£15,000 Poppy Fine - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

£15,000 Poppy Fine

DoonTheSlope

On 2/10/2017 at 11:44 AM, BlueGaz said:

IMO, there was absolutely no way that FIFA were going to dish out a points deduction, and that is backed up by a token 15k fine being given as punishment, therefore I don't think there was any risk at all.  Of course we will all have differing views on this, but I think they did the right thing.  

But that still doesn't take away from the fact that FIFA could've deducted points to a football association member openly defying their rules. The risk was still there however sleight.

We got fined for referencing the 1916 Rising on our jerseys in a friendly last year but in fairness it wasn't a deliberate attempt to defy their rules. It was an error out of ignorance but we duly got fined.  If our own FAI deliberately defied a FIFA ban on the Easter Lilly being sown into our jerseys and we wore it anyway, it would be plain stupidity as it would obviously result in some form of reprimand. There'd be a huge backlash from Irish supporters towards the association.

Whatever your own feelings on the wearing of  'patriotic' symbols, if you're in charge of an international football association you have to do what's in the best interests of the national team and fans and needlessly risking a reprimand from FIFA isn't one of them. 

FIFA's rule is a reasonable fair rule and if you're that enamoured with your war dead and armed forces so much, there's other ways to show your appreciation for them and their charities. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
3 hours ago, irish said:

But that still doesn't take away from the fact that FIFA could've deducted points to a football association member openly defying their rules. The risk was still there however sleight.

We got fined for referencing the 1916 Rising on our jerseys in a friendly last year but in fairness it wasn't a deliberate attempt to defy their rules. It was an error out of ignorance but we duly got fined.  If our own FAI deliberately defied a FIFA ban on the Easter Lilly being sown into our jerseys and we wore it anyway, it would be plain stupidity as it would obviously result in some form of reprimand. There'd be a huge backlash from Irish supporters towards the association.

Whatever your own feelings on the wearing of  'patriotic' symbols, if you're in charge of an international football association you have to do what's in the best interests of the national team and fans and needlessly risking a reprimand from FIFA isn't one of them. 

FIFA's rule is a reasonable fair rule and if you're that enamoured with your war dead and armed forces so much, there's other ways to show your appreciation for them and their charities. 

I'm not disagreeing with the facts, you don't have to keep posting them. But I think we did the right thing. But shouldn't appeal. 

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

I'm not disagreeing with the facts, you don't have to keep posting them. But I think we did the right thing. But shouldn't appeal. 

Right or wrong is subjective. How about doing the sensible thing?

And when you say 'We', you had no hand in this daft decision but it seems to warm the cockles of your heart that the SFA took a 'patriotic' stand. 

If you're going to be consistent in your patriotism should you not appeal the decision? Especially when FIFA are clearly disrespecting your war dead from a hundred years ago. 

How can you support the original decision but not be in favour of appealing it? 

Guest BlueGaz
11 hours ago, irish said:

How can you support the original decision but not be in favour of appealing it? 

Very easily.  We knew we would get punished, we accept that and we move on.  

Edited by BlueGaz

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That's cos you personally support wearing the poppy.  What about the rest of us?

Don't give a fuk about the rest of you, either way.  Can we put this on the agenda for October?  we have many subjects to get through before this is due to be debated again.  Send me an outlook request for October and I will be happy to take it up with you again.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, adamntg said:

That's what I thought.

Good.  I shouldn't care what you think.  I only care about what I think on this subject.  Each to their own and all that.

46 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Good.  I shouldn't care what you think.  I only care about what I think on this subject.  Each to their own and all that.

Agreed.  If only the blazers at the SFA had the intelligence to realise they shouldn't be forcing their own individual political opinions on others.

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

Agreed.  If only the blazers at the SFA had the intelligence to realise they shouldn't be forcing their own individual political opinions on others.

And just to add to your point no football association should conducting themselves like that especially in a manner that could have repercussions which are contrary to the best interests of the team & supporters. That's common sense and should be above any personal juvenile nationalistic sentiments.

Guest BlueGaz
16 minutes ago, irish said:

And just to add to your point no football association should conducting themselves like that especially in a manner that could have repercussions which are contrary to the best interests of the team & supporters. That's common sense and should be above any personal juvenile nationalistic sentiments.

Juvenile nationalistic sentiments?  Yer arse ya #####.  Theres juvenile for you.

50 minutes ago, irish said:

100% correct there :ok:

Guest BlueGaz

Yet thousands of those supporters can get us fined anyway?  How is that no personal juvenile nationalistic sentiments?  Interesting you are only referring to the poppy side of things / part of the fine.  Eerstaz will always back you up on that side and not mention the other part too.  So you are in good company there.  :ok:

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

@Parklife might agree with you, seeing as he was banned for it. ;)

Nope. I was banned because the Admin team were annoyed that i'd took the piss out of them telling you to stop calling the Queen "a cow". They then used the first chance they could to suspend me. 

Yet the person who grassed on me for the "abuse" is continually giving people actual abuse (much more serious than calling someone a "moron"), with seemingly no repercussions. The rules only apply to some folk though.  

Just now, Parklife said:

Yet the person who grassed on me for the "abuse" is continually giving people actual abuse (much more serious than calling someone a "moron"), with seemingly no repercussions. The rules only apply to some folk though.  

Which was what I was alluding to.

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nope. I was banned because the Admin team were annoyed that i'd took the piss out of them telling you to stop calling the Queen "a cow". They then used the first chance they could to suspend me. 

How many reports have you made about " the person who grassed on (you) for the "abuse" ... continually giving people actual abuse"?

4 minutes ago, Admin4 said:

How many reports have you made about " the person who grassed on (you) for the "abuse" ... continually giving people actual abuse"?

Just to help you out, i just made one on his abusive post above. :)