Mcgeady And Mccarthy - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcgeady And Mccarthy

Irishandproud

I was so gutted for ye at the end of that campaign - ye deserved to Qualify

That was the group where ye had france, italy and ukraine and mcleish was yere manager???

We played Wales in Cardiff in our final game in that campaign and i remember leaving the millenium stadium , getting to the pub and catching yere final group game at home to italy ( i think) - if i recall Italy scored late in the Game , which stopped ye from qualifying?

Remember seeing Mcleish just standing on the touchline in shock along with everyone else in hampden

Very Very Unlucky not to have made it that campaign

It was an absolutely incredible campaign. The celebrations when Ferguson scored against Italy were just out of this world. It was heartbreaking when the final whistle went in that game.

My Dad was absolutely gutted because he'd have loved to have seen his old neighbour and childhood friend, Alex McLeish, take Scotland to a tournament.

On a broader note it was actually more depressing seeing the same Scotland team go on a dramatic downward spiral after McLeish left and Burley came in. That's another (very complex) story !

I know you guys will know just how we felt after that Italy game, when your play off against France came around.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Georgia game was classic Scotland

win needed against team containing debut 17 yr old keeper, another 18 yr old debutant and another player who was without a club

please more professional this time round, need win nxt month to even set up chance

For me the combined Ireland/Scotland team is

Marshall

Coleman M.Wilson O'Shea Robertson

Brown McCarthy

Snoddgrass S.Long McGeady

S.Fletcher

I went for Fletcher over Keane for one reason his hold up and link play, Keane will score more but S.Fletcher with those 3 behind him would create a lot of space for them by dragging defenders out of position, then holding up the ball for those 3 to exploit the space.

I went for Long over Naismith as I feel he offers the same movement and work rate but is a better finisher.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

A few Celtic fans I know saying "they hope the get booed and that's all" in a sinister manner. I.e. No sectarian abuse.

We all know that Scotland fans are non sectarian but let's be honest the OF diehards and the media love trying to pin sectarian or racist offences on other clubs fans. I always think it is classic whataboutery and a means tool most justify what happens between Rangers and Celtic.

My own club has been involved in two relatively recent incidents regarding jason Scotland (which was two bam pots that got sorted by the fans around them and arrested) and the mark McGhee abuse at pittodrie that was allegedly sectarian (but was not)

Although both these incidents were not clever in any way they pale into insignificance when you see a typical old firm game.

So my point is. We must make sure that all people involved with Scotland do not give these bunny rabbits a chance to label us a s sectarian.

McCarthy and mcgeady to me symbolise everything that is wrong with some old firm fans but we shouldn't make these guys a sideshow. Fair enough boo them but we need to make sure nobody takes it further. There is potential for a few non regulars to be going to this game so we need to self police this and avoid the tartan army's reputation being tarnished by idiots.

A few Celtic fans I know saying "they hope the get booed and that's all" in a sinister manner. I.e. No sectarian abuse.

We all know that Scotland fans are non sectarian but let's be honest the OF diehards and the media love trying to pin sectarian or racist offences on other clubs fans. I always think it is classic whataboutery and a means tool most justify what happens between Rangers and Celtic.

My own club has been involved in two relatively recent incidents regarding jason Scotland (which was two bam pots that got sorted by the fans around them and arrested) and the mark McGhee abuse at pittodrie that was allegedly sectarian (but was not)

Although both these incidents were not clever in any way they pale into insignificance when you see a typical old firm game.

So my point is. We must make sure that all people involved with Scotland do not give these bunny rabbits a chance to label us a s sectarian.

McCarthy and mcgeady to me symbolise everything that is wrong with some old firm fans but we shouldn't make these guys a sideshow. Fair enough boo them but we need to make sure nobody takes it further. There is potential for a few non regulars to be going to this game so we need to self police this and avoid the tartan army's reputation being tarnished by idiots.

gees a f*ckin break

Not fussed on club football being honest, why you ask?

Just that you come on here and slate the SPL and seem to know a fair bit about players in the EPL for someone who is "not fussed on club football". You see I suspect that you have an allegiance to an English team like 90% of all Irish football fans, and that is the problem in with the league of Ireland. If you weren't too busy supporting foreign teams rather than supporting your local clubs your league might actually improve. Its an interesting paradox that the Irish are so patriotic and Irishandproud yet you choose to support Foreign teams, especially from a country you have a bit of history with.

Just that you come on here and slate the SPL and seem to know a fair bit about players in the EPL for someone who is "not fussed on club football". You see I suspect that you have an allegiance to an English team like 90% of all Irish football fans, and that is the problem in with the league of Ireland. If you weren't too busy supporting foreign teams rather than supporting your local clubs your league might actually improve. Its an interesting paradox that the Irish are so patriotic and Irishandproud yet you choose to support Foreign teams, especially from a country you have a bit of history with.

Massive assumptions there fella

I know more about the EPL players than I do about SPL players but I most certainly dont support ANY team outside Ireland

No disrespect to the SPL but of course people are going to know more about EPL because its a higher profile league with higher profile and better players

Add in the fact that the EPL is advertised more and more corporate than the SPL

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Massive assumptions there fella

I know more about the EPL players than I do about SPL players but I most certainly dont support ANY team outside Ireland

No disrespect to the SPL but of course people are going to know more about EPL because its a higher profile league with higher profile and better players

Add in the fact that the EPL is advertised more and more corporate than the SPL

Not assumptions at all, I happen to live in Ireland and have done for the past 15 years so these are genuine observations and when Man U or Liverpoool are playing on Sky you can barely get into a pub, there's even a large Leeds following. I personally know lads who head over to Old Trafford and Anfield on a regular basis you surely cant deny that?.

Not assumptions at all, I happen to live in Ireland and have done for the past 15 years so these are genuine observations and when Man U or Liverpoool are playing on Sky you can barely get into a pub, there's even a large Leeds following. I personally know lads who head over to Old Trafford and Anfield on a regular basis you surely cant deny that?.

Im not denying that at all fella nor did i say that wasnt true

But you assumed IrishandProud had an allegiance to an english club despite him saying he did not

I know loads about players in Seria A. La Liga and the Bundesliga....Why? Because they are better leagues than the SPL with better players and more corporate......but like the EPL i have no allegiance with anyone of their clubs

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Im not denying that at all fella nor did i say that wasnt true

But you assumed IrishandProud had an allegiance to an english club despite him saying he did not

I know sh*t loads about players in Seria A. La Liga and the Bundesliga....Why? Because they are better leagues than the SPL with better players and more corporate......but like the EPL i have no allegiance with anyone of their clubs

Ye that's fair enough. Ill take his word for it, but my point was valid surely it must be frustrating to see people paying for planes and ferries to watch overseas teams at exorbitant prices when that money could potentially make your own domestic league stronger?

And on the point of Brown v McCarthy I would have Brown at this moment in time, he has finally started to fullfill his potential and is a real driving force and leader now, McCarthy has undoubted ability and will eventually get there but iv'e never seen him dominate a game or take it by the scruff of the neck. But we can only wait and see.

Am very glad I am not a pub goer for these EPL games when they are on, sickens me in the pub listening to absolute horse shit being thrown across the bar.

Like GTR I know plenty of players in the high profile leagues around Europe, I would nearly watch any football really and when celtic played Rangers down through the years I would always watch it, other than that I wouldn't throw on any other game from that league.

Good post