Time To Ditch Hampden For Semi Finals? - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Time To Ditch Hampden For Semi Finals?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all my days I don't think I can recall Tannadice ever being used as a neutral venue.

I think that was mostly due to the playing surface. Until very recently Dens has always been one of the best paying surfaces in Scotland (something to do with the amount of manure on it, folk tell me), The Tannadice playing surface has been one of the worst. There is a very good reason why they are called Arabs.

Steamroller Hampden.. It's sh1t.

Use Parkhead, Ibrox or Murrayfield for full internationals or semis and finals that will attract the required numbers.

Build a 25-30k seater stadium in Perth or Dundee. Ideally Dundee with both clubs sharing the ground. Alternatively, Aberdeen build a 25-30k seater stadium.

Just "brainstorming"!

That's what I was alluding to with my post. Dundee is ideal, location wise, and let's be frank, both grounds in Dundee arent great now. Both clubs would benefit from an upgrade.

I too, wouldn't shed any tears if we did away with Hampden. Unless it's jam packed, it's devoid of any atmosphere, and when it is jam-packed, its such a shambles to get to/from, it takes bit away from the occasion, from a supporters point of view.

Edited by Angus_Young

Aberdeen played Dundee utd at dens park in the league cup semi final 99-2000.. 5500 tickets each! Was an absolute nightmare getting tickets for.

We then played Hibs in the Scottish cup semi the same season at Hampden at 6 o'clock on a Sunday night.. Hibs had 17000 fans there. We had under 6000 fans!

Both these semis should've been at Tyncastle! The sfa at there finest

Aberdeen played Dundee utd at dens park in the league cup semi final 99-2000.. 5500 tickets each! Was an absolute nightmare getting tickets for.

We then played Hibs in the Scottish cup semi the same season at Hampden at 6 o'clock on a Sunday night.. Hibs had 17000 fans there. We had under 6000 fans!

Both these semis should've been at Tyncastle! The sfa at there finest

That the year you put us out at Pittodrie? League Cup obviously. Scottish Cup was when Winters ended up in goals in the final wasn't it?

Just came to my mind that I was at 2 Aberdeen semi-finals at Hampden in the late 1970's/early 80's......v Partick Thistle in 1978 and v Hibs in 1980.

Both games were midweek evening KO's (cheers SFA)...the crowd for the Thistle game was 12,282, and the crowd for the Hibs game was a whopping 9,387.

I was also at a Dryborough cup final in 1980 against St Mirren where a massive 6,994 turned up.

These were the old days where Hampden could hold 100K +, and the whole ground was open. It was surreal being in the west terracing and being able to hear people in the east terracing talk to their neeburs.... :lol:

League Cup semi always used to be midweek did they not?

It was only relatively recently that was changed I think?

They were always midweek, but I think it changed around 16 years ago.

Aberdeen's semi against Dundee United at Dens was on a Sunday.

And while we are on it, WTF is the League Cup Final doing on a Sunday anyway?

Don't just say it always has as that isn't a good enough reason. It should be 15:00 on a Saturday. No messing.

It's a ball ache for me getting up and back, can't get the Monday off, so will need to be hot tailing it from Hampden.

J

However, the last one against them at Tynecastle was scheduled for a Tuesday, went off, and then got replayed the following Tuesday.

That was 8 years ago.

They were still midweek after that mate as I can mind being at old firm semis that were midweek. Also remember a game where we horsed Dundee Utd 7-1 which was midweek. It Was Barry Fergusons first game back after his move To Blackburn.

Had a quick look and it appears the first time they were played at the weekend was when you boys were scudded by Dundee Utd 4-1?

We beat them on penalties in the final that year. Luckily I may add, Utd really should have won that game.

And while we are on it, WTF is the League Cup Final doing on a Sunday anyway?

Don't just say it always has as that isn't a good enough reason. It should be 15:00 on a Saturday. No messing.

It's a ball ache for me getting up and back, can't get the Monday off, so will need to be hot tailing it from Hampden.

J

Should be on a Saturday but since when did they think of the fans

when did you parade the cup when you won it in 2007?

They were still midweek after that mate as I can mind being at old firm semis that were midweek. Also remember a game where we horsed Dundee Utd 7-1 which was midweek. It Was Barry Fergusons first game back after his move To Blackburn.

Had a quick look and it appears the first time they were played at the weekend was when you boys were scudded by Dundee Utd 4-1?

We beat them on penalties in the final that year. Luckily I may add, Utd really should have won that game.

Mark Kerr sucks cocks in Hell.

Should be on a Saturday but since when did they think of the fans

when did you parade the cup when you won it in 2007?

Straight after the game, had a few beers in the Weedge, then headed back to Edinburgh. Dropped some gear off at the South Side then a fast black down to Leith. They were closing the streets off along Princes Street and down Leith Street/Walk as we were racing through in the taxi. Brilliant experience.

J