James McFadden - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James McFadden

romanticscot

9 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I am still unsure what position he played in! Saw him at East End Park before he was capped. Mesmerising left winger then but I am not sure how I would describe his position for Scotland.

Maverick perhaps.

Johan Cryuff was the first player who never really had a 'position'. A few others over the years like Platini and Maradona weren't strikers but they weren't midfielders either. Matt Le Tissier too. This was all before the 'in the hole' and 'No.10' nonsense. 

Faddy was similar in that respect. A luxury player maybe, but someone you'd always want in your team. Someone who would create or score out of nothing and who was a genuine talent. 

For the record I'm over 40 and he'd be in my team ??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Johan Cryuff was the first player who never really had a 'position'. A few others over the years like Platini and Maradona weren't strikers but they weren't midfielders either. Matt Le Tissier too. This was all before the 'in the hole' and 'No.10' nonsense. 

Faddy was similar in that respect. A luxury player maybe, but someone you'd always want in your team. Someone who would create or score out of nothing and who was a genuine talent. 

For the record I'm over 40 and he'd be in my team ??

It was David Begg who summed up him goal in Paris as "a moment of simple genius". 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It was David Begg who summed up him goal in Paris as "a moment of simple genius". 

As much as he'll always be remembered for that goal it was just a hopeful blooter!

In context though, that goal put us top with three games to go so it was obviously significant. 

His goals against Lithuania, Macedonia and Estonia in the away friendly were all technically better. 

11 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

As much as he'll always be remembered for that goal it was just a hopeful blooter!

In context though, that goal put us top with three games to go so it was obviously significant. 

His goals against Lithuania, Macedonia and Estonia in the away friendly were all technically better. 

Not many players have the belief to shoot in that situation. Even fewer have pulled it off. 

Maverick is probably the best word to describe Faddy right enough. Phenomenal finishing ability (unfortunately deserted him with the goal gaping v Italy) although I can't recall him assisting in many goals. Most of his time in possession seemed to end with a shot!

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

You said he wouldn't be in the top 50 Scotland players, that's what I'm disagreeing with.  

I think that depends on how far back you go. I could probably pick 50 players from the 70s who, I think, were better than him, but that's because I'm an auld git. I'm sure Flure could probably pick another 50 from the 60s?

17 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Players that can change/win a game out of nothing are few and far between and that is exactly what McFadden could do. 

Faddy was an outstanding talent and looking back on the youtube video brings back some fantastic memories and highlights the ability the guy has. 

We can sit and say that he wasn't in the same league as the top guys from the 60's/70's/80's all we want, but it doesn't change the fact that he was simply a cut above anything we've had in recent times.

Andy Ritchie was talking about him on 'Off the ball' at the weekend and got it spot on. He was saying about the ability Faddy had and his willingness to try things that other players wouldn't. That's what excites football fans. Sadly, I also have to agree what Ritchie on his opinion that it is probably being coached out of players. Everything is seen as such high-stakes in football and trying to get players into a certain mould that means that guys like McFadden and any type of flair player / someone who doesn't play the 'easy ball' gets forced to change their ways.

I watch kids coming through at St.Mirren and any time a player loses the ball trying to beat a man, or tries to switch the play and it doesn't come off you just hear the reaction of the fans getting on the players back. It'll be the same at every ground around the country! 

I remember the excitement when Faddy first got in to the squads. The word 'gallus' was correctly thrown around by the media regarding him. The Iceland away game back in 2002 (?) when he was on the bench had the tartan army buzzing about the prospect of a young kid and what he could do and develop in to. We need more of that in the game.

I agree with a lot of what you said..... I recall the Romania at Hampden friendly (game that unfortunately ended Kennedy's career), 2-0 down in yet another dyer Vogts friendly where we had hardly had a sniff of the ball, then out of nowhere Faddy got a goal out of nowhere..... 

That is very true that there was a lot of excitement about him at first, but I think that was a down to a mixture of how desperate we were and Vogts over hyping him to the hill (his "Cheeky Boy") .... and yet for some reason after his sending off v Norway and the appointment of Walter Smith his career seemed to stall somewhat for 2 full years (due to Smith somewhat favoring Kenny Miller in his 4-5-1 formation), only for Eck to reignite it again (bringing him on v Lithuania, playing him out of position, but produced a confidence boosting goal that set Faddy off on his golden run of games for Scotland) and we got Faddy at his peak in 2007 (people go on about Paris, I actually think Ukraine at Hampden was his better game).

I think he has rightfully gained his place in the history of the team, but I do not put him in the top brackets of the greats (even in my life time, he was nowhere near Mo Johnston of 1988-89 who just oozed gallus when he was on the pitch)