Twelfth night - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anybody doing anything? It's always puzzled me that more isn't made of this (even commercial opportunities). In my understanding, in pre-Reformation times, this was the really big event, more so than 25 December.  Now all we do is take down the decorations. Anyone got Twelfth Night traditions or thinking of starting any?

15 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Actors rhyming slang for a dump?

Incorrect

Actors refer to that as a Richard the Third

15 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Great tune

Supergrass along with other musicians would call it an Eartha

Eartha Kitt

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Isolating with COVID so I won't need to bother taking the tree down.

Have had beer and whisky distributed to me also 👍

I'm getting attracted to the idea of keeping decorations up to Candlemas which is, I think, 5 February. Not going to happen because my wife won't let me but there's something about the idea of lights and greenery sustaining us through the dark days of winter which may well still lie ahead. Irrespective of any religious ideas, might just be useful from a mental health point of view 

Anyhow I baked a Black Bun and an Apricot and Almond tart which I was led to believe is eaten in Spain at this time of year. Couple of glasses of something sparkling and a half decent film.

Oh and hope all goes well and you're feeling better soon with no long term effects.

Edited by Hertsscot

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm getting attracted to the idea of keeping decorations up to Candlemas which is, I think, 5 February. Not going to happen because my wife won't let me but there's something about the idea of lights and greenery sustaining us through the dark days of winter which may well still lie ahead. Irrespective of any religious ideas, might just be useful from a mental health point of view 

Anyhow I baked a Black Bun and an Apricot and Almond tart which I was led to believe is eaten in Spain at this time of year. Couple of glasses of something sparkling and a half decent film.

Oh and hope all goes well and you're feeling better soon with no long term effects.

Cheers, definitely past the peak, just keeping out of everyone else's road.

The couple of years I spent on the continent taught me that the fixation with pulling the decorations down by January 6th is not universally held.

13 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Sounds lovely. We took the wee man on the Black Bun special from Bo'ness on Hogmanay, a nice wee trip with your Black Bun and cuppa included. Those in first class were getting served a magic looking full breakfast so we were a bit envious...

22 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Sounds lovely. We took the wee man on the Black Bun special from Bo'ness on Hogmanay, a nice wee trip with your Black Bun and cuppa included. Those in first class were getting served a magic looking full breakfast so we were a bit envious...

That's just down the road from me, so I'll keep my eyes open for that next year - or I guess, the end of this year!

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Elvis used to keep the decorations up till his birthday, a tradition that still takes place at Graceland.

Off at a tangent but I believe birthday weeks and half birthdays are now a “thing” in America 

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Off at a tangent but I believe birthday weeks and half birthdays are now a “thing” in America 

I've been trying to introduce my half birthday to the family's celebration calendar for over ten years but still no one is having it.

13 minutes ago, duncan II said:

I've been trying to introduce my half birthday to the family's celebration calendar for over ten years but still no one is having it.

I’m genuinely not trying to take the pish but birthdays are for lassies. Adult males (over 21) celebrating birthdays 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, dan cake said:

I’m genuinely not trying to take the pish but birthdays are for lassies. Adult males (over 21) celebrating birthdays 🤷‍♂️

I'm 51. I still like my birthday. My wee boy (9) still thinks it's a special day so I do too.

36 minutes ago, duncan II said:

I'm 51. I still like my birthday. My wee boy (9) still thinks it's a special day so I do too.

I just think it’s attention seeking once you’re over 21, remind me when yours is coming up so I can wish you all the best tho 👍

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

I just think it’s attention seeking once you’re over 21, remind me when yours is coming up so I can wish you all the best tho 👍

Half birthday 15th of this month 👍😄

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

That's just down the road from me, so I'll keep my eyes open for that next year - or I guess, the end of this year!

I thought you were down South! I'll send you the link when it comes through later in the year 👍 It's just got a nice feel about it, think it's mainly volunteer run. The coal fire was on behind the ticket guy in his wee office.