Scottish Cup Question - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Question

9 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Lower league teams have been beating Premiership sides regularly for years now. It isn't just a new phenomenom because we have Rangers and Hibs in the Championship.

League expansion should have happened years ago.

'Lower' teams in this case who will have a bigger budget than most of the top flight clubs too.

9 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Lower league teams have been beating Premiership sides regularly for years now. It isn't just a new phenomenom because we have Rangers and Hibs in the Championship.

League expansion should have happened years ago.

:ok:

yeah, same point I was making from a different angle.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Agree to a point.

Although with less league games, would the league cup move to weekends rather than midweek?

That may help?

This has been a fairly unique couple of seasons with traditionally bigger clubs in the 2nd tier, and likely be 1 or 2, maybe even 3 bigger teams there next year.

Lets be honest though, if 2 from Hamilton, Patrick thistle, ICT, Ross county, stjohnstone, Dundee... went down and Rangers and Hibs came up, most folk would go back to not giving a hoot about the 2nd tier.

You forgot to mention Motherwell in your list of diddy teams.

13 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

You forgot to mention Motherwell in your list of diddy teams.

It's a shame St Mirren got relegated, they were main stays in my diddy team examples.

:lol:

Motherwell, Killie and Dundee United were the "dot dot dot",

:P

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

It's a shame St Mirren got relegated, they were main stays in my diddy team examples.

:lol:

Motherwell, Killie and Dundee United were the "dot dot dot",

:P

I know, I spent years falling out with Marky and Jim because whenever I thought about a Premiership diddy team, St Mirren came instantly to mind. They were my go-to example.

And then they got relegated and became a real diddy team, and I can't use them anymore.

Devastating :(

Edited by Rossy

I'd go for a 16 team top league. If we've discovered anything over the past 4 years it's that 4 Old Firm games a season aren't essential.

30 league games a season is more than enough, especially with an expanded League Cup. Might give a bit more space in the year to focus on other sports too...

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Poland have a 16 team league with a split after 30 games. I'd go for that. Total of 37 games. 

I'd like to give that a go. 

And with direct flights from Aberdeen International to both Warsaw and Gdansk, you can live your dream of giving Polish football a go.

8 minutes ago, deecie said:

And with direct flights from Aberdeen International to both Warsaw and Gdansk, you can live your dream of giving Polish football a go.

Your patter is truly rank-rotten :lol: 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Poland have a 16 team league with a split after 30 games. I'd go for that. Total of 37 games.

I'd doubt the teams battling it out at the top and bottom would be happy an uneven home/away split with their direct rivals. It'd be interesting to hear what the Poles make of it? (I could always take a direct flight from Glasgow and ask them personally)...

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I'd doubt the teams battling it out at the top and bottom would be happy an uneven home/away split with their direct rivals. It'd be interesting to hear what the Poles make of it? (I could always take a direct flight from Glasgow and ask them personally)...

or you could pop into the Polish Shop in Paisley and save yirself the airfare and language difficulties.. :ok:

30 minutes ago, stocky said:

or you could pop into the Polish Shop in Paisley and save yirself the airfare and language difficulties.. :ok:

Is that still open?  Not been into Paisley in months but last time I was in I thought it had closed down.