Clarke wanted by celtic?? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke wanted by celtic??

hampden_loon2878

As stated elsewhere, if we were to kick off with 7 or 9 points ( especially a win V Austria ) then I think he will stay. A realistic chance to manage in a world cup with a group of players he knows well will outdo any attraction of the Celtic job.

Think Clarke's biggest skill is scouting untapped talent ( Dykes, heard what Lukaku says about him at West Brom, the Killie midfield ) and to be given a cheque book at Celtic to start the next 10 in a row campaign probably wont be for him.

BTW think Celtic might look for a bigger international name at the end of the season.

45 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

What job could he realistically get that would be bigger than celtic?

I don't know, that will depend how he performs with Scotland in the Euros and the WC qualifiers. 

There's more to this too, he has commented on how he didn;t want his kids exposed to the bigotry surrounding the OF. Keeping that in mind I'd say he won't take the Celtic job

I'd be very surprised if he was interested in the Celtic job. Under him they might win everything in Scotland - again - but then what? They're not going to do anything in Europe. I'd say getting Scotland qualified for the World Cup finals would be a bigger achievement than anything he could do domestically with Celtic.

Plus, as others have said, there's the whole baggage that goes with managing one half of the OF. I thought one of his reasons for taking the Scotland job was because it would enable him to spend more time with his family, who live down south; would he want to risk bringing them into the OF firing line?

The only advantages the Celtic job offers in comparison to his current role are that it probably pays a bit more (and I doubt Clarke is short of a few quid) and it would allow him to work with players on a daily basis.

I would imagine Celtics "interest" is nothing more than the bookies and press plucking the first "Celtic Man" they can think of who is doing a good job elsewhere (had Ipswich Town been cruising in League One, papers would be full of "Celtic want Lambert").

Clarke was very vocal on his disdain for all the baggage that came in Scottish football (from both halves of the Old Firm) and also made it known that he wanted the Scotland job as it allowed him to continue living in London (which was part of the issue when he was at Killie), I doubt he will want to jump straight back in with a even bigger job.

Give it a few days and papers will turn their attention to a Martinez and Maloney duo partnership, before moving on to Eddie Howe and likes of that.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

I would imagine Celtics "interest" is nothing more than the bookies and press plucking the first "Celtic Man" they can think of who is doing a good job elsewhere (had Ipswich Town been cruising in League One, papers would be full of "Celtic want Lambert").

Clarke was very vocal on his disdain for all the baggage that came in Scottish football (from both halves of the Old Firm) and also made it known that he wanted the Scotland job as it allowed him to continue living in London (which was part of the issue when he was at Killie), I doubt he will want to jump straight back in with a even bigger job.

Give it a few days and papers will turn their attention to a Martinez and Maloney duo partnership, before moving on to Eddie Howe and likes of that.

Bookies have Kennedy and Howe as favs 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but that job is tainted just now considering the mess they are in. Heck at present they are much closer to finishing 3rd or 4th than they are to top. Appealing? I don't think so.

They still have a squad that should be competing for the title plus he would be given a massive transfer budget to compete with rangers. Its still probably the biggest club job Clarke will ever get offered. Plus much more money I would imagine. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't know, that will depend how he performs with Scotland in the Euros and the WC qualifiers. 

There's more to this too, he has commented on how he didn;t want his kids exposed to the bigotry surrounding the OF. Keeping that in mind I'd say he won't take the Celtic job

Well he's unlikely to get offered an epl gig even if he does relatively well at the Euros and the wc qualifiers. 

Michael o Neill went to Stoke when they were rock bottom of the English championship after doing well for years with ni.

Celtic are easily the biggest and probably the best paid club job he will ever get offered. He might get a relegation battling epl team if he does amazing at the Euros but even then it wouldnt be as big a job as celtic. 

Wether he wants to take the Celtic job is a different matter as he's obviously voiced his disdain for the old firm mentality in the west of Scotland. 

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bookies have Kennedy and Howe as favs 

Bookies odd's are 99% of the time based on betting patterns rather than being in any kind of 'in the know'.

Probably seen a number of bets put on Howe this morning, and Kennedy on the chance he can turn it around.

Its like when Bilic was bookies favorite for the Scotland job, big name out of work with international experience, and a journalist had been able to get a quote out of his agent saying the Scotland job would "interest" him, suddenly people pile money on Bilic and see his odd's going shooting up.

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

They still have a squad that should be competing for the title plus he would be given a massive transfer budget to compete with rangers. Its still probably the biggest club job Clarke will ever get offered. Plus much more money I would imagine. 

I'd agree but evidently (as per his own comments) the Old Firm does not float his boat. I'd say the greater likelihood is he'd head to a struggling EPL team.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And the Old Firm would need to change immensely too with the religious stuff - that ain't going to happen so it rules them out.

The money and the chance to manage his boyhood team will change that mindset pretty quickly. 

He made a one off comment about sectarianism in the west of Scotland, it hardly means he would never accept the Celtic job. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

The money and the chance to manage his boyhood team will change that mindset pretty quickly. 

He made a one off comment about sectarianism in the west of Scotland, it hardly means he would never accept the Celtic job. 

My guess is money does not come into this. He probably earned way more than Celtic will offer when he was an assistant at the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool. And you cannot tell me money was the pulling power of Kilmarnock and Scotland.

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well he's unlikely to get offered an epl gig even if he does relatively well at the Euros and the wc qualifiers. 

Michael o Neill went to Stoke when they were rock bottom of the English championship after doing well for years with ni.

Celtic are easily the biggest and probably the best paid club job he will ever get offered. He might get a relegation battling epl team if he does amazing at the Euros but even then it wouldnt be as big a job as celtic. 

Wether he wants to take the Celtic job is a different matter as he's obviously voiced his disdain for the old firm mentality in the west of Scotland. 

Clarke is regarding highly as a coach, hence him working under some great managers. O'Neill worked at Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers before going to Northern Ireland, they are not comparable. 

You can keep repeating Celtic will be the biggest offer he gets, it doesn't make it true.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It was more than a one off comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/06/steve-clarke-in-scotland-sweep-sectarianism-under-the-carpet-euro-2020-play-offs-mourinho

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/20/kilmarnock-steve-clarke-rangers-scottish-cup-sectarian-abuse

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Clarke is regarding highly as a coach, hence him working under some great managers. O'Neill worked at Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers before going to Northern Ireland, they are not comparable. 

You can keep repeating Celtic will be the biggest offer he gets, it doesn't make it true.

Clarke has only managed wba for a season and killie for a few seasons. That's hardly massive clubs and he's never won anything as a manager.

O Neill had years of being successful with a poor northern Ireland squad and the best he got offered was a rock bottom English championship Stoke. 

It's pretty obvious to see celtic are the biggest club/job Clarke will get offered. 

I ask you again who would offer Clarke a job that's bigger than celtic? 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You are talking about opinions here. Plenty would say an EPL club of any sort would be bigger. For evidence of that just look at Celtic's recent past managers. Hardly, European super managers at all - very far from it. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Clarke has only managed wba for a season and killie for a few seasons. That's hardly massive clubs and he's never won anything as a manager.

O Neill had years of being successful with a poor northern Ireland squad and the best he got offered was a rock bottom English championship Stoke. 

It's pretty obvious to see celtic are the biggest club/job Clarke will get offered. 

But Clarke has already worked at Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool, and sure Mourinho would have loved to have taken him elsewhere.

Just because he has never been the main man at a big club does not mean he has not worked at big clubs.

I think he is generally content with the Scotland (never had the impression that he was one for the spot light, and the Scotland job is a good fit for him), and if we lose him it will be to someone like Fulham, as I think he is settled in the London area and wants to keep it that way.

Edited by wanderer

Why do you keep asking me to name a club? Nobody could answer that question. 

Clarke also worked under some brilliant coaches and has a great reputation in england. That may not be as a number 1 but his coaching history is better than O'Neil. O'Neil hasn't won anything so I'm not sure why you bring that up.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are talking about opinions here. Plenty would say an EPL club of any sort would be bigger. For evidence of that just look at Celtic's recent past managers. Hardly, European super managers at all - very far from it. 

Yeh I agree it comes down to opinions but I would say the Celtic job is probably in the top 15/20 jobs in the UK in terms of size.

The only chance Clarke has of getting a bigger job than celtic is if a established epl team like Newcastle United or Everton offers him a job which I very much doubt will happen. 

How many of the current clubs in the epl would offer Clarke a job. Maybe the relegation three and that's it and I wouldn't say they are necessarily bigger jobs than celtic. 

Its seems like ppl on this thread have a problem admitting that celtic is probably the biggest job Clarke will get offered in his career not to mention the most money. 

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

But Clarke has already worked at Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool, and sure Mourinho would have loved to have taken him elsewhere.

Just because he has never been the main man at a big club does not mean he has not worked at big clubs.

I think he is generally content with the Scotland (never had the impression that he was one for the spot light, and the Scotland job is a good fit for him), and if we lose him it will be to someone like Fulham, as I think he is settled in the London area and wants to keep it that way.

He was assistant manager at those clubs, big difference from being manager. 

Yeh he might be content with the Scotland job or he might want a London job but the point that I have made is that celtic is probably the biggest job he will ever get offered and it wouldn't surprise me if he at least considers it. 

Its seems like ppl on this thread have a problem admitting that celtic is probably the biggest job Clarke will get offered in his career not to mention the most money. 

Tosh. Celtic pay paltry wages. That is clear. It is also why you do not see them recruit managers of the ilk of Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola, Benitez etc etc etc. Look who they have recruited down through the years and are managers on the cheap.

And again as I said before I'd bet a heck of a lot on Clarke having earned more as an assistant down in the EPL than Celtic would pay. Therefore he's had his good pay days. I mean he certainly never saw the pound signs when taking on the Kilmarnock or Scotland job.