Another Referendum Sooner Than We Think? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another Referendum Sooner Than We Think?

More power to UKIP.

The more they drive in the wedge from their side of the border, the more likely that Britain...for what it is...is likely to splinter.

Yep.

Similarly the BBC. Their piece the other night about Scottish subsidy beggared belief and will only encourage resentment both sides of the border. Why they would spend the referendum campaign undermining independence before doing an about turn and encouraging division is bizarre. Only explanation is that they've not read the brief BBC Scotland read and the UK establishment are completely underestimating how fragile the union actually is.

Yep.

Similarly the BBC. Their piece the other night about Scottish subsidy beggared belief and will only encourage resentment both sides of the border. Why they would spend the referendum campaign undermining independence before doing an about turn and encouraging division is bizarre. Only explanation is that they've not read the brief BBC Scotland read and the UK establishment are completely underestimating how fragile the union actually is.

or more likely they are just dancing to number 10's tune.

Why can't we simply have a Yes Alliance at the next Scottish election, running on a manifesto of 'if we attain power Scotland is independent, no referendum required'? What could they do? Send in the army?

Tactical voting would ensure next to no seats were won though...

Do you think so? Not many Lib Dems left, and most of the constituency seats are Labour, so tgat would require Tories to vote Labour. Not sure that would happen in the numbers required.

A manefesto pledge like that would effectively turn the election into another referendum. Tories would absolutely turn to Labour and vice versa (well in Dumfries anyway). Plus many of the Labour Yes voters would revert to type.

It'd make for an interesting campaign but my gut feeling is it would be an unwinnable one...

Excellent idea. Finally we English get to vote on something. :wave:

Come on though George, it is a terrible idea.

What currency will you use? If you leave the UK you leave the UK pound.

And you'll need border guards - two lots, not just one - at the Scottish AND Welsh borders.

Your granny in Gretna and your auntie in Aberystwyth will become FOREIGNERS. And you'll need to use your passport to go and see them!

You might not get to see top TV shows like Taggart and Wheel of Fortune.

You've hardly got any oil - and what will you do when it all runs out? Don't come running to us for a bail out, pal.

And what if top companies like Mackays and R.S McColls decided to leave? People will lose their jobs!

So many unanswered questions...

Firstly only way Scotland will become independent is through a referendum.

But on the question of when another referendum will be, hopefully there will be one sooner than people think. I spoke with SNP HQ and it was heavily hinted that a no vote changes nothing on SNP policy. If another majority is won they will hold another referendum and that will never change. So with a 2016 majority win you would be looking at a 2017 or 2018 vote. That would be the earliest we would be looking at and at the moment I would say it is more likely than not. Even without an SNP majority it could still pass with an increased Green vote.

Edited by iainmac1

Firstly only way Scotland will become independent is through a referendum.

But on the question of when another referendum will be, hopefully there will be one sooner than people think. I spoke with SNP HQ and it was heavily hinted that a no vote changes nothing on SNP policy. If another majority is won they will hold another referendum and that will never change. So with a 2016 majority win you would be looking at a 2017 or 2018 vote. That would be the earliest we would be looking at and at the moment I would say it is more likely than not. Even without an SNP majority it could still pass with an increased Green vote.

There's an inherent danger in this....if there's to be another referendum I want it to be held on a position of strength for the Yes campaign.

i.e....where there is actually a significant majority in the country wanting independence. If there's another referendum with the same result, that will certainly kill it for a generation.

A tory or tory/ukip government next year, a renege on promises of more powers and being taken out of the EU when we vote to remain in it would be the best possible scenario.

That would surely see the Yes vote through.

The state propaganda machine, newspapers, and big business being bribed and encouraged by Westminster, would still be against us.