Indyref 2 (2) - Page 136 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

9 hours ago, aaid said:

The liberals having a bad night = the liberals losing one seat and going from five seats to four.  That’s really stretching it as far as a prediction is concerned.  The liberals going from being irrelevant to being totally irrelevant more likely.

Mystic Loon, the man who always gets his predictions right.  

correct

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/8/2023 at 12:07 AM, scotlad said:

She sure is, but even she shouldn't be out of her depth against that dense cunt Anas Sarwar.

Also, isn't Lord Offord the Billy-Connolly-lookalike with the "Scotland is shite and I've got the numbers to prove it" patter?  Chuck in India Willoughby and that's quite the panel you've got there.

2 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Also, isn't Lord Offord the Billy-Connolly-lookalike with the "Scotland is shite and I've got the numbers to prove it" patter?  Chuck in India Willoughby and that's quite the panel you've got there.

Angela Haggerty (who the Protestants hate) has been replaced by India Willoughby (who the gender critical hate) as the go to Indy face to "balance the programme up" 

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Angela Haggerty (who the Protestants hate) has been replaced by India Willoughby (who the gender critical hate) as the go to Indy face to "balance the programme up" 

Thanks Ally! Actually I just listened to the show and, with your comment, it now makes sense.
I was suprised when Willoughby came out with pro-Independence noises during the show. (Didn't come across as being particularly well-informed about any of the issues discussed if I was to be honest, but the studio audience seemed to like what they heard).
Incidentally, Fiona Hyslop came across very well. (Head and shoulders above the others: e.g. Lord Offord relied solely on rattling off percentages to 'win' his argument. Anas Sarwar, on the other hand was tying himself in knots trying not to be seen to agree with anything Hyslop said--e.g. regarding Scottish Drug deaths, although he clearly agreed with her about fundamental drugs problems specific to Scotland.).

A good listen if you're really bored.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:21 AM, Ally Bongo said:

i am protestant (actually atheist but brought up protestant)  and like Angela Haggerty.   Follow her on twitter and seems switched on and compassionate, even though I disagree with some of her views.

41 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

slowly all the independence driven politicians are being ushered out of the party 

yes, looks a bit like that 😐

Incidentally, the word 'usher' always makes me think of this film (in this case, appropriately?):

"For centuries these walls have known foul thoughts and deeds!"

image.thumb.png.b5d58397b6935ca335f383c32a62c493.png

Don’t the middle class vote for whoever the Toriest party is that will serve theirs and not societal needs ?

only joking. I consider myself a middle class dosser. Doing very nicely, thanks very much, regardless of whichever temporary regime are doing the bidding of ‘them’.

I don’t hate the SNP . Simply accept that as a vehicle to Independence it’s about as likely as the Labour Party abolishing the House of Lords. As was their purpose a century ago. 
Still have a pal who’s an elected Labour Councillor and not at all like Sir Starmer and his Tory lite parliamentary Labour. Subversion never has to be absolutely. This way we already are being prepared for Labour as the next UK government. They’ll likely achieve an election landslide with mebbies more than 40% of those arsed to vote in England.

the SNP have completely lost their way with these far left policies.  It’s the pensioners I feel sorry for, often in bungalows who will be looking at £400 a month for their council tax.  And for what?  Shit roads, blocked drains, a social care service on its knees.  Meanwhile the councils spend money on low traffic neighbourhoods.  

8 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Band E and above. Bonkers. 

The proposed increases for bands E to H are ridiculous.  I could maybe understand increases to take account of inflation but they're taking the piss with this proposal.

38 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The proposed increases for bands E to H are ridiculous.  I could maybe understand increases to take account of inflation but they're taking the piss with this proposal.

No doubt have the apologists along shortly to defend them. 

Council tax is an incredibly outdated way to tax people anyway. These changes are utterly lunacy. 

Wouldn't mind if you actually saw the benefit but state of the streets, lack of cleansing etc is depressing.

lets break everything down under the sturgeon regime and lets see if anyone can tell me with conviction that she wanted independence 

1. nullifies one main argument for independence when coming out against the oil and gas industry.

2. rumored stitch up of the the most effective independence advocate ever.

3. Chases a vote losing GRR reform bill and hides membership loses 

4.fills the party with GRR advocates and isolates anyone who speaks out against it.

5. isolates all the costal communities in Scotland with HMPA'S proposals

6. increases taxes in middle to higher earners 

7. Pushes juryless court cases 

8. Bottle return scheme debacle

9. ferries debacle on the clyde (again turning island communities against the snp)

10. A9 cancelation(or massive delay

11. doing everything possible to have humza elected as party leader.

12. Taking the uk goverment to court regarding independence.

the destroyer of independence 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No doubt have the apologists along shortly to defend them. 

Council tax is an incredibly outdated way to tax people anyway. These changes are utterly lunacy. 

Wouldn't mind if you actually saw the benefit but state of the streets, lack of cleansing etc is depressing.

I was back up the road last month and happened to see my mother’s Council tax bill.  I’ve no idea what band she’s in, or what I’m in but I’d say they’re roughly the same size, hers is probably a bit bigger, and she was paying a bit less a month than I am.  

However, you then take into account that our council proudly proclaims they’ve the lowest council tax in England outside London - and has the service levels and is teetering on bankruptcy that goes with it.   I also have to pay water rates separately which for me is another £120 for metered water so the water company’s shareholders can get dividends for dumping my shites in the river.

We have all the same issues, food banks, potholes, bins, etc.  One thing I did notice though was the number of East Ayrshire vehicles kicking around the place doing things.  You don’t see that so much down here, primarily because services are outsourced rather that in-house and also, a lot of those were for carers and of course you don’t get free personal care in England.

You’re right, Council Tax is an outdated way of dealing with council funding, I can’t see any better way of doing it though and whenever people raise reform people complain because it will cost more.  

27 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

lets break everything down under the sturgeon regime and lets see if anyone can tell me with conviction that she wanted independence 

1. nullifies one main argument for independence when coming out against the oil and gas industry.

4.fills the party with GRR advocates and isolates anyone who speaks out against it.

9. ferries debacle on the clyde (again turning island communities against the snp)

the destroyer of independence 

You really are the definition of a Tartan Tory aren’t you.  

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

you really are the definition of peter murrell 

I suppose that’s better that Anne Blackford.   At least we’re the same sex, of similar age and have a similar hairstyle. 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

There's maybe a case for adding:
13. Highly Protected Marine Areas  Okay, the plan was cancelled. But not before angering voters in areas with what's left of a post-Brexit fishing industry?

I'm no political strategist, but I think there might be work needing to be done to re-motivate the Scottish electorate?

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

I must be reading this wrong. From what I can see, they are suggesting band E would go up by 7.5%. That's less than inflation. Can't be right, is it?

7 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

There's maybe a case for adding:
13. Highly Protected Marine Areas  Okay, the plan was cancelled. But not before angering voters in areas with what's left of a post-Brexit fishing industry?

I'm no political strategist, but I think there might be work needing to be done to re-motivate the Scottish electorate?

ooops, sorry Hampden Loon, you had HPMA covered by item 5.  👍 As you were.

39 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I must be reading this wrong. From what I can see, they are suggesting band E would go up by 7.5%. That's less than inflation. Can't be right, is it?

Let’s not forget that bands E to H are also subject to exemptions that means an old grannie living alone in the old family home will already have a discount.