No shots on target? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No shots on target?

bonny78

We set up 100% defensive from the off. The players are in the squad to give us some options going forward, but McLeish put a side on the pitch to limit the goals taken. It was just a bit sad tbh.

We could have gone with pace out wide, Christie, Morgan, Christie, Russell. But we didnt.
I thought McGeough was an attacking mid.. but we played him as a number 6, meaning he offered nothing.

With the midfield 3 all defensive minded and the wide players defensive minded, there was no chance of us being a significant attacking threat in the game. It's 100% how we set up.

I'm really tired of this now. We've got some pace available. But here we are again with a frightened manager,  being overly conservative, with his first thought being to keep the score down rather than give us a chance of victory, let alone letting the players be free to show what they can do. Organised and disciplined only gets you so far.. and it won't get us to a tournament.

Tired of McLeish already.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

We set up 100% defensive from the off. The players are in the squad to give us some options going forward, but McLeish put a side on the pitch to limit the goals taken. It was just a bit sad tbh.

We could have gone with pace out wide, Christie, Morgan, Christie, Russell. But we didnt.
I thought McGeough was an attacking mid.. but we played him as a number 6, meaning he offered nothing.

With the midfield 3 all defensive minded and the wide players defensive minded, there was no chance of us being a significant attacking threat in the game. It's 100% how we set up.

I'm really tired of this now. We've got some pace available. But here we are again with a frightened manager,  being overly conservative, with his first thought being to keep the score down rather than give us a chance of victory, let alone letting the players be free to show what they can do. Organised and disciplined only gets you so far.. and it won't get us to a tournament.

Tired of McLeish already.

I don't know. Being organised and defensive seems to have taken the irelands pretty far. Its certainly been our downfall. Defence has been shakey for years. Without brown breaking up play we were getting skelped 

Replacing brown, finding a centre back pairing and a decent right back is the order of the day. If the likes of Morgan or Mcgeouch breakthrough then it's a bonus. 

Armstrong, McGregor, Robertson and others will all improve forward momentum. Griffiths is our only decent striker. The rest are shite and there is nothing we can do about it.

46 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I don't know. Being organised and defensive seems to have taken the irelands pretty far. Its certainly been our downfall. Defence has been shakey for years. Without brown breaking up play we were getting skelped 

Armstrong, McGregor, Robertson and others will all improve forward momentum. Griffiths is our only decent striker. The rest are shite and there is nothing we can do about it.

Ireland have 2 main things which let them succeed thru being a reasonable organised and defensive unit tho.

1) Set pieces
2) Counter-attacking

People like Brady, McClean and McGeady who could carry the ball at pace. Shane Long who had the pace to get in behind. Walters was a strong guy up front, and deliveries from people like Whelan and Houlihan.

A big millstone around Scotland's neck for a long while has been a lack of pace. We saw what a difference Anya made when he first came into the side. We went from being almost locked into a 10 man defensive unit game after game to suddenly having more space to play in because of the fear of Anya's pace. For me, this team went back to those dark days of offering nothing in attack. With no threat, it's just a matter of time until you lose, and that's spirit breaking not just for us fans, but for the players.

The future of Scotland's wide positions is not McLean and Murphy. If we're lucky we'll never see either of them out there again. What could be the future of Scotlands wide positions is Christie, Morgan, Cadden. So why on earth did we give them 20 minutes between them?

And just the pure negativity of it, i can't get past. Where did McLeish expect us to get a goal from? Lump it at Phillips and hope he lucks one? Great.

This whole 'tour' is a joke as we all know. Nothing to learn or gain from it as far as I am concerned with very few of the players anywhere near our first team so not upset at all. Actually feel sorry for the lads as they also know the score but I would have gone to get a Scotland cap had I been invited. No danger. 

If we beat Mexico 5-0 playing free-flowing, exciting, attacking football I may reconsider but the real judgement is reserved for Israel and Albania as this friendly replacement tournament (Nations League) gives us a chance of achieving what we all crave, albeit via the back door.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Ireland have 2 main things which let them succeed thru being a reasonable organised and defensive unit tho.

1) Set pieces
2) Counter-attacking

They also had Robbie Keane for many years.

We haven't had a goal scorer like that since Denis Law.