Eurovision 2016 thread - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eurovision 2016 thread

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope it wasn't fixed or was there possibly a crime here... :)

So if we send millions of us to spend next may in all the European countries and then vote from wherever we are..we might actually win it !

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Dont think there is any need to drag the thread down with sexist comments

I apologise.

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Its disappointing that Eurovison seems to have moved away from female artists with significant cleavages and bottoms

3 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Only Azerbaijan showing any cleavage so far. ..

3 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Poland last year had some dancers that looked as they had come straight from the Warsaw Sin Club.:D

3 hours ago, buckielugger said:

The polish milk maids ? I definitely voted for them !!

1 hour ago, buckielugger said:

Yeahhhh the polish milk Maids just made it back on :)

2 hours ago, buckielugger said:

About time we got a decent bit of totty. ..gorgeous legs right up to her fanny...marvellous

erm Ally, you've dropped the regulatory ball here. 

Where did my new boyfriend end up on the points table?  I'm away to find out his name as it'll make it less embarrassing when I get him back to the dungeon and remove his blindfold if I know even a wee bit about him. 

9 hours ago, buckielugger said:

So if we send millions of us to spend next may in all the European countries and then vote from wherever we are..we might actually win it !

I was thinking surely the Polish diaspora isn't that widespread in so many countries? It must've been popular with the punters.

I was actually surprised the UK entry was so low down in the public vote, with it's cod Coldplay sound. Maybe they do actually all hate us after all?...

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I was thinking surely the Polish diaspora isn't that widespread in so many countries? It must've been popular with the punters.

I was actually surprised the UK entry was so low down in the public vote, with it's cod Coldplay sound. Maybe they do actually all hate us after all?...

Us

21 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I watched it in Portugal a few years back & thought this. But I haven't liked a uk one since Gina G.:wub:

She was braw whannk fodder when I was a laddie. I'd love to go back to the days when a simple pop music video was all it took for me to batter one off. 

They need to introduce some un biased and reflective voting system otherwise it becomes a farce.

How they do that i dont know.

The last system was broke and this seems to have made it worse

The Ukrainian song has to be the ever winner (at least from what I can remember) and the result was almost certainly political. I feel that the BBC should withdraw from the contest - there's no point funding a contest that the UK has no chance of doing well in.

About the change to the voting system - something was picked up by the San Marino broadcaster. From what's on Wikipedia: "As the new voting system gives equal weight to jury and televoting results, a national televoting/jury result cannot be used as backup result for the jury/televoting. Therefore, if a country cannot deliver a valid televoting/jury result, a substitute result is calculated by the jury/televoting result of a pre-selected group of countries approved by the contest's Reference Group. The Director General of Radiotelevisione della Repubblica di San Marino (SMRTV), Carlo Romeo, stated on 23 February that the use of a substitute televoting result discriminated against microstates like San Marino, which only used a professional jury due to their use of the Italian phone system and would therefore have its voting representation diminished under the new system, and criticised the EBU for not contacting its members before making the decision."

So, the EBU can decide what countries make up the televote for countries that can't provide a televote... How very impartial... :unsure:

12 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I feel that the BBC should withdraw from the contest - there's no point funding a contest that the UK has no chance of doing well in.

If enough people keep watching it they'll keep funding it.

I do think the UK should give up the guaranteed final place which seems to be a disadvantage. Stick in entries from Scotland, England and Wales, as well as a united Irish song. At least there'd be more chance of points form local jurys!

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I do think the UK should give up the guaranteed final place which seems to be a disadvantage. Stick in entries from Scotland, England and Wales, as well as a united Irish song. At least there'd be more chance of points form local jurys!

This.

Having separate UK entries:

Looking at the 2011 Census, living in Scotland by place of birth (for Eurovision countries; above 5,000 people):

1. England - 459,486
  2. Ireland (ROI+NI) - 59,607 (22,952+36,655)
  3. Poland - 55,231
  4. Germany - 22,274
  5. Wales - 17,381
  6. Australia - 8,279 (Sixth is surprisingly high :huh:)
  7. France - 7,147
  8. Italy - 6,048

In England (Eurovision countries; all listed in Census report):

1. Scotland - 708,872
  2. Ireland (ROI+NI) - 601,917 (395,182+206,735)
  3. Poland - 561,098
  4. Wales - 506,619
  5. Germany - 262,356
  6. Italy - 131,195
  7. France - 127,601
  8. Australia - 113,592
  9. Lithuania - 95,730
  10. Portugal - 85,845
  11. Romania - 78,192
  12. Spain - 77,554

In Wales (Eurovision countries; all listed in Census report; above 5,000 people):

1. England - 636,266 (21% of people living in Wales are were born in England)
  2. Scotland - 24,346
  3. Ireland (ROI+NI) - 20,428 (12,175+8,253)
  4. Poland - 18,023
  5. Germany - 11,208