Bye bye Gordon - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bye bye Gordon

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

As an aside, I'm sad it's came to all of this. Despite being frustrated as hell at the likes of the one up front/Chris Martin experiment which ain't working and the slump in form I still like Strachan. I can't bring myself to boo him like I did with Levein. Strachan strikes me as a decent guy who is a Scotland fan as well as manager who is as desperate for success as we all are. Sadly, I can't see any way out of this rut we are in. Hence the reasons why I think his time has come and gone.

I agree with that, although I do also see what parklife is saying.

Strachan rubs people up the wrong way with his smart remarks and while he's hardly Mark McGhee, he has a condescending tone at times. He also contradicts himself more and more trying to excuse his bizarre and inconsistent reasonings.

However I agree he does seem like he had the best of intentions, it's just all started to go a bit wrong and I feel it's a case of when not if he goes barring a massive turnaround which I just can't see.

The only thing I can think that has gone wrong is that over the long quiet spells, much like Levein he has massively over thought things as well as letting a stubborn streak and/or petty prejudices get in the way of picking the best players available. (Remember Riordan at Celtic?)

Once again the SFA failing spectacularly to do what most people see as the sensible thing. They really are clowns the lot of them. I just don't see how we can ever recover as a nation without massive change in the SFA. If this means no-one going to games then fck it that has to happen.

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I agree with that, although I do also see what parklife is saying.

Strachan rubs people up the wrong way with his smart remarks and while he's hardly Mark McGhee, he has a condescending tone at times. He also contradicts himself more and more trying to excuse his bizarre and inconsistent reasonings.

However I agree he does seem like he had the best of intentions, it's just all started to go a bit wrong and I feel it's a case of when not if he goes barring a massive turnaround which I just can't see.

The only thing I can think that has gone wrong is that over the long quiet spells, much like Levein he has massively over thought things as well as letting a stubborn streak and/or petty prejudices get in the way of picking the best players available. (Remember Riordan at Celtic?)

The last paragraph is bang on. I think he has tweaked things for the sake of tweaking. I don't know if it's coincidence where our lack of form is partly down to the midfield partnership of Mulgrew and Brown being no more which I thought worked a great deal. Agree that the absence of the likes of Griffiths and McCormack have been utterly lamentable. God knows what has happened there. But I think the rot set in over in Dublin when he benched an in-form Anya for a clearly exposed Craig Forsyth. Instead of playing to our own strengths, he was guilty of worrying too much about Ireland's threat in the air.

1 minute ago, King Of Paisley said:

In what way though? The comment about Chris Martin being outstanding last Saturday, which to be frank was laughable.

By coming out with ridiculous comments to try and deflect any criticism. He's been doing it since the home game vs Georgia. After a decent (and it was no better than that) display against one of the poorest teams in Europe, he tried to tell us that we played "outstandingly" or some pish like that. It was insulting.

We played ok, dominated the game but created very few chances and won thanks to a very lucky own goal. He's been doing the same kind of shit ever since. 

Bitterly disappointed with the performances and team set up on Saturday and Tuesday, but the fact is he will be in the dug out against England.

I only hope that he actually selects the form players for that squad. Too many guys in that first 11 for no reason (Bannan, Martin etc), when we have boys like Griffiths, McCormack, Burke sitting on the bench or in the house.

1 hour ago, Chris2501 said:

Bitterly disappointed with the performances and team set up on Saturday and Tuesday, but the fact is he will be in the dug out against England.

I only hope that he actually selects the form players for that squad. Too many guys in that first 11 for no reason (Bannan, Martin etc), when we have boys like Griffiths, McCormack, Burke sitting on the bench or in the house.

I'll answer that for you just now if you want?

Strachan in the paper again today;

Gordon Strachan warns that Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths faces a difficult task, on account of his smaller stature, to work his way into the starting line-up for the World Cup qualifier against England at Wembley next month. In Scotland's two recent matches Strachan opted for more physical players up front - Steven Fletcher and Chris Martin. The Scotland boss says, "You need to have a certain amount of height in international football teams to defend set plays". (Herald)

Is he just trying to wind us up now!?!?