We Need To Go To A Back 4 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We Need To Go To A Back 4

Guest Scot1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Fantastic performance last night...

The shift to back 4 line of defenders (4-2-3-1 formation) made a big difference. Against Ukraine in the play off we went 5-3-2 and got swamped in the midfield.  Last night the extra midfielder made a huge difference (McGregor and McTominay were superb anchors). 

Interestingly the back 5 only seems to work with Tierney available. 
My theory is that he is smart enough to know when to step up into midfield as an extra man. 
Some big decisions for Steve Clarke - especially when Robertson returns!

I think i would play tierney left midfield or wing and put robbo at left back. Robertson takes alot of stick but personally i think hes been pretty good under clarke and ppls expectations on him are unrealistic because of who he plays for.

13 hours ago, runningtings said:

If Tierney is available he has to play at LB. Similar issue has developed at RB though, Hickey has been superb in these last games and is surely only going to get better.

I don’t think we can assume Hickey will be first choice RB just yet. Clarke started Patterson ahead of him last Wednesday remember.

What if Hickey is injured next March and Patterson is superb in our games then? 

It’s great that we have two talented RBs but I think it’s a bit early to choose one over the other just yet based on 2 and a bit games. 

I just hope Clarke doesn’t do anything unnecessary to try and shoehorn them into the same team. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Yes that's what I am saying, surely the big takeaway from these games is that we can do without one or both of Robertson and Tierney and still perform?

Therefore, we don't need to shoehorn them both in; I would go Tierney and Hickey at the moment though you are spot on, that could totally change.

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

It's hilarious that we have, all of a sudden, an embarrassment of riches across most of the park and were getting headaches, who's best to play🤣. Still need a couple of forward players and a back up to Gordon.

A top drawer centre back wouldnt go amiss either.

I know Hendry and McKenna did well this time around but can we rely on that to continue?

Can Porteous be that guy? I had the fear about him before Tuesday night, but he had a very good game....

Edited by Judith

1 minute ago, Judith said:

A top drawer centre back wouldnt go amiss either.

I know Hendry and McKenna did well this time around but can we rely on that to continue?

Can Porteous be that guy? I had the fear about him before Tuesday night, but he had a very good game....

I am hopeful that we can rely on McKenna and Hendry (and possibly Souttar or Porteus) to keep the defence fairly stable and allow us to get to the euros in Germany. 

If we are going to step up to the next level and get to the second round of the euros or qualify for a world cup then we are likely to need a better centre half but you could say that about a few positions. 

Our options at centre half are far better now than they were even a year ago though. I used to get the fear looking at our central defence every time a line up was announced but that didn’t happen this time (for the first 2 games anyway) even with all the call offs. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I am hopeful that we can rely on McKenna and Hendry (and possibly Souttar or Porteus) to keep the defence fairly stable and allow us to get to the euros in Germany. 

If we are going to step up to the next level and get to the second round of the euros or qualify for a world cup then we are likely to need a better centre half but you could say that about a few positions. 

Our options at centre half are far better now than they were even a year ago though. I used to get the fear looking at our central defence every time a line up was announced but that didn’t happen this time (for the first 2 games anyway) even with all the call offs. 

A fit Souttar would definitely add to the mix. Here's hoping he can break his injury hoodoo......