The news thread - Page 221 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

40 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Agreed and too many so called Independence supporters on here say they hate the SNP so won’t vote for them and thus no Independence, I couldn’t give a fukk about what’s app or recycle schemes or campervans or Humza or blokes in wifeys jail, the ONLY tool to get Independence is vote SNP, if you don’t then you never really wanted Independence.

Every independence supporter should remind themselves what the alternative is to Independence - the status quo. That means Being ruled by another country, being treated as a junior partner in a so called union, having your resources plundered and assets stripped. Wha's like us indeed.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Every independence supporter should remind themselves what the alternative is to Independence - the status quo. That means Being ruled by another country, being treated as a junior partner in a so called union, having your resources plundered and assets stripped. Wha's like us indeed.

...or not even a status quo. Things could easily get worse, as they clearly have since 2014. That should be made very clear at every opportunity; this idea that Independence is the big risky mystery option when staying in the UK has little certainty either. They will tell us soon (and they will tell us, rather than ask) that there is no appetite for Independence. It will be too late by then once some have had a wee protest by voting Labour or not voting at all. 

I agree with more SNP policies than I disagree with. That would be the case with any party folk opt for. They will obviously have some dubious characters involved as that's the sad reality of any party, company, football club...any group of people. We do want to be better than Westminster re trust/competency etc but a lot of stuff is blown out of proportion so they can point an appalled finger at us.

I really don't know what's happened over the last 5 years or so re the ongoing 'scandals'. It all feels a bit contrived at times though. I try and listen to folk on here re SNP being infiltrated but it doesn't really make sense. An example was given re the British State & the IRA but that's totally different as not a political party where you're in the public/media eye making decisions and debating in public. Hardly ideal for a mole! I just think some of the SNP (inc Sturgeon) are just politically tired, going through the motions and haven't got much fight left because nobody is ever satisfied. 

I reckon Nicola Sturgeon was trying to get that crucial extra 10% for a comfortable lead before having another referendum. Initially by backing off the Independence stuff, especially around the pandemic and trying to win over previously soft Nos. The next approach was securing more young or Green policy type voters...both approaches have backfired as resulted in losing support/members for different reasons. This has maybe built a sense of despondency in the party fuelled by the UK govt's daily crass ineptitude somehow still being an advert for the Union. 

4 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

...or not even a status quo. Things could easily get worse, as they clearly have since 2014. That should be made very clear at every opportunity; this idea that Independence is the big risky mystery option when staying in the UK has little certainty either. They will tell us soon (and they will tell us, rather than ask) that there is no appetite for Independence. It will be too late by then once some have had a wee protest by voting Labour or not voting at all. 

I agree with more SNP policies than I disagree with. That would be the case with any party folk opt for. They will obviously have some dubious characters involved as that's the sad reality of any party, company, football club...any group of people. We do want to be better than Westminster re trust/competency etc but a lot of stuff is blown out of proportion so they can point an appalled finger at us.

I really don't know what's happened over the last 5 years or so re the ongoing 'scandals'. It all feels a bit contrived at times though. I try and listen to folk on here re SNP being infiltrated but it doesn't really make sense. An example was given re the British State & the IRA but that's totally different as not a political party where you're in the public/media eye making decisions and debating in public. Hardly ideal for a mole! I just think some of the SNP (inc Sturgeon) are just politically tired, going through the motions and haven't got much fight left because nobody is ever satisfied. 

I reckon Nicola Sturgeon was trying to get that crucial extra 10% for a comfortable lead before having another referendum. Initially by backing off the Independence stuff, especially around the pandemic and trying to win over previously soft Nos. The next approach was securing more young or Green policy type voters...both approaches have backfired as resulted in losing support/members for different reasons. This has maybe built a sense of despondency in the party fuelled by the UK govt's daily crass ineptitude somehow still being an advert for the Union. 

Very good post

The part in bold is a valid point, I believe the SNP got sucked into the whole 'show us you can govern' nonsense. Now they should be pointing towards the fact the BT campaign didn't deliver on a single thing, in fact they went back on everything they said would happen

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Very good post

The part in bold is a valid point, I believe the SNP got sucked into the whole 'show us you can govern' nonsense. Now they should be pointing towards the fact the BT campaign didn't deliver on a single thing, in fact they went back on everything they said would happen

Sorry that was such a long post but I'm crap at being concise...

The changing of the name to get rid of Nationalist connotations is another rope to tie themselves in knots. Unfortunately UKIP have nabbed the Independence bit and some already lump us in with them as narrow fringe nutters. 

Yes agree with highlighting Better Together's wide reaching failings, hardly hear anything about that even though not just hyperbole. 

On 1/20/2024 at 11:33 AM, Broath Boy said:

Agreed and too many so called Independence supporters on here say they hate the SNP so won’t vote for them and thus no Independence, I couldn’t give a fukk about what’s app or recycle schemes or campervans or Humza or blokes in wifeys jail, the ONLY tool to get Independence is vote SNP, if you don’t then you never really wanted Independence.

That's it in a nutshell.

It really should be that simple but folk like to complicate things for their own agenda.

On 1/20/2024 at 11:33 AM, Broath Boy said:

I'm going to be contrary to the majority of posters here. Sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards. Everyone has an opinion but I honestly don't see HY leading us to independence when he has hitched the SNP to the Greens and their policy priorities. I would far rather have one bad WM election that ends with a new leader (Kate Forbes for me) that ditches the Greens so we can focus on getting above 50% at the next Hollyrood election with a leader and policies that appeal much more to the "soft middle 20% of voters". 

We seem to be permanently stuck in the 48-52% YES range and nothing that NS/HY have done in the last ten years has moved the dial in a sustainable way. We almost certainly won't have the Tory boogeyman to hide behind for at least the next 5 years and maybe longer so we really need to try something different otherwise we will still be posting the same groundhog day stuff in 2034

Peter Buck, guitarist of REM, liked my FB post describing the best live version of Gardening at Night, which i first heard circa 1983, and is very difficult to find online 

I have it on vinyl

If that's not news i dont know what is

Chuffed

Lucy Frazer believes the BBC is bias......she's half right because they are bias but they're sure as fuck not bias against the tories

Lucy Frazer follows that doozy up by stating GB news is balanced. Yes you read that right, someone on the cabinet believes GB news is balanced.

GB news is a 24 hour election broadcast for the tories and reform 

US Supreme Court declines to halt execution of Alabama inmate set to be the first to die by nitrogen gas today

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

US Supreme Court declines to halt execution of Alabama inmate set to be the first to die by nitrogen gas today

I was reading about that earlier. The guy had been in prison for 35 years anyway, not sure what this achieves at all. Quite dark and disturbing after his initial failed execution. 

19 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

I was reading about that earlier. The guy had been in prison for 35 years anyway, not sure what this achieves at all. Quite dark and disturbing after his initial failed execution. 

Not just that - he was part of the killing for hire and although at the scene it was his accomplice that did it.

The Jury recommended he was given life imprisonment rather than the death penalty but the judge overruled them - something that can no longer be done

You would think after the failed lethal injection attempt someone might have said give the guy a break and just keep him in prison - but they doubled down

Unbelievably they got the idea of this type of execution from a programme done by fucking Michael Portillo and as predicted the scenario of pilots feeling giddy then losing consciousness by inhaling nitrogen is nothing like deliberately trying to kill someone with it - he thrashed around in the chair for 25 minutes 

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not just that - he was part of the killing for hire and although at the scene it was his accomplice that did it.

The Jury recommended he was given life imprisonment rather than the death penalty but the judge overruled them - something that can no longer be done

You would think after the failed lethal injection attempt someone might have said give the guy a break and just keep him in prison - but they doubled down

Unbelievably they got the idea of this type of execution from a programme done by fucking Michael Portillo and as predicted the scenario of pilots feeling giddy then losing consciousness by inhaling nitrogen is nothing like deliberately trying to kill someone with it - he thrashed around in the chair for 25 minutes 

It's more like they revel in cruel and unusual punishment rather than it being a key constitutional protection from oppression. I suppose it's not the only article they wilfully choose to misinterpret. 

They should just have named them HMS White Elephants.

Sean Bell has interesting article on Sky News website why RAF pilots are taking off from land and flying 3000 miles for Houthi strikes rather than mega expensive carriers.

Sorry, haven't worked out how to post link!

Edited by Hertsscot

14 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I see Ms Mone has had her assets frozen. 🤣

She deserve all thats coming but she will also be the sacrificial lamb in all of this. She wasn't the only one involved in this. She didn't dupe the government, the Government knew exactly who they were dealing with 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

She deserve all thats coming but she will also be the sacrificial lamb in all of this. She wasn't the only one involved in this. She didn't dupe the government, the Government knew exactly who they were dealing with 

Of course. It will all be done in a way so that she gets punished (rightly so) but nothing at all will be said or done about the seedy corrupt government who actively chose to use her company knowing fine it was totally wrong. In the real world it would be the government that would take the biggest punishment.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Absolutely. She isnt ‘one of them ‘ in terms of power or support behind her. She is an easy resource to be disposed of .  I would not be the least surprised if she took a bung to put up and shut up. The woman has no integrity whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Absolutely. She isnt ‘one of them ‘ in terms of power or support behind her. She is an easy resource to be disposed of .  I would not be the least surprised if she took a bung to put up and shut up. The woman has no integrity whatsoever. 

I saw that Mundell snr has spoken out about how Cameron didn’t bother following any kind of due process when appointing Mone to the Lords. He is fond of trying to put his tuppence in after the horse has bolted. See also Brexit, criticising Boris Johnson and also Partygate. Pointless. Strange to like working for the UK when it's so disregarding of the Scotland Office. Must enjoy having all the perks but no responsibility. 

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Trump might be the only person who can stop it happening?

That's if you are willing to believe his "anti war" platform in 2024 will be different from his "anti war" platform in 2016

He talks some amount of shite and could blunder the world into an even worse situation

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's if you are willing to believe his "anti war" platform in 2024 will be different from his "anti war" platform in 2016

He talks some amount of shite and could blunder the world into an even worse situation

Agreed. Just look at the chaos he brought to his own country encouraging anarchy getting his followers to storm Congress.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed. Just look at the chaos he brought to his own country encouraging anarchy getting his followers to storm Congress.

Apparently they didn’t storm congress, they were taken hostage there 😵‍💫