The mood at full time - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The mood at full time

LoganRoy

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

We don’t have any depth apart from midfield.  People got all excited about our full backs but we have two really if you exclude tierney as we need him at centre half.

Calvin ramsay… remember him?  

It is all relative though. In terms of depth we are much better depth than say 5 to 10 years ago across the pitch in general apart from goalkeeping department. And I would include Tierney as if Robertson is injured I am sure Tierney would slot in there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

We don’t have any depth apart from midfield.  People got all excited about our full backs but we have two really if you exclude tierney as we need him at centre half.

Calvin ramsay… remember him?  

We have 3 left backs who are regular starters in England, Spain and Italys top flight. 2 of which are top top players. Our 4th choice left back is Celtics 1st choice left back.

At right back we have a regular starter in the EPL and a squad player in the EPL.

Thats pretty strong if you ask me.

22 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Patterson was poor but he has some credit in the bank. If he plays as poor in the next 3 friendlies then thats another matter.

Ralston is miles off the standard needed. None of the subs looked good on Friday but he was just as poor.

Given the option of Ralston or trying to install abit of confidence back into Patterson then id opt for the later.

One thing for sure is Patterson needs a move in the summer.

I agree, although, ironically, Ralston delivered our best cross of the evening - better than anything produced by Patterson or Robertson - and Christie should have done better with his headed finish.

Fingers crossed Hickey makes it in time.

On 3/24/2024 at 12:43 PM, Diamond Scot said:

I think an above average player, playing well with confidence in the Championship is better for the national team than the same player struggling in the EPL. 

However a good player playing well in the EPL will be better than the above championship player. Ie McGinn / McTomminay / Gilmour are better than Armstrong / McLean however Patterson playing for a side like Leeds every week would be better than his current situation at Everton.

As a rule, there probably isn't much difference in terms of quality between players who play for teams that "yo-yo" between the EPL and the Championship, like Norwich and Sheffield United.

There is a difference, though, between players who feature regularly for sides in the top half of the EPL and Championship players. Technically we had EPL players in our squad 10 - 12 years ago but most of them played for teams who were battling relegation; few, if any, played regularly for teams who were competing for the title or European places. Thankfully that is currently no longer the case and this, for me, is the single biggest factor behind our up-turn in fortune over the past couple of years. 

2 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Scotland are always shite in friendlies. For simple reason that much of our strength as a nation comes from raising our game and running sleeves up when it really matters.

Im expecting us to turn over Finland tomorrow, Im glad there has t been any more squad pullouts.