Indyref 2 (2) - Page 181 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

Scotland is being over run by English who move north of the border to retire or claim benefits,,, the last five years there has been a noticeable increase to non contributive English moving here, something needs done about it, we already have a ageing population without the influx, those retirees are forcing out locals who can’t afford housing due to the artificial house prices these settlers have created. I am done tip towing around the subject, it’s a disgrace, these folk who don’t give a shit about Scotland will have a say in a future referendum if we ever get one, this to me is madness 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Scotland is being over run by English who move north of the border to retire or claim benefits,,, the last five years there has been a noticeable increase to non contributive English moving here, something needs done about it, we already have a ageing population without the influx, those retirees are forcing out locals who can’t afford housing due to the artificial house prices these settlers have created. I am done tip towing around the subject, it’s a disgrace, these folk who don’t give a shit about Scotland will have a say in a future referendum if we ever get one, this to me is madness 

We wont know for sure how the demographics have changed from 2011 until Spring 2024

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Pretty racist and xenophobic post there.  If you replaced the word “English” with “Muslim” it would be word for word out the UKIP playbook.

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Send them to Rwanda. 😂 Stop the OAP coach tours. 😂

29 minutes ago, aaid said:

Pretty racist and xenophobic post there.  If you replaced the word “English” with “Muslim” it would be word for word out the UKIP playbook.

Away and don't talk pish

Why do you think Wales voted for Brexit ?  20% of the Welsh population is English - that's why and is the point that HL is alluding to

In Scotland the English demographic is just under 9% but was rising slowly based on the 2011 Census results - and we will need to wait until Spring 2024 to see what the changes are

As for the 2014 referendum;

The third strongest correlation of the observed variables was between the proportion of the population born in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and the ‘Yes’ vote. Areas with a high proportion of people born elsewhere in the UK demonstrated the weakest support for ‘Yes’. In the case of the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway – the two LAs that share a border with England – this seems fairly intuitive. One might expect a higher concentration of people born elsewhere in the UK in these areas due to the close proximity to England, as well as a stronger desire to remain within the UK due to the social and economic ties such proximity brings. Interestingly, it is the urban areas in the centre of the country that have the lowest share of English, Welsh or Northern Irish and the highest support for ‘Yes’. Even in those central areas where a majority voted for ‘No’ such as North and East Ayrshire, the result was closer than the average (a difference of 2 and 5 points, respectively).

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Away and don't talk pish

Why do you think Wales voted for Brexit ?  20% of the Welsh population is English - that's why and is the point that HL is alluding to

In Scotland the English demographic is just under 9% but was rising slowly based on the 2011 Census results - and we will need to wait until Spring 2024 to see what the changes are

The third strongest correlation of the observed variables was between the proportion of the population born in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and the ‘Yes’ vote. Areas with a high proportion of people born elsewhere in the UK demonstrated the weakest support for ‘Yes’. In the case of the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway – the two LAs that share a border with England – this seems fairly intuitive. One might expect a higher concentration of people born elsewhere in the UK in these areas due to the close proximity to England, as well as a stronger desire to remain within the UK due to the social and economic ties such proximity brings. Interestingly, it is the urban areas in the centre of the country that have the lowest share of English, Welsh or Northern Irish and the highest support for ‘Yes’. Even in those central areas where a majority voted for ‘No’ such as North and East Ayrshire, the result was closer than the average (a difference of 2 and 5 points, respectively).

Stop trying to justify it with even more xenophobic nonsense.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Stop trying to justify it with even more xenophobic nonsense.

Is this today's SNP ?

Cold hard facts = xenophobia ?

Keep digging that hole though

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/22/english-people-wales-brexit-research

The question of why Wales voted to leave the EU can in large part be answered by the number of English retired people who have moved across the border, research has found.

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Away and don't talk pish

A family members issues crisis grants, they have been told by various claimants that they were encouraged to move north of the border for better benifits

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Is this today's SNP ?

Cold hard facts = xenophobia ?

Keep digging that hole though

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/22/english-people-wales-brexit-research

The question of why Wales voted to leave the EU can in large part be answered by the number of English retired people who have moved across the border, research has found.

You've got a statistical basis for your xenophobia then.

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Settler Watch then is it.   What is the something you would want to be done.  Expel all the English? An unpleasant environment?  Ethnic cleansing?

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

You've got a statistical basis for your xenophobia then.

Aye the Guardian is well known for publishing xenophobic pieces

How the fuck do facts or indeed the academics that publish them become xenophobic anyway ? 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Settler Watch then is it.   What is the something you would want to be done.  Expel all the English? An unpleasant environment?  Ethnic cleansing?

Or possibly stop the encouragement of non contributive citizens moving north of the border, that would start. I wouldn’t expect you to understand 

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Or possibly stop the encouragement of non contributive citizens moving north of the border, that would start. I wouldn’t expect you to understand 

I understand fine, it's blood and soil nationalism as simple as.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think that's taking it a bit far.  Pointing out that a lot of people move here from England is just stating the facts.  Why they would want to come here if they oppose indy is hard to understand.  Though quite a few do seem to support indy - the enlightened ones.

6 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I think that's taking it a bit far.  Pointing out that a lot of people move here from England is just stating the facts.  Why they would want to come here if they oppose indy is hard to understand.  Though quite a few do seem to support indy - the enlightened ones.

Go and look at what Settler Watch and Siol Nan Gaidheal were saying in the 1980s and 1990s - you're old enough to remember them.   It's not a million miles away from what he's saying here.

43 minutes ago, aaid said:

No it’s nationalism, if independence is to be achieved we can’t have 20% of our population who can vote be English, and non contributive at that which is another issue altogether. I want independence, it’s apparent you don’t 

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

No it’s nationalism, if independence is to be achieved we can’t have 20% of our population who can vote be English, and non contributive at that which is another issue altogether. I want independence, it’s apparent you don’t 

Putting everything else above to one side for a minute, I've thought that for some time

I counted 3 occasions where he was asked outright whether he wanted independence, and he failed to answer any of them

Over to you @aaid

13 minutes ago, Redz said:

Putting everything else above to one side for a minute, I've thought that for some time

I counted 3 occasions where he was asked outright whether he wanted independence, and he failed to answer any of them

Over to you @aaid

You've thought for some time that I don't want independence?

If you think that then you are wrong.

The UK did not let people from other parts of the union they were wanting to leave vote.( No EU citizens allowed to vote in EU referendum)

Scotland allowed people from other parts of the union we wanted to leave vote in 2015.

Both votes would have gone the other way if either side had followed the rules of the other referendum.

People from other parts of the UK swayed the vote to a NO.

I think we would have had to allow Scots living in other parts of the union to vote , if we had taken the 2016 criteria,I have no idea of the voting intentions of those people, Scots born but living elsewhere in the UK.

I suspect they would be mostly NO leaning.

Edited by stocky

7 hours ago, stocky said:

The UK did not let people from other parts of the union they were wanting to leave vote.( No EU citizens allowed to vote in EU referendum)

Scotland allowed people from other parts of the union we wanted to leave vote in 2015.

Both votes would have gone the other way if either side had followed the rules of the other referendum.

People from other parts of the UK swayed the vote to a NO.

I think we would have had to allow Scots living in other parts of the union to vote , if we had taken the 2016 criteria,I have no idea of the voting intentions of those people, Scots born but living elsewhere in the UK.

I suspect they would be mostly NO leaning.

If there is a next referendum only scots and eu citizens can vote, no Welsh, English or norn Irish. 

That would really piss off unionists