Foreign football - Page 25 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Foreign football

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Why do you think that? 

I support a non league team in England so I'm coming from that side. A replay against a championship or EPL side for a non league, league two or one side could be a once in a lifetime event and that's before we discuss the financial reasons.

A good model for the cup would be copying Germany where the lower ranked club in most rounds when the draw is made can give up home advantage for safety,financial gain. Say Basingstoke were to draw Southampton, Winklebury is no where near good enough to accommodate that fixture, Basingstoke could switch to St Mary's and still be classed as the home team in the draw.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Clootie Dumpling said:

A good model for the cup would be copying Germany where the lower ranked club in most rounds when the draw is made can give up home advantage for safety,financial gain. Say Basingstoke were to draw Southampton, Winklebury is no where near good enough to accommodate that fixture, Basingstoke could switch to St Mary's and still be classed as the home team in the draw.

its not a bad idea but still wouldn;t be ideal

Caving to the demands of the rich clubs is a bad road to head down, they have huge squads to cope with the demands of all competitions and they seem quite happy to bugger off to the middle east, far east, the US, Aus etc top play friendlies. 

Destroying traditions to suit richer clubs is never a good idea, I'd be all for it if they were abandoning tradition in favour of something better but they aren't IMO. Woking and aldershot could easily hold a fixture against Southampton, imagine the feeling of a packed house and holding them to a draw and getting to play at St Mary's. That can't happen now

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Why do you think that? 

I support a non league team in England so I'm coming from that side. A replay against a championship or EPL side for a non league, league two or one side could be a once in a lifetime event and that's before we discuss the financial reasons.

I like the idea of a cup being drastically different to the league.

In the league, you can put things right the next week. I don't think you should be able to do that in a cup.

A cup is supposed to be a knock-out tournament and I think having "One chance... Just one chance" and taking it would be even more romantic; even more dramatic.

I understand what you mean about the financial rewards foe smaller clubs, but I think it should all be down to fate and the luck of the draw. This year it might at your place, but next year it might be Old Trafford. 

2 hours ago, Clootie Dumpling said:

I saw FC Kray (a team in Essen) play Rot-Weiss Essen. This was the same week Scotland last played in Dortmund.

Kray had somehow found themselves in the same league as Rot-Weiss and Kray were officially the home team, but the match was played a Rot-Weiss.

Kray smashed them 4-2

8 hours ago, dan cake said:

Harry Kane’s trophy drought continues 

Don't worry, the British media will be all over the sancho v Bellingham final.

It's great to see something as refreshing as Real Madrid getting to a CL final

48 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I see Sky are to screen 3pm kick offs as part of the new EFL contract. Starting in 2024/25 season. 

Just the first Saturday, 3pm Saturday blackout kicks back in again once the English Premier League starts.

51 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I see Sky are to screen 3pm kick offs as part of the new EFL contract. Starting in 2024/25 season. 

Just now, Goozay said:

Just the first Saturday, 3pm Saturday blackout kicks back in again once the English Premier League starts.

I am sure I read that Sky were looking to shift more EPL matches to Sundays to bypass the 3pm rule

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I am sure I read that Sky were looking to shift more EPL matches to Sundays to bypass the 3pm rule

Pretty sure the 3pm rule has only ever been for Saturdays, there is no 3pm Sunday rule to bypass.

8 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Pretty sure the 3pm rule has only ever been for Saturdays, there is no 3pm Sunday rule to bypass.

I know, I think you've misunderstood my post

Sky want to screen more matches on Sundays to bypass the Saturday 3pm rule 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I know, I think you've misunderstood my post

Sky want to screen more matches on Sundays to bypass the Saturday 3pm rule 

Aye, got you know.

It will be another pain in the arse for folk that actually go to the games, with fewer matches in the 3pm Saturday slot and an inconsistent fixture schedule. 

1 minute ago, Goozay said:

Aye, got you know.

It will be another pain in the arse for folk that actually go to the games, with fewer matches in the 3pm Saturday slot and an inconsistent fixture schedule. 

The clubs and to a certain extent the fans can't complain, they love being the richest league in the world but complain constantly about the fixtures. They can't have it both ways

Ohhhhhh Atalanta! What a season........

Fairly steady in Serie A - finishing 4th, 5th or 6th still possible. Final of the Coppa Italia. Europa League Final. Lifting a trophy would be absolutely magnificent although I know we are underdogs in both finals. But let's see what happens. Forza Atalanta!

On 5/10/2024 at 6:59 PM, morrie21 said:

Ohhhhhh Atalanta! What a season........

Fairly steady in Serie A - finishing 4th, 5th or 6th still possible. Final of the Coppa Italia. Europa League Final. Lifting a trophy would be absolutely magnificent although I know we are underdogs in both finals. But let's see what happens. Forza Atalanta!

If they win against Roma this weekend, they will have a very good chance of finishing the league in the top 4 when you see the recent form of Juventus who're currently at the 4th place.

On 5/12/2024 at 1:39 AM, Tazz said:

If they win against Roma this weekend, they will have a very good chance of finishing the league in the top 4 when you see the recent form of Juventus who're currently at the 4th place.

Atalanta got an important win against Roma to close the gap to 4 points with the 4th placed Juventus who've played one game extra.

Bologna have qualified for the CL. Lewis ferguson will be playing CL football next season......unless he's snapped up by a bigger club who didn't qualify...

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Bologna have qualified for the CL. Lewis ferguson will be playing CL football next season......unless he's snapped up by a bigger club who didn't qualify...

Don't think Rangers can afford him mate....

Just now, Fairbairn said:

Don't think Rangers can afford him mate....

😂

Surely he is so staunch he would take a pay cut? Remember mate, its every players dream to play at ibrox

42 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Only top flight English teams not to have played at the new Wembley. A stat which is pretty sad in terms of what used to be a once a year occasion has been destroyed as a day out. 

Can't argue with that.

On 5/13/2024 at 6:40 AM, vanderark14 said:

Bologna and Lewis Ferguson have had an excellent season. Such a shame Ferguson sustained that bad injury. Bologna boss Thiago Motta is this season's sought after manager. Potentially a deal has already been done for him to take over at Juventus when Allegri steps away at the end of this season, although nothing confirmed. For that reason alone though many of Bologna's best performing players, Ferguson included, are being linked to Juventus. Napoli are another club that I have heard linked with Ferguson although they are in turmoil and needing to appoint a permanent manager. Have heard it will be Conte but who knows.