Bars Tips Meeting Points etc - Norway v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bars Tips Meeting Points etc

GaryWood34

Meeting points for Scotland fans having a drink / party? 

Good bars / areas / streets?

Nightlife?

Any main things I should be seeing in Oslo?

Don’t get away with Scotland as much as I’d like but booked well for this one so starting the build up. 

flights Edin - Oslo direct - £140

nice hotel for 3 nights - £140

ticket - £40

Edited by GaryWood34
Spelling

1 minute ago, GaryWood34 said:

Nightlife?

Don’t get away with Scotland as much as I’d like but booked well for this one so starting the build up. 

ticket - £40

What airline did you get booked on from Edinburgh? I had booked originally from Edinburgh with SAS but they cancelled the flights and i couldn't find anymore from Edinburgh so had to go via London. 

3 minutes ago, thesaint said:

What airline did you get booked on from Edinburgh? I had booked originally from Edinburgh with SAS but they cancelled the flights and i couldn't find anymore from Edinburgh so had to go via London. 

Norwegian mate 

out 16/06 and back 19/06

Honestly this won't likely be a trip for pub crawls etc at £10-12 a pint over there.

Looking to rely on duty free and carry out. Hopefully a few unofficial fan zones popping up at main squares or certal parks (Slotssparken maybe). There could be one or two pub owners savvy enough to put drinks deals on and get people through the door. But we'll wait to hear about that I suppose. We're directly across from Dubliner Irish pub who might be keen to take advantage.

I visited Oslo once before and never thought much of it really. It does have its landmarks, main cathedral, Royal Palace etc. Some nice scenery if you can get up the hills to the outskirts. It's not the most lively place.

Main focal point will be Studenterlunden, which is a big park that runs through the city centre.

Pubs.... for previous games Andy's Pub has always been pretty lively, and Bohemian is also not to bad.... but both will most likely be packed!

3 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Nightlife?

ticket - £40

Is that £140 return? Looking at their site now the best on offer is about £175 outwards and another £175 return. 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Main focal point will be Studenterlunden, which is a big park that runs through the city centre.

Pubs.... for previous games Andy's Pub has always been pretty lively, and Bohemian is also not to bad.... but both will most likely be packed!

Wonder if Skeid will have another game at the Bislett stadium , my t shirt is getting a bit scabby . Pub was La Boheme I think 

37 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Yeh it’s return. I did book it in October last year however 

You got a good price there. I booked with sas around the same time and as i said they cancelled. Tried at the time to book from Edinburgh but couldn't find anything at the time. Booked from London. Not too much dearer than yours but a bit more hassle with waiting for connecting flights etc. Still. Looking forward to the trip. 

14 hours ago, tattiescone69 said:

Wonder if Skeid will have another game at the Bislett stadium , my t shirt is getting a bit scabby . Pub was La Boheme I think 

That would be pretty cool.

Shame Arild Stavrum no longer manager, so no chance of him randomly walking in to the pub before the game and getting swamped by all the Aberdeen fans.

Good website for bars, clubs, restaurants, museums, etc... https://www.visitoslo.com/en/

Karl Johans Gate is the main drag and includes the https://scotsman.no/ pub. They have a staggering number of beers.

https://www.bohemen.no/ is a full-on shrine to the beautiful game. 

Last time I was in Oslo, there were some cheaper pubs on the road running down the north side of the train station.

Daytime? Last time I was there, I visited the Football Museum at the stadium; the Resistance Museum and the Edvard Munch Museum.

We found a pub called the Destiny Cafe back in '09 serving pints for prices equivalent to that in Glasgow. Sadly a quick Google suggests that the place has closed down but there's definitely places where you can drink that aren't wildly expensive - and I for one look forward to trying to find them... 😂

Most expensive boozers are around Karl Johan Gate and Aker Brygge. The price of 100 NOK is around £7.80 as exchange rate is around £1 = 12.7 NOK. Prices are around 80 m NOK to 120 NOK. Pubs around Grønland and Grünerløkka about 5 - 15 mins from Sentrum/Rail Station can be cheaper. Indoor street food can be found at Torgatta (Sentrum)  and Vippa (Harbour) - lots of cheaper eateries and beer is sold. I've never been back to the Scotsman Pub in Karl Johann since they banned a piper 20 years ago, it's a fairly shitey pub anyway.  Dovrehallen (upstairs) is very old Norwegian and Cafe Sara has great beer selection as does nearby Crow bar and Schouss Brewery. The 'browner' the pub, the cheaper the price. Also the boozer upstairs in the main hall of the rail station is pretty good. Best futba pub is Bohemen. Some good pubs in the city of Drammen which is about 30 minutes by a regular train service - Drammen home to Stromgodset FC. 

If you are looking for something to keep you out the pub for a couple of hours, you could do worse than take a tram ride out to Vigelin Park. Its famous for its sculptures that line the various boulevards that run towards its centrepoint, which is the massive "Survival of the Fittest" sculpture. Its quite cool if you like that sort of thing. If the weathers good, take a carry out with you!

Edited by Judith

16 hours ago, Judith said:

If you are looking for something to keep you out the pub for a couple of hours, you could do worse than take a tram ride out to Vigelin Park. Its famous for its sculptures that line the various boulevards that run towards its centrepoint, which is the massive "Survival of the Fittest" sculpture. Its quite cool if you like that sort of thing. If the weathers good, take a carry out with you!

Sounds good to me, also hear the Viking Museum's worth a visit! 

18 hours ago, Judith said:

Yeah, very much worth catching and great to walk around all day if the weather is good. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Sounds good to me, also hear the Viking Museum's worth a visit! 

Closed until 2026 for refurbishments. We went for the last game and was very much worth doing, and getting the boat from the city out to it.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Closed until 2026 for refurbishments. We went for the last game and was very much worth doing, and getting the boat from the city out to it.

Kon Tiki is well worth a visit , Fram museum meant to be good too , might do it this time since the viking one is shut 

From memory Andy's Bar was mobbed night before and day of the game in 2005. 

I've tried to block 2009 out of my head, think i just kicked about local bars during the day with the locals. 

Went to a festival day after the game in 2009 and saw the Arctic Monkeys and Glasvegas. Rescued the trip after that shitshow the night before. 

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

FFS!!! 🤬 

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

From memory Andy's Bar was mobbed night before and day of the game in 2005. 

I've tried to block 2009 out of my head, think i just kicked about local bars during the day with the locals. 

Went to a festival day after the game in 2009 and saw the Arctic Monkeys and Glasvegas. Rescued the trip after that shitshow the night before. 

We bumped into Glasvegas walking along the main drag near the grand hotel in 2009