Views on Charter Companies - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Views on Charter Companies

GroundsKeeper

I have been to over 100 away games ( or approaching that number)

I have very rarely used charter companies as they are very expensive, but time is money.

I have used passport travel before, don't think they exist anymore. But they were very professional. 

Went to Paris with them ( berti vogts) and the Ukraine game in 2006, the one when there was trouble.

Headcounts on busses against names lists, etc very professional.

Never used Sport Options any body been with them, any good ? I seen they were handing out boarding passes at their hotels before transfer to the airport.

They look very well organised.

Passport Travel were great for us getting started on this road, but we moved on doing our own thing.

They even organised middle of the night pick-ups to get to the airport, and when Paris was seriously disrupted by some march or something, the guys went around the stadium after the game with a placard to collect people for the mystery bus location.

I don't think they lost a soul, (but mind a WESTA bus leaving Easter Road without someone. I presume they didn't want to be found).

Edited by Grim Jim

In the days before mobile phones and cheap flights aplenty organised trips were great and you met some fantastic folk as well as arseholes (us)

I could write a book on my adventures with Ian Sharp's Euroscot

Doubt there will be anything like that these days

Passport Travel were for the well off and lazy that were too used to home comforts

We used Sport Options for Moldova last time there, and very well organised. We had to sort our own hotel and all transport but it was fine. Just recently went to a Georgia with Wonky Sheep and they were far more impressive. All communication was very good and swift, regardless of in or out of normal business hours, they had 3 staff on the flight and in the same hotel should you have any issues. Transfers to/ from the hotel in Georgia was also very organised, head counts, set busses for everyone etc so spot on.

6 of us have booked their Euros full trip as we joined their club after Georgia too. Will likely use them for nations league next year if there is another awkward city to get to.

3 hours ago, Scotschic said:

We used Sport Options for Moldova last time there, and very well organised. We had to sort our own hotel and all transport but it was fine. Just recently went to a Georgia with Wonky Sheep and they were far more impressive. All communication was very good and swift, regardless of in or out of normal business hours, they had 3 staff on the flight and in the same hotel should you have any issues. Transfers to/ from the hotel in Georgia was also very organised, head counts, set busses for everyone etc so spot on.

6 of us have booked their Euros full trip as we joined their club after Georgia too. Will likely use them for nations league next year if there is another awkward city to get to.

I have to admit, i thought the Wonky Sheep 3 game trip was very reasonably priced. 

I used Passport Travel a number of times back in the day and they were great. 

The more often that we can get Sport Options and Wonky Sheep offering trips, the better. I can’t reasonably get away for more than 2 nights at a time which becomes restrictive for trying to get flights. Direct flights with charter companies will always be a massive bonus. 

Like Squirrelhumper says - the wonkysheep pricing for euros package seems very reasonable. 

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I have to admit, i thought the Wonky Sheep 3 game trip was very reasonably priced. 

I agree. We organised ourselves and will probably only be marginally cheaper than their quoted price. For us it would have been a bit of a gamble waiting for their package, but certainly looks like a great deal for anyone who has not booked up yet!

And no, I'm not on commission!

I was over the moon with that price from wonky. For other reasons we couldn’t book at the t8me of the draw and I’d spent hours looking at routes via here and there plus hotels in and out of cities and it was looking a pricey trip! After many one stop trips this year we were fed up doing that so this direct flight deal is amazing. 

Only been with Wonky Sheep once to Moldova and it was excellent. I heard nothing bad from those on the Sport Options trip to Moldova to be fair and it's great to have 2 charter companies providing this service as there really was a huge gap after Passport Travel ceased to be. I'm on the 11 day trip with Wonky Sheep because I am confident in them and it's cheaper than I could do it myself and that is actually something new.

Only ever used one for Faroes back in 2002 when one did 3 nights out of Aberdeen.

Served its purpose at the time, but now so much cheaper and easier to do it myself (granted I know a lot of people like others to do all the work and charters suit them).

14 hours ago, rOsCo2 said:

I agree. We organised ourselves and will probably only be marginally cheaper than their quoted price. For us it would have been a bit of a gamble waiting for their package, but certainly looks like a great deal for anyone who has not booked up yet!

And no, I'm not on commission!

As charter companies go Wonky Sheep are not too bad regarding prices but at £1600 still nearly twice the price of our 12 day trip that we put together. Only real difference is the outbound flight to Munich which we are doing via London. We booked it after the draw so didn't get it booked before the rush. 

Just booked up for Wonky Sheep, £1620 a good price considering you are in each host city for a few days. Looking for advice on getting to Cologne from Munich on 17th and Stuttgart from Cologne on 21st, I assume ICE would be the most convenient, I think the ICE tickets are on sale very soon, is this correct and travelling on those dates being match ticket holders is there any free/cheaper that we can get or is it very little difference in price, any advice “TA West Germany” or others greatly appreciated, cheers.

1 hour ago, Broath Boy said:

Just booked up for Wonky Sheep, £1620 a good price considering you are in each host city for a few days. Looking for advice on getting to Cologne from Munich on 17th and Stuttgart from Cologne on 21st, I assume ICE would be the most convenient, I think the ICE tickets are on sale very soon, is this correct and travelling on those dates being match ticket holders is there any free/cheaper that we can get or is it very little difference in price, any advice “TA West Germany” or others greatly appreciated, cheers.

Yes. Wonky sheep not stupidly expensive or anything but as i said in an earlier post we got booked up with 4 days in each of the match cities for less than half that price. Only real difference is we are going to Munich via London. Everything else is very similar to the Wonky Sheep trip. As for the journey between Munich and Cologne and then Cologne and Stuttgart it will be the train with two 29 euro tickets which go on sale on 17th January. Hopefully anyway. 

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

Yes. Wonky sheep not stupidly expensive or anything but as i said in an earlier post we got booked up with 4 days in each of the match cities for less than half that price. Only real difference is we are going to Munich via London. Everything else is very similar to the Wonky Sheep trip. As for the journey between Munich and Cologne and then Cologne and Stuttgart it will be the train with two 29 euro tickets which go on sale on 17th January. Hopefully anyway. 

No other option than ICE but should be cheap if you book early enough 

6 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

My understanding is that the cheap match ticket holder train tickets are for matchdays that you will be attending. Seeing as Scotland are playing in Cologne on the 19th and you want to travel on the 17th then you won't be eligible for these. Same goes for your travel from Cologne to Stuttgart as different day from matchday, unless I am mistaken and others wish to advise? 

11 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

My understanding is that the cheap match ticket holder train tickets are for matchdays that you will be attending. Seeing as Scotland are playing in Cologne on the 19th and you want to travel on the 17th then you won't be eligible for these. Same goes for your travel from Cologne to Stuttgart as different day from matchday, unless I am mistaken and others wish to advise? 

The cheap db euro train tickets can be used on any day between 14th June and 14th July. The free 36 hour pass is the one that can only be used in the 36 hours inclusive of matchday. 

It was £500 to go to France 98 on a Double Decker, staying in motels "near" Paris, Bordeaux & St Etienne

The Bus took us everywhere including to the opening game at St Denis and the final game in St Etienne - didn't need it in Bordeaux as we were only a short taxi ride to the centre of town where you could walk to the stadium

Going by inflation £500 in 1998 is £1000 today

Just putting the £1600 for Wonky Sheep into perspective - not bad as you are flying

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 5:03 PM, Broath Boy said:

6 of us from Dundee booked on it too. We booked our trains last week there. Did you get trains sorted?