP needs a fresh start - which Swinney isn't.  Ridiculous that she is being demonised for her beliefs when Yousaf pretty much got a free ride.  Hmm, maybe should rephrase that last bit...

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Aye, he got the title wrong...

Indeed.

Though i doubt the SNP establishment will have the potential impact on the Yes vote in their minds as a priority. It's about trying to avoid losing lots of seats in the coming elections.

The point still stands if they won't switch their vote.

I want Forbes to run and win. Although not because I think she will a miracle worker, but to show the opposite of that. It's done for now. There isn't a mechanism to independence that isn't through permission by the UK goverment.

I'd like to see what she does, what ideas she has. She might be smart to wait it out a bit, get her family up a bit. Get a cabinet position in Swinney's government and take it from there.

9 minutes ago, phart said:

The point still stands if they won't switch their vote.

I want Forbes to run and win. Although not because I think she will a miracle worker, but to show the opposite of that. It's done for now. There isn't a mechanism to independence that isn't through permission by the UK goverment.

I agree with you re indy.

I'm just trying to figure out which candidate gives the SNP the best chance of losing fewest seats at the upcoming elections. The No-voting Tory voters that Forbes is popular with should be weighted less than the Yes-voting SNP voters in any calculation an SNP member makes when deciding their leader.

Before seeing that polling i would have said Forbes was the best choice to retain SNP seats, but i'm back on the fence now.

10 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I agree with you re indy.

I'm just trying to figure out which candidate gives the SNP the best chance of losing fewest seats at the upcoming elections. The No-voting Tory voters that Forbes is popular with should be weighted less than the Yes-voting SNP voters in any calculation an SNP member makes when deciding their leader.

Before seeing that polling i would have said Forbes was the best choice to retain SNP seats, but i'm back on the fence now.

Summing up by the pollster

IMG_9814.thumb.jpeg.99741c6c8188c8b9c0235b3cb18cf510.jpeg

Anyone that says Forbes will be too divisive needs to be asked about the massive membership drop of the last 2-3 years 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Summing up by the pollster

Yeah, i read that. But specifically which parts of the electorate?

The data seems to say Tories (who are unlikely to switch to the SNP (apart from in the Tartan-Tory heartland of the north east)).

15 minutes ago, mariokempes said:

Swinney pretty certain now. In which case the fix will be in  the bodies will stay hidden, the redactor pen is readied,  and many, many more thousands will abandon the SNP. 

Utter farce.

I'm still confident Forbes can win if she decides to stand

There is a huge amount of muck to be flung at "Honest John" and surely there are some within the SNP that can see that blindingly obvious scenario

Meanwhile Ash Regan voted to bring down the SNP Government earlier

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Yeah, i read that. But specifically which parts of the electorate?

The data seems to say Tories (who are unlikely to switch to the SNP (apart from in the Tartan-Tory heartland of the north east)).

Another factor though is who they'd be up against in an election. In 2011 most polling put Labour in front until quite late on, as the prospect of Iain Gray as FM began to sink in with people. The end result, as we know now, was an SNP majority victory with Salmond returned as FM.

At this point in time I feel confident either Forbes or Swinney would be preferred over the alternatives leading Labour or the Tories.

Supposed secret talks between Kate Forbes and John Swinney

No doubt ordered by Sturgeon to offer her a place in Swinney's cabinet - maybe even Depute

Go to the people Kate - it's the SNP that will lose if Swinney is elected and you'll be tarnished

Confirmed by Forbes's "people", seemingly.

I wonder if HJ has potentially offered her her old job back as a sweetener for not standing. 🤔

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I wonder if HJ has potentially offered her her old job back as a sweetener for not standing. 🤔

They were more likely playing a game of Scabby Queen . Its no exactly the most attractive gig at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Anyone that says Forbes will be too divisive needs to be asked about the massive membership drop of the last 2-3 years 

I firmly believe we get most of those who left the party back with a Forbes win

41 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Forbes with do what she thinks right, “sweetners” won’t come into it 

50 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Supposed secret talks between Kate Forbes and John Swinney

No doubt ordered by Sturgeon to offer her a place in Swinney's cabinet - maybe even Depute

Go to the people Kate - it's the SNP that will lose if Swinney is elected and you'll be tarnished

Absolutely this. Swinney is yesterday's man and has the persona of a wet fish.

It all smacks of faction over country to me. If this is a stitch up then I think that's it for me with regards my membership.

36 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

They were more likely playing a game of Scabby Queen . Its no exactly the most attractive gig at the moment. 

Especially if you have no intention of getting Scotland Independent .......

People asking why Forbes being criticised. As I understand it, it's not because she's a Christian as such, but because she'd have opposed gay marriage, ie seen as, at best divisive, at worst homophobic  

Would Swinney not be a stop gap, like paving the way for Flynn?

I'd prefer to see Forbes v Flynn as a proper debate about the future

13 hours ago, duncan II said:

To be fair, it would be a strong indicator if the person was a sane human being or one more concerned with being seen as bein "progressive" (a word now lost meaning) and terrified of upsetting what is effectively a cult.

But in asking the question, it's immediately deflecting the question (like this thread) away from independence. 

And... it presumes someone knows the 'correct' answer.

8 minutes ago, exile said:

Would Swinney not be a stop gap, like paving the way for Flynn?

I'd prefer to see Forbes v Flynn as a proper debate about the future

It's a tactic that;

1 - Ignores the fact that Scotland can't wait any longer for Independence

2 - Kicks the can down the road for another 2.3.4.5 years

Ash regan was my first choice last year, closely followed by kate forbes.  

as long as its somebody that doesnt do any deals with the wierdo greens.  Surely better off getting the lib dems on board in the interim, rebuild some credibility and then try and get an overall majority to table independence in the next parliament.

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Forbes with do what she thinks right, “sweetners” won’t come into it 

That's to her credit, and if she stands she'll almost certainly get my vote.

My concern, though, is if she gets the job now this rubbish about her religion will continue unabated, infecting everything else she does to the point where her position becomes untenable. A potentially good party leader and political career over before it really began,  and the SNP back to square one, scrabbling around looking for a new leader.

Swinney, on the other hand, already semi-retired, wouldn't be there any longer than a couple of years, so Forbes could return to her former role, where she was effective, and possibly act as deputy FM too, thus giving herself a platform and the opportunity to show her abilities and remind the country what she's really about. There's a succession plan, right there.

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's to her credit, and if she stands she'll almost certainly get my vote.

My concern, though, is if she gets the job now this rubbish about her religion will continue unabated, infecting everything else she does to the point where her position becomes untenable. A potentially good party leader and political career over before it really began,  and the SNP back to square one, scrabbling around looking for a new leader.

Swinney, on the other hand, already semi-retired, wouldn't be there any longer than a couple of years, so Forbes could return to her former role, where she was effective, and possibly act as deputy FM too, thus giving herself a platform and the opportunity to show her abilities and remind the country what she's really about. There's a succession plan, right there.

Kate Forbes’s religion is Christianity which for hundreds of years has been the predominant religion of this country.  We are not talking a religion where they stone women to death and throw gays off the top of buildings like extremists of some others we could discuss.

She is mainstream. Personally I am an ahtheist and I find her entirely relatable and sensible. I have met her on a couple of occasions and she is bright, articulate and head and shoulders above the Shona Robinson’s of this world. Only the loony fringe would have a problem with Kate Forbes in power.