If we qualify for last 16... Where do we play? - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If we qualify for last 16... Where do we play?

Haggis_trap

Help me out here. 
If Scotland qualify for last 16 (.... we will!) then where do we play?

EURO 2024 schedule
uefa_euro_2024_match_schedule.pdf

1st place) Winners of group A (1A) play in Dortmund on 29th June
2nd place) Runner up of group A (2A) play in Berlin on 29th June
3rd place) 3rd place of group A play:
- in Cologne (3A/C/E/F) on 30th June
- OR in Frankfurt (3A/B/C) on 1st July
- OR in Munich (3A/B/C/D) on 2nd July

Is that correct?

Edited by Haggis_trap

6 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

At least finishing top 2 you can plan.

Finishing 3rd we'll have to wait till all groups are complete & still might not be good enough to progress.

A tall order but winning the group would be the best outcome. Would play the runner up in England's group. That one is clearly designed to get Germany a knockout game in Berlin.

Runner up in our group will likely play Italy or Spain.

Basically:

Win the group and we play in Dortmund on the 29th against the runner-up in England group.

Finish 2nd and its Berlin on the same day against the runner up of the Spain/Italy/Croatia/Albania group (this is where you could see some potential "fixing" of results, like what Southgate likes to do)

Finnish 3rd, then got to wait and see what happens, then its a case of we might be playing in Cologne or Gelsenkirchen on the 30th, Frankfurt on the 1st, or Munich on the 2nd 

Edited by wanderer

Finishing 3rd of a 4 team group is garbage and going through.

Means the whole things is totally unfair dependant on what group you’re in. Some group winners getting to play teams 2nd place. Other teams finishing 2nd facing others that finish 2nd. Some group winners facing 3rd place teams. Some groups finishing later than others so knowing a 0-0 for example gets them through rather than a 2-2 and crap like that. 

Was far better before. 2 through. 2 out. All Group winners facing a runner up. 

But it created an extra 8 matches and that means money. 

Ofcourse I won’t complain if we make it through. But whole things is amateur hour. Having 24 teams play 3 matches each just to eliminate 8 teams is stupid. 

Edited by GaryWood34

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Finnish 3rd, then got to wait and see what happens, then its a case of we might be playing in Cologne or Gelsenkirchen on the 30th, Frankfurt on the 1st, or Munich on the 2nd 

.....or one of the two teams going home.

Just now, GaryWood34 said:

Finishing 3rd of a 4 team group is garbage. 

Means the whole things is totally unfair dependant on what group you’re in. Some group winners getting to play teams 2nd place. Other teams finishing 2nd facing others that finish 2nd. Some group winners facing 3rd place teams. Some groups finishing later than others so knowing a 0-0 for example gets them through rather than a 2-2 and crap like that. 

Ofcourse I won’t complain if we make it through. But whole things is amateur hour. Having 24 teams play 3 matches each just to eliminate 8 teams is stupid. 

Agree with this

The new champions league is shit as well.

Ken what while I am at it - only allow managers to be appointed in transfer windows. Sure, sack who you have but it means someone else has to do the job from within. Far too many teams appoint someone and after 10 games they’re away. Made your bed - lie in it. 

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Basically:

Win the group and we play in Dortmund on the 29th against the runner-up in England group.

Finish 2nd and its Berlin on the same day against the runner up of the Spain/Italy/Croatia/Albania group (this is where you could see some potential "fixing" of results, like what Southgate likes to do)

Do you mean Spain or Italy may want us so fix it? 

Edited by GaryWood34

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

A tall order but winning the group would be the best outcome. Would play the runner up in England's group. That one is clearly designed to get Germany a knockout game in Berlin.

Runner up in our group will likely play Italy or Spain.

Clearly it wasn't as the game's in Dortmund 🤦

😆

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

Finishing 3rd of a 4 team group is garbage and going through.

I agree the 16 team Euros was a better format but much harder to qualify for.

With 24 teams you could have a format where the best 4 group winners get a bye to the quarter finals, that would encourage teams to rack up the goals. The remaining 2 group winners and 6 runners up would play the 2nd round fixtures. Means a lot of sitting about for some teams though.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Finish 3rd, then got to wait and see what happens, then its a case of we might be playing in Cologne or Gelsenkirchen on the 30th, Frankfurt on the 1st, or Munich on the 2nd 

Gelsenkirchen?

FIrst I've heard of that. I thought it was Cologne, Frankfurt or Munich.

13 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Gelsenkirchen?

FIrst I've heard of that. I thought it was Cologne, Frankfurt or Munich.

Yep, granted, that only the best 3rd place team from Group D,E & F who play the winner of England's group.

So for us, its either Cologne v the winner of the Spain/Croatia/Italy group, Frankfurt to play the winner of the Turkey/Portugal/Czech group or Munich to play the winner of Belgium/Slovakia/Romania/Play off B.

On paper, actually finishing 3rd with a good points tally and getting a game in Frankfurt v the Czech's or Munich against Slovakia would be more appealing than playing Serbia/England or Italy/Croatia/Spain.

15 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Do you mean Spain or Italy may want us so fix it? 

Yeah, most teams will go in to the 3rd game before a ball is kicked knowing what their route to the final will be (Southgate has played this game at almost every tournament, where he knows the game he can take a "hit", but the reward is knowing he avoids the big teams almost all the way to the final)

13 hours ago, saintsparky said:

I'm booked up from the 13th to the 3rd July...although last three nights have free canx.

No flight back booked yet...

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I'm booked 13-24, flying home after that and working a few days. 

Then flying back out for any knock out game(s)

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Yep, granted, that only the best 3rd place team from Group D,E & F who play the winner of England's group.

So for us, its either Cologne v the winner of the Spain/Croatia/Italy group, Frankfurt to play the winner of the Turkey/Portugal/Czech group or Munich to play the winner of Belgium/Slovakia/Romania/Play off B.

On paper, actually finishing 3rd with a good points tally and getting a game in Frankfurt v the Czech's or Munich against Slovakia would be more appealing than playing Serbia/England or Italy/Croatia/Spain.

My heart sank when you mentioned Gelsenkirchen.

Not at you, but at UEFA. 

I thought, 'A sixth venue? How can UEFA make this so f*cking complicated?!'

When does the EURO 2024 round of 16 start?

29 June
38 2A vs 2B (Berlin, 18:00)
37 1A vs 2C (Dortmund, 21:00)

30 June
40 1C vs 3D/E/F (Gelsenkirchen), 18:00)
39 1B vs 3A/D/E/F (Cologne, 21:00)

1 July
42 2D vs 2E (Düsseldorf, 18:00)
41 1F vs 3A/B/C (Frankfurt, 21:00)

2 July
43 1E vs 3A/B/C/D (Munich, 18:00)
44 1D vs 2F (Leipzig), 21:00)

Win our group ( 1A ) we play in Dortmund 29th June 

2nd in our group ( 2A ) we play in Berlin 29th June 

3rd in our group ( 3A ) then it all depends on Pts GD goals scored and I’m sure yellow cards comes into it, if 3rd placed teams can’t be separated?? As mentioned earlier it will be Cologne / Frankfurt / Munich and not Gelsenkirchen as mentioned for finishing as one of the best 3rd placed Teams

Scotlands last group game is on Sunday 23rd June, if Scotland were to finish 3rd then there is a possibility of a 9 Day gap if WE were to play the winner of Group.E on the 2nd of July in Munich 

51 minutes ago, Bosh96 said:

It could be any of the three venues, it all depends on the combination of groups that make up the best 3rd places. 

7C29C470-F037-47D0-A6DD-2E92F788A235.jpeg

From that table the most likely outcome (5 possible permutations) is that if we qualify in 3rd place we will play 1F (probably Portugal) in Frankfurt.