Competitive football is back - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Competitive football is back

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Mox said:

You're welcome ma man, anytime. Now sit back and relax cause you've got another 10 months to deal with.

Aye, it's pish.

I'm just annoyed because it's started aw oo'er again. i didnae want to be in Europe, we could do with another 5 weeks break. 

Edited by Rossy

Well that was an indifferent evening. 

Bucketload of chances,about 7 (2) goals chopped off,big man up front knocking balls down for fun,Jack still not a captain,a midfielder that appears to be leaving starting in front of promising youngsters,some pr1ck with a drum in the merkland stand ready to be battered already and a victory. 

Happy days. 

Their keeper was outstanding,few cracking saves,could quite easily been 7 or 8. 

Our keeper on the other hand got bored in the first half and decided to venture into the opposite half to shout instructions at players,bizarre never even covered it :lol:

Personal highlight was a player down like he's been shot,screaming for the ball to go out of play,sees the ball coming to him,gets up,makes an arse of the clearance and going down again,quite possibly getting up again to make a hash of another clearance and finally getting stretchered off. 

The pies are also better,but the bovril was still about 200 degrees. 

Well that was quite sobering, despite doing all I could in the Dutch Mill not to make that the case. First half was awful. Hardly surprising though given we've not really had a break and McGinn is still trying to work out if he's finishing last season or starting this one. 

The opposition - despite them being from the footballing powerhouse of Luxembourg and part time, they were ok and I think we've played worse teams in the Scottish Premier League.  Their keeper had a blinder.

As for the Dons - too much of the same. I hate to start slagging players off already but Jack and McLean are terrible. Hayes was brilliant again. Only fair that Logan and Shinnie get positive mentions. McGinn ok too but decision making still not great. Taylor unlucky to get two goals chopped off.  Stockley looks useful enough. Couldn't comment on our keeper as he had nothing to do other than host a coffee morning on the half line (and pick the ball out of the net from their one of three shots). 

I think we will win by two or three over there. 

Pretty fair summation there dandydunn. Am not long back down the road in Glasgow after tonight. Felt we were a bitty pedestrian like in the first half. Think we will be quite comfortable over there. We will be a week fitter and their keeper is hardly likely to play any better ever. Big Taylor's first goal - what was wrong with it? Looking forward to my trip to Luxembourg next week. COYR

1 minute ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Utter drivel

Unlucky with his overhead kick, should have scored at least once though.

As for last night's game, I don't think it was as bad as some are making out.

Two disallowed goals, Rooney should have scored when he hit the post, Stockley unlucky with his overhead kick, and probably should have got one or possibly two goals himself.

11 hours ago, Rossy said:

Because we're playing competitive games in f*cqking June, after 2 weeks holidays.

Is it so f*cqking difficult to understand ? 

3-1 Aberdeen. Are we all happy now that we've reached our peak, after 1 pre-season game against Brechin ?

Jesus H. Fuqking Christ. 

I know what you're saying Rossy but these games aren't a surprise.  They happen every season.

There's absolutely no excuse for not being prepared. 

And as for the "we've only had two weeks off" shitey excuse?  I'm terribly sorry but after my holidays I'm expected to perform, as I would guess are you. Why should footballers be any different?

This doesn't just apply to Aberdeen, obviously,  it's just that these tired excuses get right on my nips! ?

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I know what you're saying Rossy but these games aren't a surprise.  They happen every season.

There's absolutely no excuse for not being prepared. 

And as for the "we've only had two weeks off" shitey excuse?  I'm terribly sorry but after my holidays I'm expected to perform, as I would guess are you. Why should footballers be any different?

This doesn't just apply to Aberdeen, obviously,  it's just that these tired excuses get right on my nips! ?

The reason every single team in world football has a series of warm-up games before a season begins is to allow players to build up competitive fitness after an extended break, and to allow new players to get used to their teammates.

Aberdeen had one game against Brechin. Effectively, we use the European games as pre-season friendlies and any performance and result should be judged in that context.

I presume that you're not a professional athlete (I know I'm not), so I would hardly say that coming back from a fortnight away to a desk job is any way comparable with footballers returning after a summer break.

Guest BlueGaz

If your ability to perform totally relies upon your physical fitness, then they shouldn't be any different to you.  If it doesn't, then of course it should be different for them. :huh:

34 minutes ago, Rossy said:

The reason every single team in world football has a series of warm-up games before a season begins is to allow players to build up competitive fitness after an extended break, and to allow new players to get used to their teammates.

Aberdeen had one game against Brechin. Effectively, we use the European games as pre-season friendlies and any performance and result should be judged in that context.

I presume that you're not a professional athlete (I know I'm not), so I would hardly say that coming back from a fortnight away to a desk job is any way comparable with footballers returning after a summer break.

Whether they're athletes or not has feck all to do with it.

Everyone has skills or abilities they require for their job. If they can't keep them up to date then that's their fault.

Scottish teams continually moan about these games but change absolutely nothing about their preparation. 

If they want to win these games and progress then prepare properly. If, as you're saying, they treat these games like pre-season friendlies then they shouldn't bother entering the competition. They don't have to take up the place and another team who did take it seriously could enter instead.

This current attitude is part of the reason Scottish football is struggling so badly.

45 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Everyone has skills or abilities they require for their job. If they can't keep them up to date then that's their fault.

Scottish teams continually moan about these games but change absolutely nothing about their preparation. 

If they want to win these games and progress then prepare properly. If, as you're saying, they treat these games like pre-season friendlies then they shouldn't bother entering the competition. They don't have to take up the place and another team who did take it seriously could enter instead.

This current attitude is part of the reason Scottish football is struggling so badly.

I'm wondering if you're actually thinking through what you're posting.

Aberdeen and Hearts finished their season only 6 weeks ago. A long, hard, arduous season without a break for many. There are injuries and niggles to cope with, some times players need operations to get rid of long-standing problems.

In an ideal world, these players would get (at least) a full 6 weeks to recover, then begin pre-season training and get involved in a series of pre-season games, all designed to get them performing optimally come the start of the new season in August.

When you're playing a competitive game in June, you don't have that luxury. You either cut back on player's recuperation and put in a full pre-season....even then, that's very difficult because there are very few teams to play friendlies against.....or you incorporate these European games as part of pre-season preparation.

There are simply no other options.

Maybe though, you have some brilliant solution to this dilema ? I hope so, I'd hate to think that you were simply having a random go at Aberdeen.

Guest BlueGaz

Yes it does.  An athletes body needs rest when it is hammered for so long.  Most will keep themselves ticking over during the holidays, but you lose sharpness.  If you were to keep the levels required to be a professional footballer, your body would never get rested at all.  Seems simple to me, obviously not.

3 hours ago, Bonnie Clyde said:

Why is it annoying?

Because one Muppet has a drum for a start. 

And they can't coordinate a hand clap and pretend to be Icelandic. 

And when they were singing "he plays on the left" at least 2 pairs of hands were swaying to the right. 

And they're right next to where I stand. 

Need I go on?

4 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Utter drivel

2 hours ago, deecie said:

Agreed, but I'm going to give him a few more games before writing him off completely.

he was far better against Brechin on Sunday and I fully expect him to come good. He makes a lot of runs which McLean/Hayes/McGinn seemed to miss last night and it was a similar story on Sunday 

31 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I'm wondering if you're actually thinking through what you're posting.

Aberdeen and Hearts finished their season only 6 weeks ago. A long, hard, arduous season without a break for many. There are injuries and niggles to cope with, some times players need operations to get rid of long-standing problems.

In an ideal world, these players would get (at least) a full 6 weeks to recover, then begin pre-season training and get involved in a series of pre-season games, all designed to get them performing optimally come the start of the new season in August.

When you're playing a competitive game in June, you don't have that luxury. You either cut back on player's recuperation and put in a full pre-season....even then, that's very difficult because there are very few teams to play friendlies against.....or you incorporate these European games as part of pre-season preparation.

There are simply no other options.

Maybe though, you have some brilliant solution to this dilema ? I hope so, I'd hate to think that you were simply having a random go at Aberdeen.

Firstly it's not a "random go at Aberdeen" as I already said. All the Scottish teams moan about this including Rangers in the past.

Why did they need 6 weeks off? To let injuries calm down? So what you're saying is that these teams need to have all of their players fully rested and fully match fit for these games? 

And there is no one to play against other than all the other teams also preparing for European football, obviously? 

These are all just excuses. If there are problems then solve them. If that means summer football or winter shutdowns etc then make the changes. 

The repetition every season of te same excuses for Scottish teams being pish in Europe's early stages isn't good enough. 

I'm assuming we all want Scottish football to improve and for our teams to progress in Europe, so we should stop accepting the lazy excuses.

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Because one Muppet has a drum for a start. 

And they can't coordinate a hand clap and pretend to be Icelandic. 

And when they were singing "he plays on the left" at least 2 pairs of hands were swaying to the right. 

And they're right next to where I stand. 

Need I go on?

thankfully I only stand in section Y on occasion as no way I could put with the George Street Elite every other week. Last night was an embarrassment!!

Good luck to you boys who stand there all season :ok: 

15 minutes ago, clarky1606 said:

thankfully I only stand in section Y on occasion as no way I could put with the George Street Elite every other week. Last night was an embarrassment!!

Good luck to you boys who stand there all season :ok: 

:lol: