Nations League - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

exile

I don't get the issue with Faddys comments. He is saying they want to qualify without needing a play off, that he also says they want to secure in the next two games, that their goals are higher than a mere play off. Also they are planning ahead by fielding some youngsters and are being prepared to take some risks. 

A great mindset if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it comes down to this - beat Israel at Hampden on Tuesday and we win our group and secure a playoff for Euro 2020. We would also probably be at home in the first playoff tie. 

I think most of us would have taken that when the draw was made. 

Hopefully tonight’s result will sway anyone that was debating going on Tuesday and we get a decent crowd.  

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Well it comes down to this - beat Israel at Hampden on Tuesday and we win our group and secure a playoff for Euro 2020. We would also probably be at home in the first playoff tie. 

Hopefully tonight’s result will sway anyone that was debating going on Tuesday and we get a decent crowd.  

Am with u on this one m8

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Spot on. Kicking myself i didn't book flights over to Glasgow when they were only 30 quid on Ryanscare.

Get tae Hampden ye c*nts. A roar from a big crowd and a performance anything like tonight will see us win the group

Could we get Israel in our Euro 20 group? Presuming not as could be situation where defeat helps qualifying chances. If we don`t win on Tuesday and are struggling in Euro20 group a defeat to Israel could help them qualify direct and so give us playoff place. Or we beat israel on Tuesday  and Israel lose to us for Euro20  so we qualify direct.

1 hour ago, ironbrew said:

Could we get Israel in our Euro 20 group? Presuming not as could be situation where defeat helps qualifying chances. If we don`t win on Tuesday and are struggling in Euro20 group a defeat to Israel could help them qualify direct and so give us playoff place. Or we beat israel on Tuesday  and Israel lose to us for Euro20  so we qualify direct.

Jesus! That's a thinker 

1 hour ago, ironbrew said:

I don’t think there are any restrictions on who we could get in the qualifiers other than we can only get one other host country in our group.

If Israel beat us on Tuesday and then qualify outright next year we wouldn’t be guaranteed their play off spot anyway. It would go to the highest ranked team (based on final Nations League positions) who didn’t qualify and who didn’t win their NL group. That might well be us but it might not.

I would be astounded if Israel got anywhere near second place in their group next year in any case.

There is also a good chance that we’ll both be in pot 3 which would prevent us from being drawn together anyway. 

Edited by Texas Pete

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Am I right in thinking a 3:2, 4:3 or that kind of win for us would put Israel through on away goals?

2 minutes ago, todd said:

Am I right in thinking a 3:2, 4:3 or that kind of win for us would put Israel through on away goals?

How on earth could that be the case? Have you seen the group? We are currently on 6 points as are Israel.

If we beat Israel we will have 9 points and they will have 6. The score could be 25-24 to us and we would still win the group. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

How on earth could that be the case? Have you seen the group? We are currently on 6 points as are Israel.

If we beat Israel we will have 9 points and they will have 6. The score could be 25-24 to us and we would still win the group. 

Alright, calm down, just realised my stupidity.  Was still in the pre Albania game mindset 😆

Just now, todd said:

Alright, calm down, just realised my stupidity.  Was still in the pre Albania game mindset 😆

I’m perfectly calm mate. My post maybe seemed a bit more aggressive than I intended. 😂

I’m just confused by the number of people who don’t seem to know what we need to win our group.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I’m perfectly calm mate. My post maybe seemed a bit more aggressive than I intended. 😂

I’m just confused by the number of people who don’t seem to know what we need to win our group.

Not sure if uefa even know what we need to win the group! 😊

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Could be wrong, but think that is only case if we draw....

If win the group through beating Israel then we would most likely be promoted to group B play off’s (as most the teams from leagues A and B will qualify through the Euro qualifiers next year) and get a harder group and most likely lose home advantage.

draw and we would stay where we are in Pot C play off’s, but suddenly find ourselves one of the higher ranked teams, so get home advantage.

Regarding Euro draw, pots starting to take shape now,

http://m.footballseeding.com/international-tournaments/euro-2020/

Texas Pete will let you know :-))

I suspect it's the other way round as we'd be punished for winning the group otherwise.