This Weekends Games - Page 21 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

This is just the nature of the premiership out with Celtic, there isn't much between the rest of the league. Instead of calling it competitive we call it shite. It's bizarre 

It is pretty dire.  Can only get better i suppose.  

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

It is pretty dire.  Can only get better i suppose.  

I disagree, there's nothing wrong with outer game unless you are comparing it to one of the super rich leagues which is like comparing apples with a wheelie bin. They are completely different.

i enjoy our game, in fact I prefer it to the bigger leagues. 

On 9/25/2016 at 11:12 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

It's not just about the budget. Warburton had to build a team last season pretty much from scratch.  He got lucky with the way they started the season and rode that wave to the end. He also got lucky with very few injuries. 

He's had to now build a squad this season and that hasn't clicked early like last year. It will eventually but it depends on how long it takes and how patient our board and fans are.

damn edit function, this was for Vandark14. Anyway, agree with Vander, in england, the fact that any team can beat any other team is heralded as proof their league is fantastic. In Scotland, the same fact (minus celtic) is heralded as how shite our league is. Why do Scots have a permanent downer on anything Scottish??

Edited by dipped flake
wrong post quoted

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree, there's nothing wrong with outer game unless you are comparing it to one of the super rich leagues which is like comparing apples with a wheelie bin. They are completely different.

I'm not comparing it to anything.  If Rangers do win tonight and go joint 2nd/3rd, after the way they have performed this season, it shows how bad the league actually is, imo of course.

Edited by BlueGaz

7 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I'm not comparing it to anything.  If Rangers do win tonight and go joint 2nd/3rd, after the way they have performed this season, it shows how bad the league actually is, imo of course.

Remember you're looking at Rangers performance relative to their resources, or compared to historic teams. Given the resources available to St Johnstone, they've no right to be competing with Rangers and even to a lesser extent Hearts or Aberdeen.

You could make a case that Rangers aren't being allowed to play well also. Which shows how good the other teams are relatively.

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Remember you're looking at Rangers performance relative to their resources, or compared to historic teams. Given the resources available to St Johnstone, they've no right to be competing with Rangers and even to a lesser extent Hearts or Aberdeen.

You could make a case that Rangers aren't being allowed to play well also. Which shows how good the other teams are relatively.

I'm not taking that into account though mate.  Regardless of their budget, they have only played good, basic football in small spells this season.  They struggle to make good passes under no pressure a lot of the time, thats how poor it has been.

Disagree with your second point too.  I think that a lot of the pressure we have been put under by other teams this year has been our own fault, trying to play it out of defence, almost 100% of the time, and we are not very good at it, basic passes out of defence going straight to the opposition, and up front, we have had a lot of chances and have struggled to score in almost every game.  This is not the opposition doing this, this is our inability to get the fundamentals right.  Generally speaking of course.

I am basing it purely on going to watch them each week and watching 11 players make mistakes, consistently.

24 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I'm not taking that into account though mate.  Regardless of their budget, they have only played good, basic football in small spells this season.  They struggle to make good passes under no pressure a lot of the time, thats how poor it has been.

Disagree with your second point too.  I think that a lot of the pressure we have been put under by other teams this year has been our own fault, trying to play it out of defence, almost 100% of the time, and we are not very good at it, basic passes out of defence going straight to the opposition, and up front, we have had a lot of chances and have struggled to score in almost every game.  This is not the opposition doing this, this is our inability to get the fundamentals right.  Generally speaking of course.

I am basing it purely on going to watch them each week and watching 11 players make mistakes, consistently.

welcome to the scottish league, even celtic make mistakes just slightly less than everyone else. 

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, vanderark14 said:

welcome to the scottish league, even celtic make mistakes just slightly less than everyone else. 

You are missing the point, but ok :ok:

Just now, BlueGaz said:

You are missing the point, but ok :ok:

no I'm not, I get your point and I understand where you are coming from, I'm just saying this is where our game is right now, labeling it awful or shite is wrong IMO

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

no I'm not, I get your point and I understand where you are coming from, I'm just saying this is where our game is right now, labeling it awful or shite is wrong IMO

Ok, thats fair enough.  I just want to see good football each week, and I am being starved of it at the moment.  Going to start supporting Hibs now.

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

On this point, I'm struggling to think of an English game I've enjoyed watching more than a Scottish one this season (out side of the first old firm)

Liverpool v Man Utd was horrendous the other week

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Stu101 said:

Was just about to use that as an example too.  I was quite excited about watching it.  Bad game.

Just now, BlueGaz said:

Ok, thats fair enough.  I just want to see good football each week, and I am being starved of it at the moment.  Going to start supporting Hibs now.

I guess that depends on what you mean by good football..............I used to attend Highland league matches regularly and I preferred that to most professional games. Some end to end games and great goals too. If you want flawless football with little or no mistakes you will struggle to find this in scotland. 

Just now, Stu101 said:

On this point, I'm struggling to think of an English game I've enjoyed watching more than a Scottish one this season (out side of the first old firm)

Completely agree, football doesn't need 22 multi millionaires on the park to be good. 

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, Stu101 said:

After most of them are jailed, they'll need all the fans they can get :ok:

Problem I will have with my new team though, when I run onto the pitch, who do i attack? I could maybe just run around stopping fights.

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If you want flawless football with little or no mistakes you will struggle to find this in scotland. 

When Spain were at their peak and passing teams to death, never misplacing a pass, half the world was moaning that it was "boring". Not me, mind you, i loved it. 

10 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Problem I will have with my new team though, when I run onto the pitch, who do i attack? I could maybe just run around stopping fights.

Ahhh, so are we allowed to imply that all fans of a team who has some fans who have misbehaved, misbehave? 

Dangerous ground you are on there, you pitch-invading, sectarian song singing, Manchester trashing thug. :unsure: 

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Completely agree, football doesn't need 22 multi millionaires on the park to be good. 

I'm training at the moment, so spending around 10/11 hours a week in the gym.

With the various timings its usually a championship game/lower league English game they have on.

There was a game a few weeks back (MK dons?) which was entertaining, but that was mainly down to the level of mistakes made by both sides.

Interestingly the same gym stopped showing the champions league games- as nobody was really interested in them.

25 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:
9 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

With the various timings its usually a championship game/lower league English game they have on.

There was a game a few weeks back (MK dons?) which was entertaining, but that was mainly down to the level of mistakes made by both sides.

Interestingly the same gym stopped showing the champions league games- as nobody was really interested in them.

The CL has become the most boring competition around and its about to get worse next year when the "big four" get more guaranteed places

Guest BlueGaz
55 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ahhh, so are we allowed to imply that all fans of a team who has some fans who have misbehaved, misbehave? 

Of course you can.  Why would we want to change the ethos of the TAMB?

1 hour ago, Stu101 said:

What are you training for? I'm amazed that you have time to watch enough of a football match while training, to form an opinion on it... 

3 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

If (big if) Hearts beat Killie tonight, we go second. This current Hearts side really shouldn't be in second place at this stage of the season in the top league in Scotland. Even more so this Rangers team, so to some extent, take your point on that one.

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Find this comment, and many, many others here and elsewhere by Rangers fans, interesting. I rarely, if ever, see any credit given to other teams in the Premiership; if Rangers aren't winning 4-0 it must be because Rangers are doing something wrong, not that their opponents doing something right. To me the difference in standard between the Premiership and Championship may not be huge, but it is still very real. When Hearts were in the Championship teams sat back against us, let us play it out of defence, gave Gomis and Buaben time on the ball. Most games we had won by half time, and 3 or 4 nil wins were commonplace, particularly as the part time teams ran out of steam towards the end. As easy a season as you could hope for. Right away in the Premiership, from the first game against St Johnstone, teams pressed us higher up the pitch and we found it much harder. Gomis and Buaben in particular just couldn't handle it, and were quickly replaced. Teams also played the full 90 minutes against us, which many just couldn't do the year before. We still won more than we lost, but just about every game was close and a scrap. To me, pretty much the same thing has happened to Rangers, and I'd give the Premiership a lot of credit for how ordinary much of this Rangers team has looked so far this season.

27 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What are you training for? I'm amazed that you have time to watch enough of a football match while training, to form an opinion on it... 

Couple of marathons early next year. I stick to the treadmills these days when training. Easier on my knees.

15 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Couple of marathons early next year. I stick to the treadmills these days when training. Easier on my knees.

Ah, low intensity cardio. I'll let you off then. 

The amount of folk who do weight training and spend more time on their mobile phone than actually lifting is astounding. Hence my query. 

Guest BlueGaz
33 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

If (big if) Hearts beat Killie tonight, we go second. This current Hearts side really shouldn't be in second place at this stage of the season in the top league in Scotland. Even more so this Rangers team, so to some extent, take your point on that one.

Find this comment, and many, many others here and elsewhere by Rangers fans, interesting. I rarely, if ever, see any credit given to other teams in the Premiership; if Rangers aren't winning 4-0 it must be because Rangers are doing something wrong, not that their opponents doing something right. To me the difference in standard between the Premiership and Championship may not be huge, but it is still very real. When Hearts were in the Championship teams sat back against us, let us play it out of defence, gave Gomis and Buaben time on the ball. Most games we had won by half time, and 3 or 4 nil wins were commonplace, particularly as the part time teams ran out of steam towards the end. As easy a season as you could hope for. Right away in the Premiership, from the first game against St Johnstone, teams pressed us higher up the pitch and we found it much harder. Gomis and Buaben in particular just couldn't handle it, and were quickly replaced. Teams also played the full 90 minutes against us, which many just couldn't do the year before. We still won more than we lost, but just about every game was close and a scrap. To me, pretty much the same thing has happened to Rangers, and I'd give the Premiership a lot of credit for how ordinary much of this Rangers team has looked so far this season.

I understand what you are saying, but can't agree totally.  I don't totally dismiss the input that opposition have had in each game, bit it is a lot simpler to me that you suggest.  We have played very badly in a few games this season, but totally dominated the game.  How can we play badly but still dominate, because the opposition were very poor.  These games should have been a win for Rangers, but most ended in a draw.  Had we been able to do something with out possession, we would have had double the chances we actually had.  Again, if we weren't so poor in these games, we would have at least sneaked a 1 goal advantage.  

So, thats 3 games I am talking about, we should right now be sat on 21 points, just by playing 'ok'.  nothing more than that.  hence, it is our poor play that we are sat on 15 points and not 21, nothing to do with the quality of our opposition.  Where our opposition showed quality, they got the points.

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ah, low intensity cardio. I'll let you off then. 

The amount of folk who do weight training and spend more time on their mobile phone than actually lifting is astounding. Hence my query. 

You're quite right to query. The gym my work is with is in a posher part of Edinburgh.... and it's astounding bad in there.