The big game tonight - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The big game tonight

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Cmon, it would be hilarious if we sent you down, especially at Tannadice. 

You might think that, I'm unlikely to agree.

While I'm not scared of relegation and plan to be there the day it happens, I don't think in good conscious I could subject my kids to that if it turns out that the Dees are the executioners.  Let's just hope you shower end up in the top six...

3 hours ago, Rossy said:

I doubt if United will be out of the top flight for more than a season or two.

They'll still have one of the biggest budgets in the Championship next season, and as Hearts and Hibs have shown, being top of a lower league gives the players and fans more confidence than being bottom of a higher league.

Who'll be in the Championship with them next season ? Motherwell or Killie ? Falkirk ? I don't see too many problems for United.

A bold prediction. 6 points between the play off spot and 4th. That's 8 teams involved. Utd won't hold on to their best players and if Rangers or Hibs don't come up and St Mirren get their act together along with Dunfermline keeping their team together and strengthening it could be a tough time ahead for Utd if it's not done right.

4 hours ago, Rossy said:

Who'll be in the Championship with them next season ? Motherwell or Killie ? Falkirk ? I don't see too many problems for United.

2 hours ago, fishcumnock said:

Motherwell just fukn humped them  - no problem ?

Not to mention finishing above them 3 of the last 4 seasons, and being 15 points ahead this.

aye, they'd skoosh it!

:lol:

43 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

A bold prediction. 6 points between the play off spot and 4th. That's 8 teams involved. Utd won't hold on to their best players and if Rangers or Hibs don't come up and St Mirren get their act together along with Dunfermline keeping their team together and strengthening it could be a tough time ahead for Utd if it's not done right.

I don't mean they would necessarily come straight up.

They could well do a Hibs....have one shite season in the Championship and then have the budget to gradually invest in building a new team.

It's amazing what a few wins in a row against Dumbarton and the likes can do to the confidence of a team, and with no real 'big team' (A Rangers, Hibs or Hearts) in the Championship, I'd expect United to be there or there abouts within a season or two.

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Eh?  What "best players"?

There's Blair Spittal and, em ,  that's about it.  There's not a single other player in the squad I'd give two fecks about losing.

56 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I don't mean they would necessarily come straight up.

They could well do a Hibs....have one shite season in the Championship and then have the budget to gradually invest in building a new team.

It's amazing what a few wins in a row against Dumbarton and the likes can do to the confidence of a team, and with no real 'big team' (A Rangers, Hibs or Hearts) in the Championship, I'd expect United to be there or there abouts within a season or two.

The last time a United team failed to finish the season either in the top division or promoted to the top division was 1958/59.  

Anything other than an immediate return is unthinkable.

4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

The last time a United team failed to finish the season either in the top division or promoted to the top division was 1958/59.  

It's going to be tricky, if one of Hibs or Rangers don't come up through the play off you'll have them, if they do come up, you'll have Killie, thistle or (hopefully not!) Motherwell to fight it out with, aswell as Falkirk, St Mirren, Dunfermline.

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It's going to be tricky, if one of Hibs or Rangers don't come up through the play off you'll have them, if they do come up, you'll have Killie, thistle or (hopefully not!) Motherwell to fight it out with, aswell as Falkirk, St Mirren, Dunfermline.

It is going to be difficult.  Assuming Hibs or Rangers go up then a club the size of Dundee Utd should at the very least be favourites over the other clubs you mention.

Kilmarnock and Well would definitely be a challenge.  The Jags, I assume, would revert to being a run-of-the-mill mid-table Div 1 team, as would Hamilton.  

And if we're running scared of Falkirk, St Mirren and Dunfermline then we really need to have a good look at ourselves.  ANOTHER good look at ourselves.  We've been having a good look at ourselves a lot lately...

24 minutes ago, adamntg said:

You have Les Mottram to profoundly thank for maintaining that statistic.

Edited by Barney Rubble

17 minutes ago, Alan said:

Chris Erskine already signed pre contract with Thistle. Would like to pick up Robbie Muirhead and Paul Paton at end of season.

You might get Muirhead for nothing, but United paid £180K for him a year ago and he's on a long contract.  I would sincerely hope that whoever's doing the rudder next season isn't daft enough to throw absolutely everything overboard, but you never know.

I'd make Paton captain personally.  Think his contract has a bit to go as well.

23 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Rab Shannon knows.

Hey hey!  I found it! Partick think they should've had two penalties in the second leg play off in 1996!

Well, I would say the following :

1) The first penalty was debatable.

2) The requested second penalty was highly debatable, looked a dive to me, but the film is so old it's hard to tell.

3) And if it were a foul it was definitely outside the box.

4) Just because you get a penalty there's no guarantee that you'll score it.

5) You've got a more legit gripe about Casalinuovo's handball, although that game ended 2-0.

Don't see why we should lose anyone we don't want to if they are under contract. It's not administration we are in- well I hope not anyway. Get rid of half the first team flops and short term mercenaries and continue with the rest plus the best of our youth. Home gates won't plummet - one of the most consistent home crowds in the league. And if we start well crowds may if anything increase towards the end if promotion is a possibility. Will miss out on half a million in prize money though - that's the big hit. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Eh?  What "best players"?

There's Blair Spittal and, em ,  that's about it.  There's not a single other player in the squad I'd give two fecks about losing.

I'd take the boy Rankin at Fir Park and... er...have you still got Eamonn Bannon?

Right enough your once decent team has been ripped apart. Crazy stuff.