@ Hamden loon. And most of our towns, villages and cities would be booming with all that spending power. 

In times gone by the teeside mafia used to block Scots getting a job in their own waters, now they do it inadvertently (maybe not) by getting their mates, family members in first. 

I always say that no voters should work beside these guys for a few days and they’ll soon be voting yes.

I was scheduled to go on the stair ridge, but knocked it back at the last second. That’s after me doing all the week long course too 🤭

5 hours ago, antidote said:

I’m sure hampden loon will back me up on this. 

It would also hurt the working class, in particular, the north east of England if Scotland were to go down the road of Scots get a job first offshore, like the Norwegians do.

You can hardly get a job offshore for Geordies, teesiders etc. 

The loss to Scotland in economic spending from these migrant workers is huge.

The North Sea is practically driving their local economies. 

Presumably the Norwegians are able to do that because they're not part of the EU? It'd contravene single market employment laws i'd imagine?

7 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

But the people telling me Brexit will be a disaster are the same people who told me Scottish independence would be a disaster. I’m confused. 

In 2014 the plan was for Scotland to be an EU member.  Indeed our future trading relationship with England would have been defined by us both being members.  Though admittedly there would have be intermittent period where things were awkward as we waited for application to apply.

Now : fast forward to 2018.  The Brexit proposal isn't to give Scotland the same status as CH, Norway or Iceland.  EEA membership would be the sensible way to unite the UK after a 52:48 vote.....
Instead some elements of Tory / UKIP want entirely clean and permanent break from the EU.  That means losing not just access to the single market but also 53 global trade deals we enjoy under auspices of EU membership. 

UK would be the 2nd country in world (along with North Korea!) to have no FTA agreements in place.
Have a think about that....

Edited by Haggis_trap

Just now, Dave78 said:

Presumably the Norwegians are able to do that because they're not part of the EU? It'd contravene single market employment laws i'd imagine?

Uhhhm : They are also able to do that because they are not part of the UK :D

FWIW : Norway has extracted same total barrels of oil as Scotland.  They are one of richest nations on earth.  Meanwhile Westminster spunked the money for us (Thatcher closed down the coal mines / ship yards with revenue) and then they call us subsidy junkies.

To put it politely : The EU is not the root of UKs many problems.
That is the politics of blame which they accuse Scots of being guilty.

7 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

UK would be the 2nd country in world (along with North Korea!) to have no FTA agreements in place.
Have a think about that....

Vote the wrong way and you’ll be punished? 

36 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Not too sure of that. I remember a few years back that expats had to speak Norwegian, or some words, to get a job in Norway. 

This was aimed mainly at the polish migrant workers.  

The Norwegians, as a good few other eu countries Denmark, Italy etc, seem to be more nationalistic when it comes to who gets jobs within their country, or on their projects overseas. Fluent speakers seem to be the buzz words. 

9 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Nothing to do with the vote - just facts of what might happen if you vote that way if no agreement can be reached 

It's the UK that doesn't want to be in the CU or SM 

And thats one juicy trade deal the EU have done with Japan - will make visiting there more appealing as goods will be cheaper

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44857317 

Edited by Ally Bongo

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nothing to do with the vote - just facts of what might happen if you vote that way if no agreement can be reached 

It's the UK that doesn't want to be in the CU or SM 

And thats one juicy trade deal the EU have done with Japan - will make visiting there more appealing as goods will be cheaper

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44857317 

I’ll concede to your greater knowledge on what the politicians are saying publicly as reported by the mainstream media. 

I suspect what is said publicly is very diffident to what’s happening privately, like I said I’m not sure how to take what’s going on just now, which is okay, we shouldn’t be forced into picking a side. 

17 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’ll concede to your greater knowledge on what the politicians are saying publicly as reported by the mainstream media. 

I suspect what is said publicly is very diffident to what’s happening privately, like I said I’m not sure how to take what’s going on just now, which is okay, we shouldn’t be forced into picking a side. 

I would imagine that most folk already know what side they are on, not that it makes much difference.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Erm - they just passed a vote in Parliament yesterday  - something that Rees Mogg, Farage et al have been saying for long enough 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44864496 

13 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Punished by who ?
You cant choose to leave the EU and keep the bits you like (such as existing EU trade deals with global nations).

I respect the fact you are euro-sceptic and we likely wont agree on this issue.
However the beauty of independence is that the people of Scotland would decide their future status.