All wear poppies at Wembley ? - Page 3 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

All wear poppies at Wembley ?

Magnum

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Willie Miller's tache said:

Apart from your enduring paranoia and the massive chip on your shoulder, why on earth do you think the sfa are doing as "London" tells them?Ā 

Good on the sfa for not doing as FIFA tells them.

Ā 

Don't let sheer speculation get in the way of a rant against the SFA

7 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Apart from your enduring paranoia and the massive chip on your shoulder, why on earth do you think the sfa are doing as "London" tells them?Ā 

Good on the sfa for not doing as FIFA tells them.

Ā 

Because the SFA are a shower of spineless arseholes.

This should be left up to an individual's choice. I stand by anybody who wants to wear one for personal reasons and equally those who don't. This collective outrage nowadays is disgusting with the freedoms that World War heroes fought for.

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

We should pretend we are going to do it then not actually go through with it and let England take a points deduction.Ā 

If Strachan had the baws to come up with a plan for that, he would go up in my estimations. They could be wearing the poppies whilst standing in the tunnel and then just whip them off before headingĀ onto the pitch.Ā 

We will probably get beaten so wouldn't have any points to be deducted anyway but it would be good to see England lose theirs.:lol:Ā Ā It's probably a betterĀ tactic thanĀ he will come up with duringĀ the entire game.

FIFA doesn't know its arse from its elbow, either here or elsewhere.

How did the Rep of Ireland get away with commemorating the Easter Uprising of 1916 on their shirts?

Answer: just do it and don't tell FIFA. The self-serving arseholes are too busy shredding documents to notice.

Ā 

5 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Why?

Why wear a British Army headgear publicly whilst at the same time not being willing to honour military memories publicly is a bit wanky.Ā 

Ā 

And they look stupid!

6 hours ago, shaddypeekey said:

Why wear a British Army headgear publicly whilst at the same time not being willing to honour military memories publicly is a bit wanky.Ā 

Ā 

And they look stupid!

Can you only honour people killed in war by wearing a plastic poppy on your top?Ā 

Guest BlueGaz
11 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Just been announced on five live that Scotland and England will defy FIFA and wear the poppy armbandĀ 

Good on them, about time FIFA were told to ram it. Ā If it goes ahead of course. Ā Won't be losing any sleep if they don't.

Many of those currently squeezed onto the moral high ground over poppies will fall off it when they boo God Save the Queen. This whole topic is a minefield of hypocracy, whatabouterry and double standards.

The focus needs to be on winning a football match, I don't care what we wear.

34 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

The referee (appointed by FIFA) could refuse to start the game if the players are wearing unauthorised kit...

Well that's not going to happen.Ā 

It will be a fine. Probably in used notes down the cistern in the Wembley bogs.Ā 

1 hour ago, captain said:

Many of those currently squeezed onto the moral high ground over poppies will fall off it when they boo God Save the Queen. This whole topic is a minefield of hypocracy, whatabouterry and double standards.

And there will be those of us who don't give a fcuk about whether we weer a poppy and will boo GSTQ.Ā 

1 hour ago, podgers1903 said:

Wonder what the SFA would do if a Scottish club defied them after a request was turned down.Ā 

This hasĀ set a worrying precedent for the game throughout the world. Celtic done it when they defied UEFA by waving Palestinian flags and now FA & SFA are going to further deepen the problem. Now, there would beĀ nothing stopping other FAs around the world stating their political stances at international fixtures from now on. A hefty fine would be the "norm" for this type of rule breach but I can see this resulting in a points deduction.Ā Rules are there for a reason. To stop these things from happening. Otherwise, what would be the point in any rules at all? Why not just play the game without a ref too while we're at it? Few folk saying it doesn't matter what they do, whether they wear a poppy or not... well it does matter. We are told not to, therefore we shouldn't. I mean, this could end up seriously scuppering our massive chance to beat England and prolong our chance of qualification. Keep politics and football separate.

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, captain said:

Most decent folk just wear a poppy with a small donation to the appeal, and get on with it. Ā Thats how it should be an probably will be. Ā Negativity surrounding anything is always shouted louder within the media etc, but decency normally prevails.

2 minutes ago, michaelconroy said:

This hasĀ set a worrying precedent for the game throughout the world. Celtic done it when they defied UEFA by waving Palestinian flags and now FA & SFA are going to further deepen the problem. Now, there would beĀ nothing stopping other FAs around the world stating their political stances at international fixtures from now on. A hefty fine would be the "norm" for this type of rule breach but I can see this resulting in a points deduction.Ā Rules are there for a reason. To stop these things from happening. Otherwise, what would be the point in any rules at all? Why not just play the game without a ref too while we're at it? Few folk saying it doesn't matter what they do, whether they wear a poppy or not... well it does matter. We are told not to, therefore we shouldn't. I mean, this could end up seriously scuppering our massive chance to beat England and prolong our chance of qualification. Keep politics and football separate.

I think the two things are very different. Ā It wasn't Celtic FC that put the Palestinian flags on people's seats - at least I hope it wasn't - it was organised by Celtic fans and under UEFA's strict liability rules, the club wasĀ held accountable.

However, the SFA, by their actions here,Ā would be a very shoogly peg if, for example, at the game in June, there were a similar,Ā fans organised, display of Yes flags. Ā They'd have to really take that on the chin.

53 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think the two things are very different. Ā It wasn't Celtic FC that put the Palestinian flags on people's seats - at least I hope it wasn't - it was organised by Celtic fans and under UEFA's strict liability rules, the club wasĀ held accountable.

However, the SFA, by their actions here,Ā would be a very shoogly peg if, for example, at the game in June, there were a similar,Ā fans organised, display of Yes flags. Ā They'd have to really take that on the chin.

Oh yeah! Damn strict liability!Ā 

I'm not really sure what we, the fans,Ā can do about it tbh. Think it has been seriously blown out of proportion by media by letting everyone, and I mean everyone, have their say. Why is Theresa May getting involved? Bit of a riddy tbh.

Beginning to get on my thruppneys this.

Wear one or not, be respectful or not, boo GSTQ or not.

Its a personal choice. The minute our associations get involved that choice is removed.Ā 

Hypothetical question but what happens if a player doesn't want to wear a black armband with a Poppy, where is his freedom to choose?Ā 

Quite frankly getting on people's backs for not wearing a poppy is the worst IMO. Misses the point of quiet personal remembrance.

We are playing England at Wembley in a World Cup qualifier! Can we focus on the football please?

J

Edited by Bristolhibby