Euros squad current situations - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euros squad current situations

syecosse

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think this would help Scotland at all. It's a big help to the bigger nations who can call on big squads of very good players. It would make Clarkes job of picking the squad a lot easier, but he would just be filling the squad with players that he hopes he won't need to use. 

I agree.  It’s like increasing the number of subs to five from 12 or whatever it is.  Only helps the big, rich clubs. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Nah, he can take players recovering from injuries, but who will be fit for the later stages.

Hope Hickey can make it in some form although not promising at all he's apparently had an injury setback at Brentford as you'd have liked to have seen him get a few starts in their run in. What's O'Donnell up to now....

Patterson really struggled and isn't going to be playing much at Everton so that's become a problem position again when it looked sorted 18 months ago.

23 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Nah, he can take players recovering from injuries, but who will be fit for the later stages.

I guess the above isn't entirely serious but has there ever been a player who's gone to a tournament unfit and played their way into form. I remember Beckham and Rooney both saying it was a mistake for them to go in 2002 and 2006 respectively. 

If Hickey doesn't play at all before the tournament, he's not worth taking.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:53 PM, Orraloon said:

I don't think this would help Scotland at all. It's a big help to the bigger nations who can call on big squads of very good players. It would make Clarkes job of picking the squad a lot easier, but he would just be filling the squad with players that he hopes he won't need to use. 

Different game of course, but in rugby the introduction of a subs bench has been dreadful for smaller countries and for the game, IMHO. Means that a good first 15 isn’t enough any more - you need a first 23, plus enough spare players to cover all of the inevitable injuries with no drop-off in quality. Tall order for teams like Scotland. Plus players (front rows especially) no longer need to be able to play 80 mins, so they don’t need to be as fit or mobile and can bulk up as much as they like, which leads to more injuries. Et cetera.